Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Guitar Cases

Blaster

Can you buy any of the upgraded Gibson Guitar cases separately? I've got a couple of Gibsons that have mongrel cases that I wouldn't mind replacing. I also wonder why sometimes the cases are a bit different, for instance, my 2006 AJ came with a Black Gibson logo'd 6 latch case with a scarlet interior, while my friends SJ from the same year had a Black Gibson logo'd 4 latch case with a blue interior.

Can you buy any of the upgraded Gibson Guitar cases separately?

No.

I also wonder why sometimes the cases are a bit different, for instance, my 2006 AJ came with a Black Gibson logo'd 6 latch case with a scarlet interior, while my friends SJ from the same year had a Black Gibson logo'd 4 latch case with a blue interior.

The six-latch case with an arched back and burgundy interior is an upgraded case, the "standard" upgraded case you get with higher-end guitars.

-- Bob R

Can you buy any of the upgraded Gibson Guitar cases separately?

YES.

TKL Case out of Canada is the OEM case supplier for Gibson. You can buy any case you like from a TKL retailer, it just won't have the Gibson logo printed on it. They make at least three grades of cases to fit most Gibsons (good, better, best).

TKL also has a "custom" case division in the U.S. (Cedar Creek Cases) where you can special order your own custom case as far as interior color, tolex covering, latches, etc. Your only limitation is your budget.

YES.

TKL Case out of Canada is the OEM case supplier for Gibson. You can buy any case you like from a TKL retailer, it just won't have the Gibson logo printed on it. They make at least three grades of cases to fit most Gibsons (good, better, best).

TKL also has a "custom" case division in the U.S. (Cedar Creek Cases) where you can special order your own custom case as far as interior color, tolex covering, latches, etc. Your only limitation is your budget.

Thanks L5Larry...... for the info about TKL. I sort of figured that there was a way to get some of the cases through different channels. I bought a couple of the Dickie Betts Gator cases years ago, and a friend bought one of the replica F-5 Loar cases. actually from a dealer . I don't know whether it was spare stock but the price was around $300.

Thanks L5Larry...... for the info about TKL. I sort of figured that there was a way to get some of the cases through different channels. ...

Oops! Thought you wanted a Gibson-branded case. Sorry for the misinformation.

-- Bob R

Oops! Thought you wanted a Gibson-branded case. Sorry for the misinformation.

-- Bob R

Based on the OP's question about Gibson Guitar cases, I thought the same thing.

I think the strict answer might be 'no' too, *but* you might be able to scrounge a leftover on eBay or Craigslist, or, at megastores like Guitar Center or other dealers, where trades are involved or where the buyer elects to change out the OHSC for another for whatever reason.

I have seen Gibson cases for sale at a variety of dealers over the years, but as an 'after-market' item, I don't know that you can get your dealer to order up just a case for whatever model guitar. But who knows? -- maybe you CAN do that -- I've never tried!

Fred

I should have been more specific, while a Gibson "branded" case would be desirable, it's not an absolute, as long as the case models are the same. It would be a help to know that a case for a J-45 or an SJ is models # xxx in the TKL product line, in other words the same identical case minus the Gibson stamped name.

• 2 years later...

I have no answer, but I'd like to add a question: can a latch be repaired on a case? I just bought a used guitar and it came with an ohsc but had one latch broken. Any suggestions?

I've always been told the answer to that question is to take the case to a luggage repair shop. I sure don't have any of those kind of shops where I live.... [rolleyes]

I've always been told the answer to that question is to take the case to a luggage repair shop. I sure don't have any of those kind of shops where I live.... [rolleyes]

A shoe repair shop has the same tools, equipment and capabilities, but..... they're also getting harder and harder to find. The key is the rivet tool. Someone who does leather work (such as biker gear, belts, purses), will also have the right tools.

But just the standard cases, not the upgrades.

-- Bob R

I bought a spare Gibson-branded J-45 case from MF last year. It was back-ordered repeatedly for about six months, but I refused to cancel the order, and it eventually came through. Lots of 40's and 50's Gibsons came only with chipboard cases, and I wanted a spare for the late 40's-early 50's SJ I hope to find someday.

I have no answer, but I'd like to add a question: can a latch be repaired on a case? I just bought a used guitar and it came with an ohsc but had one latch broken. Any suggestions?

Maybe a little more help for bamapsych in Mobile, AL.

If you need parts, there readily available on e-bay. To find a leatherworker who would have the correct riveting tools for installation, ask your local Harley Dealer for a recommendation.

Mobile Bay Harley-Davidson

3260 Pleasant Valley Rd.

Mobile, AL 36606

251-471-2174

Archived