Gibson Brands Forums

Dealers that have Gibson Inventory and Pics

Blaster

I've noticed that some Guitar stores have pictures of their Gibson inventory and others don't. I used to like checking out Fuller Guitars website and seeing some of the latest Montana Division creations, but now the pics are gone and there's not reference that I can find of what they have in stock, same with a few other well known stores. Are Gibson dealers out there who have their inventory on-line?

A while back Gibson came up with some rules about online advertising and now only certain dealers are allowed to do it.

Some that do provide pictures of the specific guitar for sale (not standard advertising photos), the ones I know of are - Dave's, Rainbow, Wildwood, Sweetwater and MusicZoo.

http://www2.gibson.com/Support/Online-Dealers.aspx

Fuller's will work with you via phone, email and photo attachments.

If I were Fullers, I would drop Gibson just as Elderly did. (albeit different reasons)

Surely, they are disadvantaged by those who can advertise.

I don't think fuller's would do that

people still seek them out for gibsons

I think the fact that people know the kind of person Jeremy is so they look to buy from him

If I were Fullers, I would drop Gibson ...

If I were you, I wouldn't assume that Fuller's is an innocent victim, stripped of its Authorized Internet Dealer status for no reason.

-- Bob R

What would make Gibson pull that plug??

I don't know of any reason in this particular case, but there have been cases of major, highly-respected dealers who have been "punished" for perceived violations of their dealer agreements. Gibson won't talk about this, but some of the dealers have put their version of events out.

Please do take this with a grain of salt, but there have been stories of people buying late-model Gibson acoustics on eBay from seemingly "random" Texans and having their credit card charged by Fuller's for the full amount of the sale. IF -- note the big "if" -- Gibson determined Fuller's was selling through through "fronts" on eBay, it would be a reason.

-- Bob R

If I were you, I wouldn't assume that Fuller's is an innocent victim, stripped of its Authorized Internet Dealer status for no reason.

-- Bob R

No such assumption has been made. Elderly wasn't an 'innocent' party.

Gibson have some bizarre dealer practices. Thats why a Martin or Taylor guitar can be found almost anywhere,

and a Gibson acoustics can't.

Thanks for explaining the reasoning behind the inventory/pictures on the various Gibson dealer websites. I guess Gibson is well within their rights to determine who sells their product and how. I wish they would set up some criteria with regard to the specs on Guitar photography. IMO most of the big internet companies fall short in this category.

There's a place up in New Hampshire called Mark's Guitar Loft run by Mark Bishop, and he takes some beautiful high quality pictures of the instruments he has for sale. He is frequently mentioned on the Les Paul Forum, and is a "go to" dealer for those that want to buy "used" instruments. Whatever he lists and photographs in his inventory is represented in a very professional manner, usually there are many pictures taken from different angles and he also goes to great detail describing the tone of the guitar's pickups, the neck profile from a player's perspective and a lot more. If I was a guitar manufacturer, I'd want someone like him representing and selling my product, or at the very least training those who do.

. . . Please do take this with a grain of salt, but there have been stories of people buying late-model Gibson acoustics on eBay from seemingly "random" Texans and having their credit card charged by Fuller's for the full amount of the sale. IF -- note the big "if" -- Gibson determined Fuller's was selling through through "fronts" on eBay, it would be a reason. . . .

Quite a nasty story, but yes, I've seen some of Fuller's stock on eBay. I recall that Fuller's online Gibson advertising was pulled the same time as my local authorized dealer, and I know what my local dealer told me. To my knowledge, many authorized dealers are prevented from advertising online through their dealer agreements. If you look at where Gibson's authorized online dealers are located (not the omnipresent giants MF/GC/etc), they're more or less laid out around the country with geographical territories.

That Elderly thing was a shame, especially since the shop is local for me. Thankfully, Elderly still keeps a killer stock of used Gibsons. All that rot over a frickin' banjo.

Gibson have some bizarre dealer practices.

Qualitatively, I don't think the conditions Gibson imposes on dealers are much different from the conditions imposed by Martin and Taylor. Gibson does set the parameters so as to weed out dealers who aren't moving stock, however. Why? See below.

Thats why a Martin or Taylor guitar can be found almost anywhere,

and a Gibson acoustics can't.

Both Martin and Taylor build something like seven times as many guitars as Gibson builds in Bozeman. So Gibson either has to have many fewer acoustic dealers or have a comparable number of dealers with a very poor selection. Gibson chose to go with fewer dealers.

-- Bob R

I wrote southpaw guitar some time ago ... And they told me that in order to be able to advertise you have to sell a certain amount I think

100,000 in sales (can't remember exactly could be more) it could be 1,000,000 . So if you don't get to that certain amount in sales Gibson takes the right of images and adverts .

Gibson should have the right to determine who is an "authorized" dealer and who isn't. If the business model works for them, so be it. If others (i.e.; Taylor, etc.) make better marketing decisions then Gibson will become less profitable and either lose market share or change in response. It is their business to run as they see fit. Any unhappiness we might have must be fed back to them in official complaints, decisions to not buy Gibson products, or ineffectual rants at places such as this. Hungry guitar manufacturers will find their niche in the gaps giants like Gibson create in the business field. That is how new entries into the marketplace occur. Gibson's (or anyone else's) marketing, manufacturing, or customer service mistakes end up benefiting the consumer in the long run because new brands or models show up in the marketplace. What might be bad for Gibson could be good for guitar players...providing they are willing to look beyond a single brand.

Archived