Gibson Brands Forums

Crumudgeon, Officially now

Rambler

So I channel surfed into the C&W awards in time to see Steve Tyler (Steven Tyler!?!)performing with some young thing tricked out like Christina A passing herself off as a country singer. Generic hard rock without a perfunctory a nod to the Great Twang with predictable lights, smoke bombs and an army of hack sidemen. Oh, yay. The only thing that made it "country" was that it's marketed as "country" and played on "country" radio and aired on a "country" awards show. Hank, Buck and Cash be rolling in their graves. Ralph Stanley wasnt invited.

I know, like, how surprising right? But I do hates it, I surely do.

I know what you mean, Rambler. But the award shows are set up to get maximum viewing audience, and the country music business is just that. There's still lots of good country around. It just isn't recognized in certain venues. Pick up a Wayne Hancock CD. It will make you feel better.

Oh, and the Civil War series is being rerun on PBS. It's better than an awards show.

I get a kick off so many of these decked out C&W performers who give the nod to the Southern Rock bands and especially "Brother Duane Allman"; a lot of them probably use to go around beating up hippies or anyone with long hair back a few decades ago, now they're all so hip. .With the exception of the real musicians like Brad Paisley, Vince Gill and a few others, Country music is a joke these days.

I DVR the Wilburn Brothers Show, Hee Haw, and Pop Goes the Country.

Thanks to the Wilburn Brothers Show I've discovered what an amazing singer Jack Greene is.

Thanks to Hee Haw I've determined that Arlene Harden (who?) has one of the sweetest voices ever put on Earth.

And I offset that with Ralph Emery's PGTC show from the 70s to remind me of everything I hate about country music. The occasional appearance by George Jones being the exception.

• 2 weeks later...

I get a kick off so many of these decked out C&W performers who give the nod to the Southern Rock bands and especially "Brother Duane Allman"; a lot of them probably use to go around beating up hippies or anyone with long hair back a few decades ago, now they're all so hip. .With the exception of the real musicians like Brad Paisley, Vince Gill and a few others, Country music is a joke these days.

I tend to agree here. I find so many country singers sound alike, and so many of those three chord country songs sound the same, kind of like vanilla country. The nasal twang of country seems to have become a parody of itself. Give me Merle and that last album of Johnny Cash, covering great songs.....man, you could cut the emotion of that 9" nail cover "HURT",with a knife! All the pulp country that is being churned out of nashville can't touch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22eIJDtKho

Rumor has it when Trent Reznor (NIN) heard Cash had covered it he was none too happy.

When he heard Johnny's recording of it, Reznor went all slack jaw and said, "He 'gets' it." [crying]

Cash had been hook by some of the stuff at one time, but the love of his life and her family got him off of it. Sadly, he had surgery later in life and was put on pain killers. He got hooked again. And again he had to be dried out. Later, still, in his life he went through surgery again. This time without pain killers. The thought of getting hooked again was worse than enduring the pain.

I was at a dreary country concert a couple of years ago, and the highlight of the day was when the roadcrew played Hank's "Honkytonkin" on the P.A. while they were still setting up the stage!

Nashville for a while now has been about the Doobies, Eagles, and Skynard, yeh. I just didnt figure on the hard rock angle. Other instance of generic everything. Or, as Mike Bloomfield might have said, "it's product. They may as well be selling fruit loops!"

I suppose it's not exactly "country music" (I'm not even sure what that even means any more to be honest), I've been enjoying the music over at www.musicfog.com for some time now. Don't know what you'd call it (there is quite a bit of variety on display), but I like it. Good to know that there are plenty of people out there creating music for the sake of the music rather than strictly commercial sales.

My papa raised me right...

The music of Cash, Jennings, Haggard and Lightfoot was a constant...as was my dad covering them with his Hummingbird and Guild D-55.

Don't forget Kristofferson.....and you may not agree with this one....but Willie Nelson, is just a trip.....NONE of the guys above could be mistaken for anyone else....not so today....

There's plenty of great country songs floating around here in Nashville but every young artist wants to write their own and make more money. Singing and writing are two different crafts. Some can do both really well and most can't. And they wonder why the industry is dying!

I think 'Country' means they have a pedal steel in the band...

Good one! A nod to tradition. Speaking of un-country, is Mr. Keith Urban channeling Kurt Cobain. T-shirt? check. Scruffy beard and mop? check. Grunge gutiar? check. Skip the stetson? Check.

There's plenty of great country songs floating around here in Nashville but every young artist wants to write their own and make more money. Singing and writing are two different crafts. Some can do both really well and most can't. And they wonder why the industry is dying!

I would not say the industry is dying. On the contrary, country music seems to be hotter today (in terms of sales and consuming media time) than ever. There are millions of people out there that love Fruit Loops (to reference an earlier post)!

But I do agree with the general tone of this thread. If I heard a lot of these songs on the radio, and a marketer did not tell me "Hey, this is country music!", well, that sure is not the label I would put on them.

I would not say the industry is dying. On the contrary, country music seems to be hotter today (in terms of sales and consuming media time) than ever. There are millions of people out there that love Fruit Loops (to reference an earlier post)!

But I do agree with the general tone of this thread. If I heard a lot of these songs on the radio, and a marketer did not tell me "Hey, this is country music!", well, that sure is not the label I would put on them.

I should have said country music is dying. George Jones, Merle Haggard, Vern Gosdin...these guys wouldn't get a deal today. It's a reality show beauty contest. At least we have plenty of vampire movies instead of those old mysteries and tear jerkers.

I do stand corrected...the four remaining labels (corporations) are still making money.

Archived