Gibson Brands Forums

HELP NEEDED WITH EJ 200/VS

Jose999

I HAVE A EJ 200/VS WHICH IS DEFINATLY A GIBSON BUT WHEN I SEARCH THE SERIAL NUMBER IT COMES UP AS AN EPIPHONE, ON THE GOOSE NECK IT CLEARLY STATES ITS A GIBSON AND THE LABEL INSIDE THE SOUND HOLE IT ISNT A EPIPHONE LABEL BUT A GIBSON LABEL STATING MODEL EJ 200/VS AND SERIAL NUMBER 3 95030086 or 3 95030066 with "quality since 1910" at top of label...PLEASE HELP

I see a couple of issues - the headstock logo inlay, the headstock appears to be stained (not an overly), it has a 3 screw truss rod cover, and seeing the back through the sound hole it looks like plywood - probably not a genuine Gibson.

Maybe someone else will chime in with better news.

Is the serial number stamped into the back of the headstock?

I see a number of things that don't look correct for a Gibson SJ-200 and do look correct for an Epiphone EJ-200.

Did you just purchase the guitar, or are you looking to purchase it? If you haven't bought it i would recommend that you pass.

Here's a pic of an Epiphone EJ-200 from the web to compare yours too, there are a lot of similarities.

As mentioned before Epiphone makes an EJ-200, a Gibson guitar is a SJ-200 and i do not think this is a Gibson.

big%20epi%20ej200DSCN8899.jpg

... "quality since 1910" at top of label...

In addition to all the issues mentioned above, "Quality since 1910" is an Epiphone slogan. The guitar's definitely a modified Epiphone.

-- Bob R

Archived