Gibson Brands Forums

The Perfect Set Up

The G

What's the longest you have owned a new acoustic before you have had to get it set up for the first time?

Sometime factory set ups are just perfect for your taste, sometimes not so much.

Obviously there are many variables in play here ,but was curious if anyone has not altered their instruments

since they brought it home from the store.

I played my J45 for a year and have just this past week had it "set up" at a shop with a very good reputation.It was (imo) very good from the factory and Fullers upon arrival. The pick-up end jack started to "get loose' so I took it in for that and thought as long as it in the shop an adjustment was due.

It now is even better then what I had thought was good. Attention to detail is key. They smoothed out the fret edges and got the action where it needed to be for my style ( which they asked about) . It was so good I have taken all my guitars in for a set up. So far so good.

I own several that I liked in the store, brought home and many years later have never touched. I have others that have had new components installed (nuts/saddles/frets) or been carefully tweaked (truss rod/tuned braces) to get them where they really excel. My luthier has turned some near-dogs into real champions. Rarely, do I need to go back once I find the right set up. I guess that's the virtue of maintaining humidity year round.

What's the longest you have owned a new acoustic before you have had to get it set up for the first time?

Sometime factory set ups are just perfect for your taste, sometimes not so much.

Obviously there are many variables in play here ,but was curious if anyone has not altered their instruments

since they brought it home from the store.

I bought my J100xtra used in 2001, but it was less than a year old. (They said it was purchased as a gift for a teenager and it was quickly exchanged it for an electric.) It was already set-up perfectly for me (medium strings, low action), and I can't say if it shipped that way or not.

Last spring, I took it to a local dealer for diagnosis of an intermittent buzzing on the D string. The Gibson rep was actually in the store at the time. Of course, none of us could replicate the buzzing, which I now think was related to the daily humidity changes happening at the time.

Since I had it there, I also asked if anyone saw a need to tweak the set-up. The rep, the owner, and the on-site tech--all of whom had strummed and tapped, etc. in search of a cause for the phantom buzz--played it again and all said "Man, I wouldn't touch anything-she sounds perfect to me." Which is what I thought.

So I never fixed what was never broke--and it's been 10 years without a set-up. Can't explain it, but there it is.

I had my Hummingbird setup about 6 months after i got it. It was fine originally, but I wanted it lower. Been that way for about five years now......My J150 came directly from the factory with a truly sweet setup for my style of playing. I won't change it......My Garrison G40 came with a real comfortable setup and I've left it. My HD28 got a new setup when I did the Hummingbird. The Songwriter I had was pretty low action and comfortable, but I just couldn't get myself to play it instead of other guitars. Not a thing wrong with it. I just didn't bond with it. That may sound crazy to some, but I just didn't form an attachment to the guitar. I sold it to a minister who uses it in his church choir and band. I've heard him play and he says he's never owned a guitar that he wanted to play as much as he does the Songwriter. God Bless him, it has a good home.

I've got a $59 Rogue Auditorium something-or-other that I bought from Musicians Friend when they still had their warehouse retail store open in this area. Normally, I wouldn't be caught dead picking-up a Rogue, but the setup must have been done by God---Perfect....Anyway for the money, it's a great guitar for places I won't bring any of my other instruments.

Love the tale about the teen who got rid of the J100 for an electric. Ohhhh, the foolishness of youth...lol....

I bought my J100xtra used in 2001, but it was less than a year old. (They said it was purchased as a gift for a teenager and it was quickly exchanged it for an electric.) It was already set-up perfectly for me (medium strings, low action), and I can't say if it shipped that way or not.

Last spring, I took it to a local dealer for diagnosis of an intermittent buzzing on the D string. The Gibson rep was actually in the store at the time. Of course, none of us could replicate the buzzing, which I now think was related to the daily humidity changes happening at the time.

Since I had it there, I also asked if anyone saw a need to tweak the set-up. The rep, the owner, and the on-site tech--all of whom had strummed and tapped, etc. in search of a cause for the phantom buzz--played it again and all said "Man, I wouldn't touch anything-she sounds perfect to me." Which is what I thought.

So I never fixed what was never broke--and it's been 10 years without a set-up. Can't explain it, but there it is.

Great story Anne! Gotta love it when it works out like that... [thumbup]

I have two J-45s from 1993. I bought them 1n 93 and 95.

The one from new in 93 has been set up several times, including total fret replacement.

The other hasn't been touched since 95, and its still great.

I have two J-45s from 1993. I bought them 1n 93 and 95.

The one from new in 93 has been set up several times, including total fret replacement.

The other hasn't been touched since 95, and its still great.

Ineresting. Like all things acoustic there seems to be many variables to any question.

For the record I just had my 2009 Southern Jumbo Tweaked for the first time this week

(Slight truss rod adjustment) and it plays great now. The only issue I had was a few

fret buzzes (when I would dig in a bit) that are now gone .

The only guitar I owned that never saw the shop was an Ovation Elite I had years ago .

Archived