Gibson Brands Forums

Black Diamond strings?

dhanners623

Anyone out there use Black Diamond strings? I usually use D'Addario EJ-17s on my J-45 and IB'64 Texan, but I saw an ad for BDs and started feeling nostalgic. They were the first guitar strings I ever used (back in the '70s) because that's what the pharmacy (!) in my little hometown carried.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had tried them lately, had any strong opinions pro or con, etc.

Anyone out there use Black Diamond strings? I usually use D'Addario EJ-17s on my J-45 and IB'64 Texan, but I saw an ad for BDs and started feeling nostalgic. They were the first guitar strings I ever used (back in the '70s) because that's what the pharmacy (!) in my little hometown carried.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had tried them lately, had any strong opinions pro or con, etc.

I have a pack sitting in my string bin just waiting to try, but I can't decide which guitar to try them on. If anyone does have experience...I would be interested too! Mine are the black coated strings.

I used 'em too back in the early '70s, bought 'em because they were cheap.

Been using D'Addario J-17s for many years and my dim memory says: keep using the D'Addarios!

I wanted to try some flat wound electric strings on my Epiphone J-160E, and the only set the I could find locally was these:

bdstring_s.jpg

They sound and feel good, but the only thing I have to compare them with are the horrible old rusted strings that were on the J-160E when I bought it.

Guy Clark and Emmylou Harris could make any strings sound good....

When I was teaching myself to play, in the early '70s, I learned on my brother's old Stella. It didn't have any strings on it, but I remember seeing individual Black Diamond strings up at Millikan Pharmacy on the corner of Main and Central so I went up there to check them out. Fortunately, they came in little sacks with the numbers "1" and "2" etc. on them, so I figured that corresponded to which strings they were. Once I figured out how to tune the thing to the piano, I was on my way....

I've got a set left and one set still on a guitar. They're coated black (something relatively new for them). They sound pretty decent. Kind of flat and muffled tone at first, but they opened-up very nicely. The company was purchased by someone else several years ago, so I don't know how similar they are to what they had been. Still made in the USA, but from what I've heard in interviews of some old pickers, they are not the same as they were back when Guy Clark wrote the song. Anyway, here's a link to their site....http://www.blackdiamondstrings.com/index.html

I used them years ago on my old Martin but found them a bit stiff - tried Martin Silk and Steels and didn't care for them - It might have had something to do with the fact that before my boss reset the neck and restored my old guitar it had an action similar to playing a cheese slicer. I use mostly John Pearse mediums now but might try some of the new Black Diamonds now that she's been set up properly

B

I'm always amazed by how many of us have stories of starting out on old guitars with bad action and rusted strings--and they were usually black diamonds. Maybe what makes guitar players unique is our stubborn persistence to play on. And now we talk about bridge pins, tuners, and bone saddles. Hah!

Of course, in those first days, we only changed a string if one broke, so I suppose BDs got their reputation in part because we left them on so darn long. I remember the wound strings as silver, not bronze or black, colored, so I guess they were nickel wound. If they made different types, I was not aware of it then. They were just guitar strings.

It wasn't until I went over to the music store in Terre Haute -- and saw the rows of strings by different manufacturers -- that I realized there were more types of strings than just Black Diamonds.

These days, it is pretty hard for me to veer from my string choices -- EJ-17s on my J-45 and IB'64 Texan, and Red mediums on my kit-built mahogany dread. But the nostalgia bug hit me and I was wondering what Black Diamonds sounded like these days. Then again, the last guitar I had them on, that plywood Stella, would not have sounded good with any type of strings on it. But it got me through.

Archived