Gibson Brands Forums

New guitar - has a "HUM"

Skeet123

I'm new to the forum and am looking for some technical advice, people's experience, tests, and fixes . I just bought a new Gibson Les Paul 08 Standard guitar - 2 days ago. I plugged the guitar into a new Fender Blues Jr NOS amp, and have a HUM. I can touch the strings and the HUM goes away, I can touch the input plug on the cable at the guitar and the HUM goes away. I disconnected the cable from the guitar and the HUM is still there, I disconnect the cable from the amp, and the HUM goes away. Anyone have experience with EMI or RF, cable issues, manufactures, ect ? Note that I am using Mogami Gold cables. S

It could be a number of things but all that can be fixed relatively easily.

First off unplugging your guitar with the cable still in the amp will give you a hum and it doesn't matter what cable or the price paid they are all just conductors wilth insulation

try these steps to eliminate

1. Move amplifier to a different location

2. Try a different cable

3. Try a different guitar

if it keeps happening with all 3 then your amp is culprit the gain could be too high or the amp could be faulty

if you find the problem goes away when you use a different guitar (or keeps happening when you plug your guitar into a different amp) then your guitar has an earthing issue and needs to be corrected. It is not uncommon that a new les paul has electrical issues unfortunately. Good thing is that get in touch with the guitar shop you got it from or Gibson directly and they normally tell you to take it to a Gibson authorised repairman at their expense.

if it goes away using a different cable then you have come to learn what I have.........expensive cables dont live up to their reputation and the high profit margin doesn't mean your getting a cable made by the gods

Hey I`m new here as well. I also own a 2008 Les Paul Standard and I too have a hum with any high gain amp. I contacted Gibson directly asking them for a quick opinion. I explained mine quiets down when I ground the pickups with my hand. Gibson Repair said it is most likely a loose grounding wire or earthing issue like Angellus suggested. I'm taking it in Tuesday to have it checked.

Angelles is spot on. However, everything you decribe sounds like things are working the way they are supposed to. The hum is SUPPOSED to go away when you touch the strings, just as it goes away when you touch the cable plug when it is plugged into the guitar. It means the bridge is properly grounded.

Also, a cable plugged into an amp is supposed to hum, and actually, so is the guitar. So, the hum you hear and are describing is an indication things are working properly.

I had the same problem with a Studio 60's Mahogany, with 498/490 pups. (post submitted on forum and last updated 06 April at 01:41 a.m). Sent it back to the shop, they tested all electrical outputs/signals with a meter and double checked all solder joints/earth points on the guitar. It passed with flying colours, but still 'hums' as yours does. It is something that i will learn to accept, even though this is the only guitar in my collection where the noise is this noticeable.

Angellus... good response, you covered it all... I would have to add however that I have had this problem about 10 times in my lifetime with about 10 different guitars.... every time its a ground issue usually due to someone (sometimes myself) not correctly re-grounding the entire curcuit after messing with stuff under the hood... Someone (maybe yourself) is going to have to search for this ground problem...

I would go ahead and do what Angellus said to do ... but I will put my money on a ground issue within the guitar...

Any hum that is louder then your normal amp hum is not normal... Unless you have single coil pups... sorry I have to disagree with some of the posters in this thread..

Angellus... good response, you covered it all... I would have to add however that I have had this problem about 10 times in my lifetime with about 10 different guitars.... every time its a ground issue usually due to someone (sometimes myself) not correctly re-grounding the entire curcuit after messing with stuff under the hood... Someone (maybe yourself) is going to have to search for this ground problem...

I would go ahead and do what Angellus said to do ... but I will put my money on a ground issue within the guitar...

Any hum that is louder then your normal amp hum is not normal... Unless you have single coil pups... sorry I have to disagree with some of the posters in this thread..

My experience with Humbuckers makes me agree with Cajunblues... Is'nt the first good reason to create an humbucker was the silence of use...

• 2 weeks later...

Just sounds like a high gain channel on the amp and un-muted strings to me. When I turn the gain on my Amp to 10 and plug in my Explorer I get a little hum from the natural vibrations in the strings getting picked up by the amp, if you can lightly hold a finger over the strings and everything goes quiet its just improperly muted strings, pretty common on high gain settings.

Archived