Gibson Brands Forums

Best time of day to sing?

Gilliangirl

I've been reading online that the best time of day to sing is in the morning. I can't agree with this as I have hardly any voice in the morning..... it's really weak and wispy. My voice isn't strong to begin with, but first thing in the morning seems worse.

I don't know about one time of day being better than another for singing. I do know it's good practice to warmup the cords good before singing anytime. I attended a broadcasting school many, many years ago for a short while and was taught voice exercises and warmup techniques. The muscles that control the vocal cords are just like any others in the body - they should be eased into it before expecting the best from them.

Guess things are slightly rusty after a good nights sleep, but why not give Morning Has Broken a cracked shot – it can have some effect. Did you ever experiment under the shower. The vocal cords sometimes seem to like all that moist. I personally reach deeper notes there – a shame nobody hears it (or maybe not). Apart from that, I'd say after midnight – or at least post sundown or something. And don't eat too much. Remember one show where we had free spareribs a couple of hours before. My instrument couldn't move at all, it was like carrying an inner stone. After that I carefully chose soup before concerts.

Talking 'bout early singing and early years, I once delivered a vocal which simply got too polite and well behaved. Being in the midst of my rock'n'roll heyday, I did a fair amount of all night barflying, and some days later decided to go to the studio direct from painting the town and relay the vox track. A bit hazardous at 10 A.M., but why not take the chance. . . I sat there on a stool singing without being too sure about anything as the producer patiently awaited the scenery. Suddenly through the window of the control booth a sixpence bearing guy stood smiling, giving me thumbs up – Is was Roger Glover, he he.

We took it as a good sign and kept the performance -

after a long warm up (for me any way)..no need for too much detail but I have studied voice for many, many years and performed for over 20 professionally. Any person that would say the morning is the best time to sing (and sound best) either must have a genetic gift for very flexable vocal chords and no problems with any type of allergy, sinus, yada yada yada)..........or be insane [confused].

I've been reading online that the best time of day to sing is in the morning. I can't agree with this as I have hardly any voice in the morning..... it's really weak and wispy. My voice isn't strong to begin with, but first thing in the morning seems worse.

Was just taking personal notes on this very topic--interesting.

I have good luck in the morning--sometimes for up to 10 minutes! I guess it takes that long to loosen up all the wrong things. [scared]

And I have found that when I pick up my guitar just before beddy-bye time (don't know why I still do this to myself), I often have more control and mellowness with my croaking-er, singing.

But yes, warming up is pretty important, no matter the time of day. And lacking any kind of singer's voice anyway, I am seeing overall improvement, just by singing alot--as loudly and as often as I can. (My dog is pretty good natured about it, which helps!)

I'm with Wiley on this one! Morning is good for me, too. Granted, you have to warm up a bit. But in the morning, I can "hear" better. It just seems that everything is clearer. If you can hear better, you can stay on pitch better. I guess that's why people say you can sing better in the morning. Just my $.02!

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thank you everyone for the replies and laughs!

And I have found that when I pick up my guitar just before beddy-bye time (don't know why I still do this to myself), I often have more control and mellowness with my croaking-er, singing.
Ooooh, that's dangerous, isn't it? I do the same thing. I'm reminded of this poster I saw at the Gibson Bozeman plant.... it said "Three minutes equals three hours". If you play guitar, you get that one [biggrin]

Searcy, be careful with that nasal spray..... nasal sprays cause rebound effects so you'll have a worse stuffy nose later on. You're better off getting one of those Rx ones which do not have rebound effects (Nasonex, Flonase, fluticazone, etc)

I'm not singing too well at all at the moment; down with pneumonia :(

My voice sounds equally bad morning, noon and night....

Seriously, though, I discovered that my vocals (such as they are) sound better if I go without drinking anything, which I'm guessing flies in the face of everything a vocal coach would advise. I had finished recording most of the vocals for my album but during Ramadan -- when I was fasting and not drinking any water -- I played a gig and my wife remarked that my vocals seemed to have more "grit" and sounded less affected. With that in mind, I went back and re-recorded all the vocals during Ramadan. Everyone thought the vocals sounded better, again with the qualifier, "such as they are."

I'm not singing too well at all at the moment; down with pneumonia :(

Awww.... sorry to hear that. :o But you realize, don't you, that one day after you're feeling better, you'll have some really good singing days? Something to look forward to anyway.

I sing best when I'm drunk ;-)

Danner.......is that when you THINK you sound best???? What does your audience say??? It's like the girls all get prettier after a few beers....I always thought I could sing better with a couple of beers under my belt....it may be subjective....lol

I'm eagerly awaitin' those days! [biggrin]

The patient : Doctor, will I be able to sing after my tonsils are removed ?

The doctor : Yes, yes, you just take it easy, it'll be no problem.

The patient : Thank you so much Doc. - I never could before. . .

(Pardon - just had to recycle this old cracker)

If morning truly is the best time for singing, then a lot of my questions have been answered. I've always wondered why I sound like crap when I sing and it's obviously because all my gigs are in the evening...... [cursing] ..Actually, I think the singing can work at most any time, providing one puts the effort into it. I'm used to performing in the evenings, sometimes after being awake since 6am or so. I can imagine that one has a stronger voice around 9am or so and that it gradually weakens as the day goes on. I probably do have to put more effort into it later in the day....Good question. I don't think I'd considered it before.

I think they said one of the reasons for the morning was that your vocal chords have rested all night and are not tight, therefore you should be able to reach a lower range. There have been a few times I've been lying in bed in the a.m. listening to the alarm clock radio, and wailing away to Miranda Lambert's White Liar, and nailed some of the notes. Later in the day I can't do it. Or maybe it has to do with lying down? Of course, singing while lying down is not really an option [biggrin]

A lot off this is mental, so an alternate way of looking at it might be: sing when you are relaxed and not thinking too much/all tired out/full of worriment/distracted. That's an argument for morning (after yer cupa Tay). Or early evening. Or after the kids are in abed. Gary Davis himself said to practice guitar in the morning and early evening). Might work for singing, too. And I recall Astral Weeks was recorded early in the pm. Same deal.

Archived