Gibson Brands Forums

Guitars made on a Sunday?

PickitPaul

Does anyone know if Gibson makes guitars on Sunday? I have a serial number that falls on a Sunday for the year mine was made (2003)

AFAIK, there have never been any guitars made on Sunday. But serial numbers saying that a guitar's neck was stamped on Sunday are not uncommon. Hey, it's Gibson!

-- Bob R

I've asked Gibson about this in the past after I found out that one of mine was made on a holiday. I was told that there can be a number of reasons for stamping them with the wrong day. Most of the time it's something as simple as just putting the wrong day stamp on it.

Ha ha hehe. . .

Btw. aren't they (Gibson Gospel) pretty good and underrated guitars ?

I've got one (the reissue model) and it sounds great. Have received many compliments on its sound at open mic nights (and it's certainly not due to my playing!). It has a K&K Pure Western running into a K&K Pure preamp.

I owned a Gibson 1997 L-5CTN, a beautiful aged Blonde acoustic archtop with a floating BJB pickup. This particular jazz guitar had a very unique label. Now I don't know whether it was constructed on a particular day of the week; whoever was responsible for signing the label signed 'George Gobble' as the model name, clear as day. Obviously it was a "George Gobel" model, a modern day reproduction of a famous guitar model made for the TV personality, George Gobel. He could be seen on television just about every week thru the late '50s and early '60s. Supposedly George was a small man height-wise, and the popular Super 400 looked like the Goodyear Dirigible next to him, so he opted for the 17" size instruments.

I sort of found it ironic that someone went thru a lot of effort and dedication to build such a beautiful instrument, and it ended up being an outstanding guitar, yet this curious label was slapped on it making it somewhat of an oddity. In any event, this instrument now resides near a nice lake in Switzerland.

normal_932_p56258.jpg

Archived