Gibson Brands Forums

On that quest for the tone that sets you apart from the pack...

icantbuyafender

I have an aggressive classic rock meets zzTop/acdc tone in my head.

While neither 3 components is original, all three Im hoping meet my expectations together.

Has anyone used an invader and compared it to a Duncan Performer/Designed Detonator?

I love the detonator for its GOOD split sound and tight bottom. The highs leap out like a dragonforce solo.

I want a pickup that i can go from crunch (scooped PAF type) to saturated distortion without projecting enough buzz/feedback to wake the dead.

Its not that i use alot of br00tal gain, or play metal... i just like an aggressive sound. A dimed DS-1 w/ SD-1 boost is the max gain for me.

In a situation without enough setup time i use a BOSS ST-2, BOSS '65 deluxe reverb, and a TU-2...

The guitars to consider are a Les Paul studio and a SG special. Ive had 59's in the LP, and i just want tighter bottom end.

I was thinking the invaders in the SG and Alt 8's in the LP.

Anyone have any experience with this combination? or have recommendations? I wanna try something new since im not getting the sound i want from anything else than (believe it or not) a '07 stock melody maker. Problem with her, is she is NOISY to begin with.... but i can get heavy AND get surfy AND telecasterish. The noise is the issue. :-/

For that MM, does anyone know of a SD pup that captures that sound without all the noise/artifacts in the background? Its extremely hot and Id like to retain that quality but be able to sing over it.

Frustration!

I have an aggressive classic rock meets zzTop/acdc tone in my head.

While neither 3 components is original, all three Im hoping meet my expectations together.

Has anyone used an invader and compared it to a Duncan Performer/Designed Detonator?

I love the detonator for its GOOD split sound and tight bottom. The highs leap out like a dragonforce solo.

I want a pickup that i can go from crunch (scooped PAF type) to saturated distortion without projecting enough buzz/feedback to wake the dead.

Its not that i use alot of br00tal gain, or play metal... i just like an aggressive sound. A dimed DS-1 w/ SD-1 boost is the max gain for me.

In a situation without enough setup time i use a BOSS ST-2, BOSS '65 deluxe reverb, and a TU-2...

The guitars to consider are a Les Paul studio and a SG special. Ive had 59's in the LP, and i just want tighter bottom end.

I was thinking the invaders in the SG and Alt 8's in the LP.

Anyone have any experience with this combination? or have recommendations? I wanna try something new since im not getting the sound i want from anything else than (believe it or not) a '07 stock melody maker. Problem with her, is she is NOISY to begin with.... but i can get heavy AND get surfy AND telecasterish. The noise is the issue. :-/

For that MM, does anyone know of a SD pup that captures that sound without all the noise/artifacts in the background? Its extremely hot and Id like to retain that quality but be able to sing over it.

Frustration!

I get ALL tones and styles from Gibson 57s and 57+ pickups.......ALL tones except single coil sounds.....

Look into Lollar pickups, and other underwound pickups for your MM.............

Archived