Gibson Brands Forums

Built My First Talk Box!

sdjjadk

Hello All,

I have always wanted a Talk Box, and since I like building things, I have always had the mentality of why buy something when I can build one that works just as good and cheaper than I can buy it! So with that, I found a schematic for the Heil Talk Box and I couldn't believe how simple of a design it was. So I stopped by the music store and got a Peavey High Freq. Compression Driver that they had on clearance for $30.00 marked down from $65.00. I got 2 All Parts 1/4 jacks for $2.99 ea. 1 heavy duty switch for $4.00 at Radio Shack, $5.00 worth of misc. PVC and brass fittings, $4.00 for 10 ft. of Vinyl Tubing, a 15uf 50v Cap that I got free from a friend who repairs arcade machines and a project box that I had laying around. A little bit of wiring and soldering and now I have a talk box for under $50.00 that sounds just as good as a $200.00 Heil!

It's not as nice looking as the Heil but it works great!!

TB2.jpg

TB1JPG.jpg

I'm going to paint the tube spout to match case and I am going make a logo and the input output labels.

I've decided on the name "The Trash Talker"

I will post sound clips as soon as I can.

Shawn

I really admire you guys who do, and can do, these projects....you guys rock !!!!!!!!!!! That is so dang cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words damian. :) I was fortunate enough to grow up around my Uncles who are engineers, mechanics, fabricator / machinists and electronic wiz's. They always fixed everything I broke as a kid UH I mean taught me a lot! ;)

Shawn

Guest FarnsBarns

Very cool idea, but what powers the compression driver? Just the guitar signal?

I think these go between amp and cab.

BTW where do you get these project boxes?

Yes, it is exactly like the Heil, it goes between the amp and cabinet and the switch activates the compression driver or bypasses it and goes through the cabinet.

I got the enclosure at Radio Shack last year for another project.

Here is a link,

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062285

They list for $6.99 and they are fairly sturdy for being plastic. Although, I may fab. a metal enclosure and I am thinking of changing the tube spout to one from Dunlop at a later date.

If any of you guys are interested in building one, let me know and I can either build you one or I can send you a schematic.

Shawn

Very cool on the project and I look forward to sound clips.

There are few places to get boxes. Although I've never seen or used a plastic one - only metal.

Pedal Parts Plus

Small Bear Electronics

Even Mouser has some boxes.

I've been buying from Pedal Parts Plus because they offer pre-drilled and painted boxes - I hate painting.

Thanks for the links. :)

Pedal Parts Plus has some great project boxes at cheap prices!! If I ever build another Talk Box, I'm going to order from them for sure!! I used the Plastic one because I already had it and I was trying to keep my budget under $50.00. [thumbup]

Shawn

Oh the one thing I forgot to mention,

If you guys build one of these, If you have a hard time finding a 15uf 50v N.P. Capacitor try Dunlop, and see if they will sell you one. If not, you should be able to use a 10uf 50v N.P. Capacitor. All your doing with the Capacitor is filtering out the lower frequencies that the Compression Driver can't handle. And if you have an EQ on your amp you can roll back the low end. Also, ElectroHarmonix makes a stomp box size amp called the 22 Caliber that you can use to power the talk box and then just use an A-B switch between the 22 Caliber / talk box and your main amp.

Here's a link for the 22 Caliber,

http://www.ehx.com/products/22-caliber

Shawn

The old style ones did require this...And I guess the Heil ones still do....

I use a Banshee 2 Talk Box which does not require the complications of this setup....

It can even power a cabinet directly, although I haven't done this yet......................

The old style ones did require this...And I guess the Heil ones still do....

I use a Banshee 2 Talk Box which does not require the complications of this setup....

It can even power a cabinet directly, although I haven't done this yet......................

Those Banshee 2's are cool but they are a bit on the expensive side for me. $250.00 I think.

So for what I paid to build mine, I don't mind the extra rigging work. :)

Those Banshee 2's are cool but they are a bit on the expensive side for me. $250.00 I think.

So for what I paid to build mine, I don't mind the extra rigging work. :)

I agree, overpriced....I'm not that good at mechanical things....

I PM..ed you.........................

Guest FarnsBarns

I don't see why that's complicated anyway.

Guitar-cable-head-cable-box-cable-cab

or

Guitar-cable-box-cable-head-cable-cab

You get the tone imparted by your head in the first example too, gotta be better, no?

I don't see why that's complicated anyway.

Guitar-cable-head-cable-box-cable-cab

or

Guitar-cable-box-cable-head-cable-cab

You get the tone imparted by your head in the first example too, gotta be better, no?

Nothing complicated about it at all. The only issue that could come up is if your using super long cables from the head to the talk box to the cabinet as the Ohm's could change and cause things to run a little hotter temp wise. But that would be using extremely long cables.

Guest FarnsBarns

I'm trying to upload a sound clip of my talk box but it wont work.

Can someone tell me how to upload an MP3?

create an account on soundclick.com or soundcloud.com and upload it there then link to it.

Or you could make a video with nothing but a picture and use the mp3 as a sound track, then up load it to youtube.

create an account on soundclick.com or soundcloud.com and upload it there then link to it.

Or you could make a video with nothing but a picture and use the mp3 as a sound track, then up load it to youtube.

Thanks. [thumbup]

Here is a short audio clip of me using my Homemade Talk Box during setup and sound check Thursday afternoon for that nights Open Mic that I help host. I used the stereo option on my GNX4 to play through the Talk Box / Amp combo and the Co-Host's amp at the same time. The words I'm saying are not very clear as I still need more practice mouthing words with the Talk Box.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1163829

Hope you guys like it. :)

Shawn

Guest FarnsBarns

Here is a short audio clip of me using my Homemade Talk Box during setup and sound check Thursday afternoon for that nights Open Mic that I help host. I used the stereo option on my GNX4 to play through the Talk Box / Amp combo and the Co-Host's amp at the same time. The words I'm saying are not very clear as I still need more practice mouthing words with the Talk Box.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1163829

Hope you guys like it. :)

Shawn

I have got to get me one of these!

I have got to get me one of these!

I'm going to start building them in the next week or so if anyone wants one. I am going to offer them Built or Kit Form for the D.I.Y.'ers.

PM me for pricing and ordering.

Shawn

Archived