Gibson Brands Forums

So I might not be the most sensitive person...

Silenced Fred

But how in the hell do I tell my other guitar player that he is overplaying the hell out of a song? We need to record something to submit to play at my college, and he is treating the song like its an instrumental jam and hes ****ing Yngie Malmsteen. I told him I want some slight nuance playing because we aren't playing with a bassist and I have my chords that need to take up a bit of room.

he's just soloing over the whole damn thing, and right now I'm about to lose it. So help me, how do I curteously say that he is wanking all over the fretboard and I don't want to clean up the mess he's leaving?

But how in the hell do I tell my other guitar player that he is overplaying the hell out of a song? We need to record something to submit to play at my college, and he is treating the song like its an instrumental jam and hes ****ing Yngie Malmsteen. I told him I want some slight nuance playing because we aren't playing with a bassist and I have my chords that need to take up a bit of room.

he's just soloing over the whole damn thing, and right now I'm about to lose it. So help me, how do I curteously say that he is wanking all over the fretboard and I don't want to clean up the mess he's leaving?

i say with a bit more practice you may be as good as him...haters stop hating!

[biggrin]

Stare at him while you unplug his guitar from the amp and the hiss at him...

He toned it down and recorded a cool little ditty over the chorus, but he messed up a few times. I told him to do that on the next take

****ing Malmsteen is back and he brought Steve Vai with him. Seriously, I'm going to kill him right now. I'm running the computer while he's recording over it

I feel for you, Fred. I have to deal with that same thing, all too often,

with our other guitar player. In his defense, I will say, he was used to

playing 3-piece (Gutiar, Bass, Drums) bands, for a LONG time. So, I think

he just does it, "naturally," that way. I'm working on him, though. Time

will tell. He's pretty "easy going," so...I think we'll, eventually, come

to some middle ground. Hopefully, anyway.

We both grew up (in the '60's), where "wanking about, on and on," with long

solos, was "normal." What actually cured me, of that...was going to Jazz

concerts, and (especially) "Open Mic" nights, where trumpet and sax players

would go "on and on, and on!" I loved it, for the first 16 bars, or so...

maybe a bit longer, but after that, it became tedious. That's when my "light

bulb" went off, regarding cutting back, on my own soloing. That was decades

ago, and I rarely play any longer than absolutely necessary, anymore.

So, if he's good, and you're friends, just keep at him. If not...find another

player.

CB

Bring him to the side (don't call him out in front of god and everyone) and calmly tell him you think he needs to tone it down. Explain how it's important for a band to function as such, it is not his show, it is everyone's show. His soloing may stunt the song, and I find that most of the time it takes away from the solos. The idea being that if it's always the same, what's the point? If I hear a 3 minute long solo, I get bored by the 30 second line. Just explain yourself clearly, calmly, and as politely as you can. He needs to work with the band, not on top of the band.

If he takes it as insulting, well too bad for him if you asked me.

He's the one being insensitive in my opinion.

how can you mock someone for expressing his musicality?

nat, pull him to one side and tell him that his musical skills are awesome but don't fit the songs your working on...don't mock him on an internet forum [rolleyes]

jus sayin :)

I just talked to him about it and he's like I'm not soloing, I'm doing small little accent playing... [cursing]

He's a good friend, but I'm about ready to kill him.

Solo gigs are looking better and better...

LOL...boy, does THIS sound familiar! Some songs just don't "need" any "filling." (Smile)

Good luck!

CB

how can you mock someone for expressing his musicality?

nat, pull him to one side and tell him that his musical skills are awesome but don't fit the songs your working on...don't mock him on an internet forum [rolleyes]

jus sayin :)

I'm not trying to mock him, I'm just looking for advice on how to tell him he's overplaying. I'm trying to tell him in a semi nice way, but I just don't seem to be getting through to him.

I'm not trying to put him down, I just don't know what to do

Tell him that sometimes the little "accents" can throw off the song completely, as I was taught doing that under vocals, or another player's solo can throw them off (especially the singer). His <cough> "accents" aren't necessarily so great.

tell him to stop and if that doesn't work, ask Steve to play but without the VODKA

vodka is my expression pedal [laugh], some of the greatest songs were recorded while high on drink and drugs (i don't take drugs) [biggrin]

vodka is my expression pedal [laugh], some of the greatest songs were recorded while high on drink and drugs (i don't take drugs) [biggrin]

Who's ears exactly were listening to you and did you record? haha Steve, only thing that ever happened when you are drunk is, you take pictures of yourself. It's ok to admit you have a camera problem Steve, really it is lmao

Fred there's a commonality in your posts that I can really relate too Ive been there when I was young too, chances are we all have. So I'll try to answer this question in a serious manner and please don't be offended at all, it's not meant to be negative in any way.

I guess the question that needs to be answered is who's in charge here? He has a totally different opinion of what's needed in the song than you do? no surprise there in fact I have found it pretty darn rare when different musicians all hear a song the same way at the first work up.

So the real question is who's song is it? and who's in the decision making seat? If it's his call than you need to support his vision and try to fill in and support what he's doing, as a guitarist that's your job.

If it's your song and your call then just tell him honestly and without ego or discussion how you want it played and what you heard when you composed the song.

If it's a cover tell then mr twitchy fingers to listen to the damn original and play it like that.

You don't need to kill him but you might not be able to play music with him either. You sound like your always chasing a specific sound and feel that you hear in your head, which is great, you just have to make it clear that if it's your band then that's the sound you want everybody trying for.

If it's not your band than you need to quit trying to always be living your dream and do your job as a guitarist. That's one of the hardest and longest things it takes to learn in the music business and also why good studio musicians get so much respect. It's not always your song or sound that's being recorded, sometimes it's just a job that needs to be done as professionally as you can.

Guess what? the lead guitarist IS supposed to be shredding it up! stop being a jealous rythm guitarist and just be thankful you have a band with great musicians!

Please, oh please, be joking.

Who's ears exactly were listening to you and did you record? haha Steve, only thing that ever happened when you are drunk is, you take pictures of yourself. It's ok to admit you have a camera problem Steve, really it is lmao

i thought this turned out pretty well, considering my tendonitus flared up and i could barely move my fourth finger...labour of love eh? [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE5jvbKpP08

Guess what? the lead guitarist IS supposed to be shredding it up! stop being a jealous rythm guitarist and just be thankful you have a band with great musicians!

What are you talking about? You mean to say that the "lead" player should be playing over everyone else and shitting up the mix?

I'm sure you are going to go far in all of your bands :rolleyes:

Fred there's a commonality in your posts that I can really relate too Ive been there when I was young too, chances are we all have. So I'll try to answer this question in a serious manner and please don't be offended at all, it's not meant to be negative in any way.

I guess the question that needs to be answered is who's in charge here? He has a totally different opinion of what's needed in the song than you do? no surprise there in fact I have found it pretty darn rare when different musicians all hear a song the same way at the first work up.

So the real question is who's song is it? and who's in the decision making seat? If it's his call than you need to support his vision and try to fill in and support what he's doing, as a guitarist that's your job.

If it's your song and your call then just tell him honestly and without ego or discussion how you want it played and what you heard when you composed the song.

If it's a cover tell then mr twitchy fingers to listen to the damn original and play it like that.

You don't need to kill him but you might not be able to play music with him either. You sound like your always chasing a specific sound and feel that you hear in your head, which is great, you just have to make it clear that if it's your band then that's the sound you want everybody trying for.

If it's not your band than you need to quit trying to always be living your dream and do your job as a guitarist. That's one of the hardest and longest things it takes to learn in the music business and also why good studio musicians get so much respect. It's not always your song or sound that's being recorded, sometimes it's just a job that needs to be done as professionally as you can.

Its my song, I wrote very early on. I wrote this sappy acoustic song for this girl I liked 3 years ago, then I wrote this one last summer, so its like my first "actual" song you could say. It is kind of my baby, and I guess I treat it as such.

He is a great friend, and he has a good ear. He write some cool stuff. However, when he isn't doing the chords or the main riff, he just turns it into a solo wank fest, (I'm going to sound like a jagoff here for a second, but I mean well. I tell him this, and he understands so its not like 'Oh wow, you would post this on an internet forum but you won't say it to his face") but for more nuance/lead stuff, he's very new at it, and he isn't experienced enough and he overplays everything because he feels he needs to fill every nook and sonic cranny of the song. I am not experienced enough to know what to tell him to play.

Most of my songs, I feel, should be based around a power trio, with a guitar, bass and drums. Occasionally a keyboard part to fill out the sound. You are right, I have the sounds in my head and I don't know how to let them all out when I'm confined with leaving space for other people. that's why I think some of the best music I made was just with my drummer. We clicked, had a great understanding and the sound was big and full. I know, I know, no bass blah blah blah, but it was good.

This summer, we are going to do some concerts, do some shows, play a Battle of the Band, maybe another one. I'm trying to throw more covers in to it because a lot of my songs just don't work with two guitarists.

So I guess the problem is all mine then... hmmmm interesting

Archived