Gibson Brands Forums

serial number help

iwalktheline

was just wondering if anybody could help with the serial number on the gibson dove i just bought. was told at first that it was 00180427 but as it turns out its actually 00160427. the serial number thing is very strange to me and im new to gibson. any help would be great.

was just wondering if anybody could help with the serial number on the gibson dove i just bought. was told at first that it was 00180427 but as it turns out its actually 00160427. the serial number thing is very strange to me and im new to gibson. any help would be great.

First and fifth digits (00) are the year, second through fourth digits (018 or 016) are the day, and the last three digits (427) are the number of the instrument on the day. The 427 is suspicious, as the first digit on guitars built in Bozeman is always 0: they've never build 100 guitars in a day. I would recommend that you verify this serial number with Gibson Customer Service.

-- Bob R

i just noticed in another thread you said you bought a 1976 dove. your serial number COULD fit for that time period..... the year of the guitar is something you should have noted in this thread. can we get a picture of the serial number? and other pictures of the guitar?

That close-up of the serial looks a bit weird. The first two digits are perfectly clear, the others seem to be vague and messed with.

I'm not saying i'm an expert, but I would have had a good nights sleep over this one.

Im waiting for gibson to get back to me about it. I sent them the same link here to verify it. I talked to someone on the phone and he said of what i told him about it that it sounded legit. He just wanted to see some pictures first to be really sure. God I hope i didnt get screwed!!

Help me through with this. My second to fourth reads 294. Is that the 29th of the 4th month IE April?

"294" means the 294th day of the year, so 21 October (or 20 October if a leap year).

-- Bob R

Archived