Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Gospel reissue tweaks?

Lee M

I have a 1993 Gibson Gospel reissue (built in Bozeman, MT) that I bought used in 1998. It's stock as far as I know. I love the acoustic sound and the plugged in sound with a K&K Pure Western pickup thru a K&K Pure preamp. Thinking about some minor tweaks, maybe a compensated saddle and nicer bridge pins. Anyone know what the stock saddle material is? Will a compensated saddle improve intonation (as many claim) or should I stick with the straight saddle in a denser material like bone? I don't expect to hear any difference from bridge pins but I like the white ones with black dots for appearance. I am currently using light gage (.012) strings and will probably stick with them even though mediums seem to give a slightly fuller tone.

I love the acoustic sound and the plugged in sound with a K&K Pure Western pickup thru a K&K Pure preamp.
If it sounds that good I'd not change anything except maybe string brand. Are you having an intonation problem that makes you want to try a compensated bridge?

I bought that same model recently and oh my, did I luck up, what a wonderful guitar! Truly, it may be the best sounding guitar I've ever heard. But the action is too low on mine. I never thought I'd say that! But I will have to get another saddle to raise it up, I get string slap noise if I hit it hard when strumming.

I bought that same model recently and oh my, did I luck up, what a wonderful guitar! Truly, it may be the best sounding guitar I've ever heard.

Considering your impressive guitar collection, that is saying something. I have had many compliments on the sound of my guitar, in spite of my mediocre playing, [biggrin]

If it sounds that good I'd not change anything except maybe string brand. Are you having an intonation problem that makes you want to try a compensated bridge?

The B at the 12th fret is slightly sharp compared to the open string but I rarely play that far up the neck so it probably doesn't matter.

Archived