Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson letting go of Epiphone

Les Paul Fanatic

I think it would be a mistake. Gibson has done a very nice job with Epiphone in so far that they produce a very nice guitar at a price everyone can afford. I'm in no way comparing an Epiphone to a Gibson' date=' but for what they are, you're hard pressed to find a better guitar for the money.

[/quote']

+1

Is this news or just a what if ?

It's a little bit of both because I was talking to a guy at the local Sam Ash, and he was sayin' something about Epiphone going up in quality, and that if they kept going that way, then they should branch off and become their own little shenanigan. So it's more rumor and guesswork but hey who knows?

So now we are listening to Sam Ash reps?

How about I tell you Fender just bought ford and so now all les pauls are gonna come with PEPSI on their headstock?

Rumor is if many people are saying something that makes sense, based on something... but ONE STUPID SAM ASH REP giving you HIS stupid oppinion, based on nothing but his stuppidness, is nothing more than that: his stupid oppiion.

Just like when some pothead starts to tell you how Lennon and Mercury should be put togheter in the same band... with Kurt Cobain in the guitar and Jimmy in the drumms... oh and the other Jimmy in the bass guitar... "that would be MY dream band man... an all star band... ohhh... yeahhh... that would be nice" ... Doesnt mean 4 of them are comming back from death to for a band where one of the greatest guitar players is gonna play drumms.

Actually I would like Cobain to come back... I would kick his *** into hell again.

it wasn't a sales rep, it was another customer, and I don't too much believe, him because an Epiphone is still an Epiphone no matter what kind of pickups, bridge, none of that $hit. You could take a Zakk Wylde Epiphone model, put actual EMG's in it, and drop a Tone Pros locking bridge, along with a gibson neck and it would still be an Epiphone even though it bears the Gibson name just cause it's a piece of $hit.

and here here on kickin Cobains *** back down to hell.

I think the epiphone line makes great deals for someone getting their first starter guitar.For the price they are not really bad.They get the job done.They can be upgraded to to get little more from them by swapping the pickups,electronics.I think alot of people,especially the younger players with not alot of money,purchase epiphones.I also believe they often become a stepping ston and many epi players end up seeking gibsons at some point when they can afford one.

I think it makes alot of sense for them to keep epiphones.I'm sure they sell alot of them.

I like my Gibsons,and always wanted a 335,but right now can't swing the $,so I got an epi dot.I replaced the pickups with gfs vintage 59's for about $75 and it greatly improved its sound.Its still not a Gibson,but its not a total piece of crap either ,or I would not have bought it.I still have the desire to someday get the Gibson,but like I say,I went the epi route for now with it and I'm sure many others go the same way.

I think if they could improve their pickups on the epis ,they probably would be more popular.

I think guitars in general,all makes and models have improved and come a long way from years ago(sorry stubborn old timers).There is alot of competition out there from many different companies making some ok stuff.

Its important for Gibson to realize this and to continually strive to find ways to produce their guitars at competative pricing to survive as a company.

they can't just "branch off" they are OWNED by Gibson. they are part of the company. who is "they"? the guys building them? they could all quit there jobs with that idea in mind, but they would lose all of their materials, factory, supplies, and money. that's just not how it works.

they can't just "branch off" they are OWNED by Gibson. they are part of the company. who is "they"? the guys building them? they could all quit there jobs with that idea in mind' date=' but they would lose all of their materials, factory, supplies, and money. that's just not how it works.[/quote']

+1

Epiphone is a captive brand owned by Gibson. Asian factories are contracted with to build guitars and basses to Gibson's designs.

This is part of a marketing strategy that goes back many years with Gibson (and other manufacturers). They maintain Gibson as a premium brand, and sell lower-priced clones so that their distinctive models can be found at lower price points, so that an up and coming youngster can afford an Epiphone Les Paul, say, and later will be drawn to purchase of Gibson Les Paul.

It works for Gibson, Fender and G&L, just to name three. The USA-made instruments keep a higher value, and someone without the bucks can get a playable facsimile.

Most of the value of Epiphone is its name, which has been associated with Gibson since 1958; the Epiphone company dates back to the 19th Century, and I doubt that Gibson is going to throw that away (to quote Hartley Peavey, in the music business, companies come and go, but names live on forever).

Epiphone allows Gibson to cover a wider area of the market, without a lot of capital investment, and it is counterintuitive to take a company that makes a big profit for Gibson and spin it off. Ultimately, after all, Gibson would find themselves in the position of not being able to compete with Squier at the lower end, so they would have to redevelop another brand to take the place of Epiphone.

I own both a Gibson Les Paul and an Epiphone Sheraton II, and both are fine instruments in their appropriate milieu.

They could release much more basic Gibson guitars. But that would weaken the brand. Epiphone allows them to churn out the cheaper models without tainting the Gibson brand.

My guess is that they make more money from Epi than they do Gibson.

One thing I don't understand about Gibson is why they don't leverage the Gibson brand more (T-shirts, etc.). They could make a killing.

I think it would be a mistake. Gibson has done a very nice job with Epiphone in so far that they produce a very nice guitar at a price everyone can afford. I'm in no way comparing an Epiphone to a Gibson' date=' but for what they are, you're hard pressed to find a better guitar for the money.

[/quote']

+1,+2,+3,+4 and +76786976.you're totally right=p~

I think if they could improve their pickups on the epis ' date='they probably would be more popular.

[/quote']

I think that's one of the main points of the Epi Elitist line. quality isn't still quite as nice as Gibson, but they're definitely as close as you get... i would probably take a stock LP elitist over a lower-end Gibson like a VM mahogany or a BFG, just because they're a better deal.

One thing I don't understand about Gibson is why they don't leverage the Gibson brand more (T-shirts' date=' etc.). They could make a killing.[/quote']

i just bought a gibson shirt at kohls department store the other day it says Gibson guitar logo and has a little flying V on it

and to put my 2 cents in; i think they should make the epi headstock the open book design, the one now is Fugly

Archived