Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic guitars for performance????

onewilyfool

Just musing away hers.... I've seen many performers on stage with their acoustics, HOWEVER, they almpst to a person, they have the sound hole blocked!! So, NO WAY they can hear rhe acoustic sound from the sound hole, they must be hearing the sound from a pickup and the stage monitors.....My point is, that these stage performances would be the same if they had a Chet Atkins SST, for all it's worth....true acoustic sound (as close as it electronically gets) would have to be through multiple mics in a studio situation. So, for stage performances, you might as well use an electric guitar with a Piezo as a J-200 with the soundhole blocked and an undersaddle Piezo pickup????!!!!! So acoustic in performances, the acoustic is basically for show. I'd like to hear from some of the pros and hopefully they could share their stage performance set-ups....thanks....Wily

As we have said on many of our "acoustic" shows, the definition of an acoustic performance has nothing to do with the instruments you're playing (they're all plugged in), all you need to do is be sitting on STOOLS.

Our setup is to play whatever instruments we want while sitting on stools, STOOLS define the acoustic performance, nothing else.

Huh?

Have you ever heard of bluegrass. NO pickups and NO stools. We have xxx instruments, many vintage and NO PICKUPS. Nowadays, we most often use a single mic setup -- it can be made to work well. It is called acoustic music because, well, it is acoustic and not electric. Most people I play with will not even agree music made with electric guitars (any guitar with a pickup) is music at all, but I would not go quite go that far personally. If I wanted to use an electric guitar, I would basically use a 2X4 with strings, like a Les Paul, and do it all with a DSP microprocessor -- I can make that sound like whatever you like.

But I am an acoustic musicians, so that does not interest me at all. That's why I only look at the acoustic forum.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Huh?

Have you ever heard of bluegrass. NO pickups and NO stools. We have xxx instruments, many vintage and NO PICKUPS. Nowadays, we most often use a single mic setup -- it can be made to work well. It is called acoustic music because, well, it is acoustic and not electric. Most people I play with will not even agree music made with electric guitars (any guitar with a pickup) is music at all, but I would not go quite go that far personally. If I wanted to use an electric guitar, I would basically use a 2X4 with strings, like a Les Paul, and do it all with a DSP microprocessor -- I can make that sound like whatever you like.

But I am an acoustic musicians, so that does not interest me at all. That's why I only look at the acoustic forum.

Let's pick,

-Tom

Play a big stage or even crowded venue with an acoustic miked up and wait for the accidents to happen. You have to sit perfectly still believe me Ive tried it. Yes the sound hole is covered by a feedback buster but in general you with the right gear can get a beautiful sound out of a guitar. Name one band that played MTV unplugged actually unplugged? to stand or sit on stage miked up in front of you is horrible. I'll never do it again.

Huh?

Let's pick,

-Tom

I'm with ya, Brother! [thumbup]

I play acoustic and sing. The flat top box is not a prop. She earns her place on stage.

In some venues I add an on-board monitor. RadioShack mini amp with suction cup pick-up and ear phone so I can hear the chords I'm playing. Yes, the resolution is horrible, but I'm the only one who hears it.

Every acoustic guitar will sound different with the same pickup. There are certain pickups that will do better jobs than others in reproducing an acoustic sound but they will all highlight individual characteristics of the guitar they are in.

I have two setups that i currently use.

1st is a highlander IP-2 with an intermnal mic ti a stereo jack in conjunction with a Suinrise wired thru a stereo jack with a K&K pure Western mini. 2 jack in the back of the guitar.

2nd Fishman Elipse Aura and the K&K mini wired to a Stereo jack.

I use a Bose L1 Model 2 System and have no feedback issues so i never cover the soundhole.

Play a big stage or even crowded venue with an acoustic miked up and wait for the accidents to happen. I'll never do it again.

Maybe so, for rock gigs. Oth,

Best venue Ive ever played had ambient mikes. It was like surround sound (direct mikes are alright, but don't stray!).

We could compare notes on live amplification for acoustic guitar, and often do, and not reach a verdict. Each situation and every ear a little bit different. I do think, in general, that UST's are the least of the lot in what's available today in pickups. I do believe that a sound hole feedback buster alters the acoustic tone of a given guitar, but not enough to overcome any true-acoustic potential a given pickup may possess. Live microphones on-stage can be made to work in a well controlled environment, but I don't think it's very practical for a working musician.

Rambler: Great video! Playing acoustically with a single vocal mic to rally 'round! Love the song!

Paul McCartney (subject of three current threads).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyw4PLhQBIo

Red 333

I stand corrected, But I agree that a feedback buster plugged into an electric acoustic is still better than an acoustic with a pickup mounted on the sound hole or bridge. EI. Nirvana Unplugged (plugged) Personally for me unless you have an awesome sound guy (which I don't) I have to play plugged in.

Lets also ralize that even if we are purely accoustic, it is never just the guitar we hear, but the room with the guitar in it.

Even if we set about to record a guitar as purely as possible with mics, it is still an art form and an effort to capture the sound.

I have a deep respect for the Bluegrass code of no amplifying. It preserves the music form (even though "bluegrass" is such a relatively young music form). Even if the levels of one instrument are alowwed to change, it is enough to alter ones playing style.

In contrast, even when we hear an accoustic on a record, such as an accoustic part on a rock or pop song, there is no way it is close in volume to a drummer or a marshall. It is recording magic.

Contrast even further-look at Dave Matthews. He is always accoustic, but the tone he gets is not a pure tone, even on the records. He rocks with an amplified accoustic tone, and gets a good one.

Discuss

Archived