Gibson Brands Forums

2011 SG Standard

SG_DUDE

Hi all,

First post on here. I recently purchased a 2011 SG Standard in cherry finish. It has a very dark rosewood board, and a 2 piece body. The guitar sounds better then any SG I've played to date. I have a 2007 TV yellow custom shop standard that compares in build quality but not sound. My only complaint is that I have minor string buzz from the 'G' string, even when played open. I'll follow up with pics, and the the possible buzz problem solution. Most likely a factory nut issue. Other then that, this SG HOWLS. Made on January 18th, 2011.

If your doubting the quality on new standards, then make sure its a 2011 before you put down the green. I brought back two 2010 models with issues before getting this little beast.

Keep Rockin,

Tim

Welcome.

Congrats on yer new SG.

Looking forward to seeing some pics. B)

Hi there,

Here is a picture I took with my BB. Camera is out of commission at the moment (some sort of shutter issue). The one showing the scratch was made in Oct 2010, it was of course promptly returned for the 2011 model.

post-32263-060785600 1301871863_thumb.jpg

Great color on your SG.

Pic posting help - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/11005-sticky-how-to-post-photos/

Follow the directions on the link above. The Photobucket.com account is free. Sign up and copy the direct link from the photobucket image to the "insert image" tool on the toolbar of the post editor on the Gibson forum. That will allow a lot more pics as they're hosted off Gibson on another site.

Hi all,

First post on here. I recently purchased a 2011 SG Standard in cherry finish. It has a very dark rosewood board, and a 2 piece body. The guitar sounds better then any SG I've played to date. I have a 2007 TV yellow custom shop standard that compares in build quality but not sound. My only complaint is that I have minor string buzz from the 'G' string, even when played open. I'll follow up with pics, and the the possible buzz problem solution. Most likely a factory nut issue. Other then that, this SG HOWLS. Made on January 18th, 2011.

If your doubting the quality on new standards, then make sure its a 2011 before you put down the green. I brought back two 2010 models with issues before getting this little beast.

Keep Rockin,

Tim

Tim, Hi! Welcome to the Gibson Forum. I too am a proud owner of a new 2011 SG Standard Heritage Cherry. Can't get any newer I guess that when I got it on

March 28th, the sales person had just unpacked it and showed me the Quality Check list was dated March 21, 2011. The red color on the finish is very lustrous.

Nice grain in the wood and like yours has a dark, rosewood fretboard. I love that. It plays well and sounds really nice. I had previously looked at a 2009

SG Standard and the quality, etc. cannot compare to the 2011 that I got. The pickup sound on the SG Standard (490R/498T) is much different the the '57 Classics

I have in my CS-336, but I like that the sound is different. Why bother having two electric guitars that sound alike. I really like the sound of the 490R pickup.

You can get some nice darker sound hues with it, but it doesn't get muddy. Although the 498T is supposed to have a stronger output due to higher winds on the pickup,

it sounds thin compared to the 490R. The blend of the two pickups is really nice. I just have to play around more with it (live in an duplex house and can

only blow through the amplifier when the other tenant's not home). So far I'm very happy, though.

BTW guys, I don't own a digital camera, so I can't post pictures of my new baby, although I'd love to show her off. My guitar looks just like Tim's.

... I too am a proud owner of a new 2011 SG Standard Heritage Cherry. ... The red color on the finish is very lustrous.

Nice grain in the wood and ... a dark, rosewood fretboard. ... So far I'm very happy, though. BTW guys, I don't own a digital camera, so I can't post pictures of my new baby ...

Too bad about the camera situation.

But congrats on yer new SG. B)

I would agree with you on that one, the 498T was not exactly the best in my SG. I switched to Wolftone pups. I have spent ridiculous amounts on pickups over the years. Wolfetone are simply the best flat out(For SGs). There are a lot of runners ups or close seconds out there. Lollars are very nice, but a tad bit too bright. WCR, and Bare Knuckles some of the best too.

There are a few models you can try out. The Riff Raff from Bare Knuckle was very good indeed for that AC/DC type tone (early 80s). The WCR Godwood was second behind Wolfetone. Why? Because although the pickup sounded amazing in an SG, it was definitely suited more for the Les Paul. This is where things get interesting with Wolfetone. The Marshallhead, and Dr. V are some of the best pickups for Les Pauls. However, for an SG, the Marshallhead (Alnico 2) in the bridge and the Dr. V opposite cover the widest range. The Bridge pickup snarls when turned up, and cools off nicely when the rolled back, for solid Nashville clean tones. The neck pup Dr. V (nice PAF style) gets rid of all that over bearing bass frequency, even when heavy picks are used on acoustic simulator pedals. My greatest personal dislike of any pickup are ratty, overly bright, high pitched, annoying, and unmusical notes. Some would say a compressor is all you need. Wolfetone pickups eliminated all that in your face brightness (thin sound), while at the same time gave my guitar an extremely flexible midrange punch (high or low), with a smooth responsive bottom end that was very controllable with pick attack. To finish it off the top end sounds like a remastered Eric Clapton track.

Archived