Gibson Brands Forums

Fitment question with the dirty fingers pickup

brokenfixed

Whats up, great site.

Anyway I just bought a 2010 SG faded on ebay with the dirty fingers pickup installed.

Not really familiar with SG's and I'm wondering if it was installed correctly because the pickup sticks out halfway so you can see the tape peaking out. I thought it was odd that the neck pickup is recessed in, but the bridge sticks out.

Or is this normal and the reason why they make trim rings?...Again, first SG Ive owned and never really paid attention before.

If so would this be the one to use?

http://store.gibson.com/Products/Hardware/Mounting/Pickup-Mounting-Bridge-Black.aspx

Now my pickguard doesnt have 4 screw holes to mount that trim ring, so I'm assuming I'll have to predrill holes new ones?

If so do those screws just screw into the pickguard or do they go down into the wood?

That's the way the they are, the current lineup of SG's all have the full pickguard without the pickup mouting rings. The ring can be seen on the SG 61 reissue. If you are going to mount the ring on top of the pick guard, you'll have to drill the holes your self, you may also might want to do something with the adjustment hole in the original pickguard too. Even with the rings you may still have some of the pickup peeking out. It's ok to leave as is, or maybe get some chrome coves for the pickups.

ya know I never even noticed that little trim piece until it wasnt there.

Thanks for the info, I just wanted to make sure the dirty fingers pickup was installed correctly.

So the 4 screws holding the trim will screw into the pickguard and not the wood, correct?

they may hit wood after they go thru the pickguard, it depends on the route and how the line up. You could route the pickup hole in the pickguard to fit it to the wood. Checkout gibsons site and look for the Custom Angus Young SG they did what you want to do to it http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-Custom/Angus-Young-SG-Standard.aspx

SGAYVACCH1-Features-Pickguard-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&

awesome, thanks for the response. Yeah I ended up opening it up this past weekend and installed the trim piece.

To anyone else reading this...

On a 2010 faded SG special, 2 of the mounting screws hit wood. Theyre the 2 closest to the bottom E string.

I just made sure I pre-drilled the 2 holes with a small bit to decrease the chance of splitting the wood in any way.

I had a trim piece for the neck pickup but it wouldnt fit right because of the pickguard.

Angus Young, among others, did the same mod likely for the same reason you mentioned, but used a neck pickup ring on the bridge position to compensate for the pickguard thickness. not a huge difference, just a new millimeters, and a slightly flatter, cleaner look.

Archived