Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Humidifer's

Steven Tari

I just took my new LAG 12 string over to the guy's that help take care of my guitars. They were impressed and happy that I brought it over for them to look at and hear. While I was their at both places I was asked about what kind of humidifer I used in my guitars. This caught me off guard, because I've not paid much attention to humidifer's or listened when people talked about them. But after what happened to my last 12 string I thought I better listen and find out more about it. The one I was sold was a Grover guitar humidifer that didn't come with much info. does anyone else use this humidifer and is the humidifer for just acoustics or do you use them for anyother kind's of guitars? I usually keep my guitars in my garage with my amps, but here lately I've kept a couple in the house while I'm working on moving stuff into the new gurage. One of these was the 12 string that broke in the case. Please tell me what you know on this subject. What other things should I have to help in this subject. //Thanks Steven [confused]

I only humidify my acoustics. Years ago I started with a Dampit. I didn't like them as they would leak unless you squeezed out almost all the water.

When you did that, it would only last a few days before you had to recharge it. A real PITA.

I tried a Kaiser and didn't like it either. I then went to a Planet Waves sound hole humidifier. I liked it and used it for a few years.

It started leaking so I went to buy another but they started using a small piece of kitchen sponge inside which I didn't like.

For the past 3 or 4 years I've used the Oasis soundhole humidifier which I really like a lot.

It doesn't leak and stays charged for around 2 weeks, depending upon the room humidity.

They also make the same kind with a clip if you want to attach it to the inside of the case.

I've turned a few people on to it and they all like it.

I just took my new LAG 12 string over to the guy's that help take care of my guitars. They were impressed and happy that I brought it over for them to look at and hear. While I was their at both places I was asked about what kind of humidifer I used in my guitars. This caught me off guard, because I've not paid much attention to humidifer's or listened when people talked about them. But after what happened to my last 12 string I thought I better listen and find out more about it. The one I was sold was a Grover guitar humidifer that didn't come with much info. does anyone else use this humidifer and is the humidifer for just acoustics or do you use them for anyother kind's of guitars? I usually keep my guitars in my garage with my amps, but here lately I've kept a couple in the house while I'm working on moving stuff into the new gurage. One of these was the 12 string that broke in the case. Please tell me what you know on this subject. What other things should I have to help in this subject. //Thanks Steven [confused]

One luthier advise me to buy a very basic hygrometer for that room where keeping guitars.Especially winter months decreases humidity, and if it goes below 35% he recommend to keep acoustics in a hard case and use the humidifier to avoid top cracks and shrink of wood.I have had now Planet Waves humidifier about 3 years without problems, no stick out fret ends etc.anymore if you check it once in a week.Easy to use.

Planet Waves humidifier

I make humidifiers out of the plastic containers that you keep a bar of soap in for traveling. I drilled holes in the top and put a sponge in it. I re-wet the sponge with distiled water only when it gets dry. Works great and is cheap. I use these on my acoustic and my archtops.

Thanks John

Archived