Gibson Brands Forums

weird music facts

Silenced Fred

A piano covers the full spectrum of all orchestra instruments, from below the lowest note of the double bassoon to above the top note of the piccolo.

Themes from movies Unforgiven, A Perfect World, The Bridges of Madison County, and Absolute Power were all written by Clint Eastwood.

The only guy without a beard in ZZTOP surname (last name) is Beard.

The longest song to reach number one on the Billboard charts on LP was "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" by Meatloaf, the shortest: "Stay" by Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jimi Hendrix opened up for The Monkees.

The Beatles 1st US concert was booked for the Bladensburg, MD firehouse. Someone must have done a little research at the time & realized that they might be a bit too big for the venue. It was switched to the Washington Colessium.

Craig

Chuck Norris plays a Firebird X.... with his spleen.

Chuck Norris once picked up a recently dead puppy, rubbed his beard on it, and it came to life like new.

He proceeded to break its neck afterward.

He then said:

"The great Chuck can giveth, and the great chuck can taketh away."

Everly Brothers, Mr President, that was the Everly Brothers ](*,)

Why couldn't he just be honest and say "Yellow Rose of Texas".

You're right.. FirstM. Who would think that Buddy Holly would ever cover such a popular rock song. :rolleyes:[sneaky]

Everly Brothers, Mr President, that was the Everly Brothers ](*,)

Why couldn't he just be honest and say "Yellow Rose of Texas".

Because he's a New England true blue blooded Yalie. He's about as Texan as a Bollywood movie.

Back ot, Abraham Lincoln's favorite song was "Dixie" and he had the band play it at his inaugural ball.

A toilet flushed is F Sharp

As is a dial tone in the U.S.

The tune to "Star Spangled Banner" is from an old drinking song.

The royalty rights to "Happy Birthday To You" is under copyright protection and owned by Time Warner. If you play it in a public venue, beware.

Incidentally, the song was written by two sisters who were elementary school / day care teachers, Patty and Mildred Hill. The tune was "Good Morning To You", they would sing at the beginning of the day. At some point it morphed into a Birthday song, possibly by children modifying the lyrics to celebrate a class mate's birthday. The song was written in the 1800's, but not copy righted until the 1930's. Depending upon who you ask, it is either in the public domain or the owners get paid until about 2030! Since a big corporation like Warner is involved and have all their lawyers on retainer, few dare sing it in public.

This is why you seldom hear it played on TV or in movies. This is also why restaurants who sing birthday songs to their celebrating patrons do not sing this song.

You can still sing it at home without fear of retribution from Time Warner, just as long as you don't record it for sale.

It's been reported that Warner collects $2,000,000 for it's performance, every year. It is not known how much, if any, is paid to the Hill estates.

Using Instrument Classifications systems like Honrbostel and Sachs, The Concert Harp would be in the same class as a Washtub Bass where the plane of the string(s) are perpendicular to the sound board.

Guest FarnsBarns

As is a dial tone in the U.S.

Am I the only person strange enough to have notced that (in the UK at least) a ringing phone is in 5|4 time. I.e. RING RING 3 4 5 RING RING 3 4 5.

The royalty rights to "Happy Birthday To You" is under copyright protection and owned by Time Warner. If you play it in a public venue, beware.

Incidentally, the song was written by two sisters who were elementary school / day care teachers, Patty and Mildred Hill. The tune was "Good Morning To You", they would sing at the beginning of the day. At some point it morphed into a Birthday song, possibly by children modifying the lyrics to celebrate a class mate's birthday. The song was written in the 1800's, but not copy righted until the 1930's. Depending upon who you ask, it is either in the public domain or the owners get paid until about 2030! Since a big corporation like Warner is involved and have all their lawyers on retainer, few dare sing it in public.

This is why you seldom hear it played on TV or in movies. This is also why restaurants who sing birthday songs to their celebrating patrons do not sing this song.

You can still sing it at home without fear of retribution from Time Warner, just as long as you don't record it for sale.

It's been reported that Warner collects $2,000,000 for it's performance, every year. It is not known how much, if any, is paid to the Hill estates.

Only the publishing rights to the words to Happy Birthday belong to Warner Music (Time Warner no longer exists) the tune came from an old hymn and is royalty free.

Furthermore they make nothing like $2,000,000 a year from it. Distributing and calculating income for music owned and published by Warner Music is what my wife does for a living! It's her that sends the cheque to the two little old ladies descendants twice a year!

Beware of Wikipedia, it's full of bull!

Keeping my mouth shut on this forum when it comes to secrets I get from her is difficult enough. This thread even more so ;)

EDIT: when I say Time Warner no longer exists, that may not be entirely correct. Time Warner merged with AOL and became TIME WARNER AOL. The merger was overturned and deemed illegal. at the end of that era Warner Music was sliced off and sold to Edgar Bronfman Jr. It is now up for sale again!

Am I the only person strange enough to have notced that (in the UK at least) a ringing phone is in 5|4 time. I.e. RING RING 3 4 5 RING RING 3 4 5.

Only the publishing rights to the words to Happy Birthday belong to Warner Music (Time Warner no longer exists) the tune came from an old hymn and is royalty free.

Furthermore they make nothing like $2,000,000 a year from it. Distributing and calculating income for music owned and published by Warner Music is what my wife does for a living! It's her that sends the cheque to the two little old ladies twice a year!

Keeping my mouth shut on this forum when it comes to secrets I get from her is difficult enough. This thread even more so ;)

EDIT: when I say Time Warner no longer exists, that may not be entirely correct. Time Warner merged with AOL and became TIME WARNER AOL. The merger was overturned and deemed illegal. at the end of that era Warner Music was sliced off and sold to Edgar Bronfman Jr. It is now up for sale again!

It's so hard to keep up with the corporate world these days. I hope she's not sending the checks to the 'little old ladies', they're dead! I suspect it goes to their estates and therefore their heirs or some charitable group. It would be interesting to know.

Sad, that a Warner gets a check from publishing lyrics no one knows who wrote, over a hundred years ago. If that ain't taking copyright protection too far, I don't know what is.

Guest FarnsBarns

I hope she's not sending the checks to the 'little old ladies', they're dead! I suspect it goes to their estates and therefore their heirs or some charitable group. It would be interesting to know.

You're quite right, that was a typo, I edited while you were posting and inserted the word descendants

Guest FarnsBarns

Sad, that a Warner gets a check from publishing lyrics no one knows who wrote, over a hundred years ago. If that ain't taking copyright protection too far, I don't know what is.

If you think that's odd, Keith Prowse (A ticketng agent for Disney World, among others) owns the rights to House of The Rising Sun after some strange sequence of events involving one of The Animals tours! That song is traditional and it is unknown who wrote it.

I heard Led Zeppelin stole the song "Stairway to Heaven" from a band named Spirit.

Glad they did, because LZ's version made it to the top. Never heard of Spirit.

Yeah, I'm very fimiliar with Spirit. They were a California band and were most famous for a song called "Nature's Way" and my favorite was "Fresh Garbage." Their guitarist was Jay Ferguson who was also in a band called Jo Jo Gunne. Had no idea they did "Stairway to Heaven." Not sure I buy that.

Edit: Ooops, my memory is not that good Jay Ferguson was their percussionist. Randy California was their guitarist.

I heard Led Zeppelin stole the song "Stairway to Heaven" from a band named Spirit.

Along with Never by Moby Grape

I'm Confused by Bert Jansch

Kurt Cobain auditioned to play drums for The Melvinz

None of the Beatles own any of the rights to Beatles Music. At one time Michael Jackson did. I heard, some time before his demise, McCartney had bought some of them back. Does the MJ estate still own any of the Beatles stuff?

If you think that's odd, Keith Prowse (A ticketng agent for Disney World, among others) owns the rights to House of The Rising Sun after some strange sequence of events involving one of The Animals tours! That song is traditional and it is unknown who wrote it.

I'd love to hear that story.

The most oft heard contemporary playing of this song include

"It's been the ruin of many poor boy

By God I know I'm one."

Published lyrics I've found goes:

"It's been the ruin of many poor girl

Oh God! I know I'm one."

I'm told that is the original lyrics.

Changes the complexion of that song considerable.

Guest FarnsBarns

I'd love to hear that story.

The most oft heard contemporary playing of this song include

"It's been the ruin of many poor boy

By God I know I'm one."

Published lyrics I've found goes:

"It's been the ruin of many poor girl

Oh God! I know I'm one."

I'm told that is the original lyrics.

Changes the complexion of that song considerable.

Reminds me of a bet I had with someone years ago about the words to Basket Case (Green day). They're "I went to a whore, HE said my life's a bore". The bet was obviously that the other party thought it was "she said...".

I'm still owed a million for that !

None of the Beatles own any of the rights to Beatles Music. At one time Michael Jackson did. I heard, some time before his demise, McCartney had bought some of them back. Does the MJ estate still own any of the Beatles stuff?

I would think Sony music owns MJs Beatle tunes now but I'm just guessing...

Guest FarnsBarns

I would think Sony music owns MJs Beatle tunes now but I'm just guessing...

MJ's estate owns the Beatles catalogue. As well as a share of Sony ATV.

Reminds me of a bet I had with someone years ago about the words to Basket Case (Green day). They're "I went to a whore, HE said my life's a bore". The bet was obviously that the other party thought it was "she said...".

I'm still owed a million for that !

bahahahahahaha kids...jump back a couple decades and listen to GOOD rock and roll.

Guest FarnsBarns

bahahahahahaha kids...jump back a couple decades and listen to GOOD rock and roll.

I'm 34 and Green Day have been going for MORE than a couple of decades (1987). Just because they are having a revival now! [flapper]

Yeah, I'm very fimiliar with Spirit. They were a California band and were most famous for a song called "Nature's Way" and my favorite was "Fresh Garbage." Their guitarist was Jay Ferguson who was also in a band called Jo Jo Gunne. Had no idea they did "Stairway to Heaven." Not sure I buy that.

Edit: Ooops, my memory is not that good Jay Ferguson was their percussionist. Randy California was their guitarist.

Yes Spirit was some good stuff....the early stuff at least. Taurus is the song from which I think Zep ''borrowed'' the main riff to make Stairway.

Another fact...Spirit opened for Led Zeppelin at one time for quite a few shows.

Archived