Gibson Brands Forums

Truss rod wrench?

Dave in SLC

Hex truss rod wrenches: For 5/16" (Gibson), 9/32" and 1/4" hex nuts.

Allen truss rod wrenches: For 1/8", 4mm and 5mm Allen nuts.

Soundhole truss rod wrenches: Right-angle tools for easily adjusting an acoustic guitar neck through the soundhole. 1/8" wrench reaches 5-1/2" (13.97cm) inside the guitar. 5mm wrench has 2" (5.08cm) reach, and works for Martin guitars made before August 2007 that have a soundhole-accessible truss rod.

Truss rod wrench for Fender: The 3/8"-wide (9.52mm) flat blade has the right taper and size to adjust a traditional Fender truss rod efficiently, without marring the nut.

Gripper truss rod wrench: This special tool lets you adjust a worn 1/8" Allen nut. 3/8" (9.52mm) taper from .121" to .135" (3.07mm to 3.43mm), giving you a snug fit to turn the nut and avoid a costly replacement job.

Pocket truss rod wrenches: Compact tools with a 1-1/8" (28.58mm) "bullet" socket that fits into a recessed truss rod access cavity. For 5/16" (Gibson), 9/32" and 1/4" hex nuts.

gibson_truss_rod_2.jpg

I got one from Stewart MacDonald online. It's like a good-sized screw driver with a thin-walled socket wrench on the end. It cost about 10 bucks and it works quite well. If you get tools that are too small they have a tendency to drop on the guitar and leave a ding.

Here's a link: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Truss_rods/Hex_Truss_Rod_Wrenches.html

Compare these prices:

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Search for "T Hex Wrench" You can purchase a single "T" handled wrench from these guys instead of a whole set.

This will give you the long "T" handled ones. Order the one that has the hex the full length of the wrench, not just the tip. You may not ever wear it out, but if you do the full length hex can be shortened by a quarter inch to give you a brand new tip. The others have to be thrown away.

Skip the stainless ones. Stainless is softer and will wear out quicker.

But be absolutely certain it fits... not just close. Too small a wrech will ruin the adjustment socket. I'm also leary about the ball end hex wrenches. The ball ends allow you to work the wrench while it is not in perfect alignment witht he socket screw. Doing this reduces the surface contact area between wrench and socket.. possibly leading to stripping.. might not.. but I don't think, for this purpose, it's worth the risk.

Buy a two cheap "L" shaped Hex wrench sets to determine size. One SAE the other METRIC. These will work too but are less convenient and will wear out quickly, but are okay for sizing purposes. Then order the correct sized wrench of better quality.

Contrary to the post immediately above, what you are looking for is a hex "socket" wrench, not a hex "allen" wrench. If this is a Gibson Montana guitar you may also disregard any metric sizes. As stated above, it should be 5/16" SAE hex nut on the end of the truss rod. Any quality made name brand socket wrench or "nut driver" will work. I prefer Sears Craftsman hand tools, and use a Craftsman "nut driver" on truss rod adjustments, this is the screwdriver looking tool with a socket on the end instead of a screwdriver blade. I would avoid using a ratchet wrench as it is too easy to apply too much torque, and possibly break the rod or strip out the nut. The nut driver tool makes it feel just hard enough to turn so to avoid over turning.

Gibson does not invent or manufacture tools to work on their guitars, most everything you'll ever need to do yourself can be done with standard tools. Anything you should need is available at your local hardware store for a fraction of the price of a specialty store.

That's all I've ever used, is a 5/16, preferably deep and 6 point. The wall thickness varies from brand to brand but Craftsman fits well. I do use a mini-breaker bar or flex handle, not for torque so much as finer control and an easier way to remember if I went 1/8 turn, 1/4 turn, etc.

mintcraftflexhandleFH6019.jpg

• Like 1

Dave,

I tried out a pretty cheap set of nut drivers found in the bargain bin at the local lumber yard. Being cheaply made, they were definitely narrow-walled. I wouldn't want to use them on anything that was really torqued, but they've been fine on the truss rod nuts of a J-45 I used to care for, and an AJ.

Colin

Contrary to the post immediately above' date=' what you are looking for is a hex "socket" wrench, not a hex "allen" wrench. If this is a Gibson Montana guitar you may also disregard any metric sizes. As stated above, it should be 5/16" SAE hex nut on the end of the truss rod. Any quality made name brand socket wrench or "nut driver" will work. I prefer Sears Craftsman hand tools, and use a Craftsman "nut driver" on truss rod adjustments, this is the screwdriver looking tool with a socket on the end instead of a screwdriver blade. I would avoid using a ratchet wrench as it is too easy to apply too much torque, and possibly break the rod or strip out the nut. The nut driver tool makes it feel just hard enough to turn so to avoid over turning.

Gibson does not invent or manufacture tools to work on their guitars, most everything you'll ever need to do yourself can be done with standard tools. Anything you should need is available at your local hardware store for a fraction of the price of a specialty store.[/quote']

Ah.. then when you get to the McMaster page, search "Nut Driver". You can't get any better than Sears Craftsman. A well stocked store will offer the drivers piecemeal as opposed to having to drop the coin for a whole set.. unless of course your other persuits would justify an entire set... Then again, who needs to justify tools? Eh?

• 11 years later...
9 hours ago, Curt12355 said:

Did Gibson ever make a guitar that had allen wrench truss rod instead of the bolt. How about the Gibson CSR concert series made in Canada where did have a bolt or allen wrench, thank you right now how do I

None of the USA Gibson's I've had since I bought my first one in 1974 have had anything but 5/16" hex bolt.

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

You guys do realize this post is 12 years old.   

There is a lot of that going around. I've been duped a few times in the past few months. I guess I gotta look at the OP and check the date before posting.

I correspond with a Forum Member and he has a theory its new Gibson employees here on the forum doing it. 

On 7/8/2020 at 3:19 AM, ghost_of_fl said:

And the person who resurrected this thread was using basic forum/message board etiquette (a lost art). 

Haha he, , , good one ghost_of_fl.  And being a ghost I assume you like ghost-threads.

I personally have nothing against them at all - if re-fueled well they can be seen as homage to the Board history.   

Besides the constant flow of new spectators will benefit from revived themes - even threads from the bronze age will be fresh for them. 

The Q in this one may be 12 years old, but the topic is timeless. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Buying tools, taking them home and then returning them because they don't fit, over and over. Does it not occur to anyone to simply schlepp the guitar with them to Home Depot and show one of the staff the screw or nut that requires an adjustment tool? Problem solved in one trip in five minutes.

RBSinTo

• Like 1