Gibson Brands Forums

weird music facts

Silenced Fred

When Elvis was drafted the US lost $500,000.00 in taxes for every year Elvis was in the army..

At age 47, the Rolling Stones' bassist, Bill Wyman, began a relationship with 13-year old Mandy Smith, with her mother's blessing. Six years later, they were married, but the union only lasted seventeen months. Not long after, Bill's 30-year-old son Stephen married Mandy's mother, age 46. That made Stephen a stepfather to his former stepmother, Mandy.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chip Taylor is the stage name of American songwriter James Wesley Voight, brother of actor Jon Voight and uncle of actress Angelina Jolie. Besides writing The Troggs' hit "Wild Thing", he also penned "Angel of the Morning", by both Merrilee Rush and Juice Newton as well as "I Can Make It With You" by The Pozo Seco Singers and many other hit records.

Steely Dan founders Donald Fagen and Walter Becker first got together in a band known as The Bad Rock Group and later as The Leather Canary. Future comedy star Chevy Chase was their drummer.

At age 47, the Rolling Stones' bassist, Bill Wyman, began a relationship with 13-year old Mandy Smith, with her mother's blessing. Six years later, they were married, but the union only lasted seventeen months. Not long after, Bill's 30-year-old son Stephen married Mandy's mother, age 46. That made Stephen a stepfather to his former stepmother, Mandy.

That's just sooooo creepy on sooooo many levels [scared]

Chip Taylor is the stage name of American songwriter James Wesley Voight, brother of actor Jon Voight and uncle of actress Angelina Jolie. He wrote The Troggs' hit "Wild Thing", he also penned "Angel of the Morning", by both Merrilee Rush and Juice Newton as well as "I Can Make It With You" by The Pozo Seco Singers and many other hit records.

Michael Bloomfield's father held a few patients in the restaurant business for the glass sugar dispenser with the metal trap door we see in most all restaurants AND the coffee makers too I think. I will have to check those facts for sure but I though it was pretty cool. Random music facts are always interesting. Might not be directly music related but was in a recent Vintage Guitar magazine article on his "lost" 59 Les Paul.

"I'll blow a hole in your face then go inside and sleep like a baby"

awesome film!

Matt

Great movie.

I had to put a P.A.K. down DURING my viewing of "Gran Torino". His phone rang, then commenced to have a not too private conversation with the caller ABOUT the movie.

"GET OFF THE PHONE!" I said, even less privately. [cursing]

Worked like a charm. [thumbup]

If you think that's odd, Keith Prowse (A ticketng agent for Disney World, among others) owns the rights to House of The Rising Sun after some strange sequence of events involving one of The Animals tours! That song is traditional and it is unknown who wrote it.

Before Keith Prowse got in on the act...

After The Animals had finished recording the track and it was thought they could have a massive hit if it were to be released as a single, Alan Price (their keyboard player) offered, magnanimously, to take the final cut along and to sort out all the red-tape on the band's behalf. When the single was released the other members were furious to discover he had credited it 'Trad : arr. Price' which meant that he, and he alone, would receive all royalties from sales. The Bastard.

Eric Burdon has still, AFAIK, not forgotten nor forgiven.

Also, on the subject of The Animals, I'm surprised no-one has yet mentioned that it was their erstwhile bassist, Chas Chandler, who brought a young American guitarist to the UK and formed a trio, with him 'centre-stage'.The band was called The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

P.

Guest FarnsBarns

After The Animals had finished recording the track and it was thought they could have a massive hit if it were to be released as a single, Alan Price (their keyboard player) offered, magnanimously, to take the final cut along and to sort out all the red-tape on the band's behalf. When the single was released the other members were furious to discover he had credited it 'Trad : arr. Price' which meant that he, and he alone, would receive all royalties from sales. The Bastard.

Eric Burdon has still, AFAIK, not forgotten nor forgiven.

Simon Cowel used to routinely play a single triangle note on recordings of bands he'd signed so as to get a musicians royalty cut.

Arse!

Mike Ness injured his index finger when he was young so he can't bend it at more than a 90 degree album.

This causes him to play a lot of open chords often w/a capo which has become part of Social D's signature sound.

Ironic, eh? [smile]

British singer Kenny Lynch was the first artist to cover a Beatles' song when he recorded "Misery" in early 1963, which failed to chart. Kenny also fancied himself as a songwriter and during a tour with Helen Shapiro, offered to help John and Paul with the writing of "From Me To You". When the song didn't seem to be going anywhere, Kenny walked away, declaring "Well, that's it. I am not going to write any more of that bloody rubbish with those idiots. They don't know music from their backsides."

Kenny Lynch did, however, co-write the Small Faces' number 3 hit record 'Sha-La-La-La-Lee' three years later, however. He sang backing vocals on it too.

Longest song perhaps but as a musical work the John Cale piece "As Slow As Possible" has it beaten by a mere 638 years 362 days...

This from the BBC site:

"The first notes in the longest and slowest piece of music in history, designed to go on for 639 years, are being played on a German church organ on Wednesday. The three notes, which will last for a year-and-a-half, are just the start of the piece, called As Slow As Possible.

Composed by late avant-garde composer John Cage, who died in 1992, the performance has already been going for 17 months - although all that has been heard so far is the sound of the organ's bellows being inflated."

John Cale also composed, memorably, the three movement work entitled 4' 33" during which not even one note is played.

Wacky Guy, Huh?

P

Which means that John Cage played bass in the Velvet Underground!

On which front, VU rhythm guitarist (first couple of albums) and subsequently lead guitarist, Sterling Morrison had a PhD in English Literature and lectured in Austin, Texas until he died.

Not only that, he's now the Chancellor of a University

Dexter Holland of "The Offspring" abandoned a PhD in Molecular Biology to concentrate on music.

Mick Jagger quit the London School of Economics to do music.

At one time, drummers were banned from Ryman Auditorium, long time home of WSM's Grand Old Opry. Not only were drums not allowed in the building, I don't think they would allow a know drummer to enter the building either. [sad]

With the recent death of Pinetop, Honey boy Edwards is the last remaining of the original Mississippi blues men. Honey boy Edwards (now almost 100 years old) claims that Robert Johnson nicked the song "Sweet home Chicago" from him.

When Elvis was drafted the US lost $500,000.00 in taxes for every year Elvis was in the army..

That's just sooooo creepy on sooooo many levels [scared]

Didn't Barry Mandelo date her first and write the song " Mandy " for her ???

Archived