Gibson Brands Forums

Wes Montgomery (L5) Pickguard Nut

jpmucka

All,

I have a Custom Shop Wes Montgomery (L5) Model. Apparently, the cap nut on the end of the support rod (the one outside the bracket) fell off and I can not find it. I really want to have a Gibson replacement but I am hoping I do not need to buy the entire bracket. I have tried some of the aftermarket stuff in the past but the support rods are thinner and the nuts are typically metric. Very frustrating!

Does anyone know if there is someone at Gibson I can contact on this. I can't help but think there is a drawer of these somewhere if I just talk to the right person. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Jim Mucka

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for your lost.

Some things to consider. There's nothing like a Gibson Wes Montgomery L5, period! And when the day comes when you have to sell her (I known, never)the buyer will look down on that tacky replacement part and say,"what the @#$% is this?". The cost and value of the guitar speaks for itself. Do the right thing and take care of it the right way. You know what you already need to do.

Remember, guitars are never owned forever, just borrowed for now.

Jazz

[thumbup]

Jazz Guitar,

Great news today! I found an old gold bracket from a ES-345 that I redid the hardware on. It had the original nut was in great shape and fit right on the Wes' bracket. So I am set once I fix the superglue joint that broke on the support block. I have done this before with Plastitruct cement and it never breaks again.

Jim Mucka

Jazz Guitar,

Great news today! I found an old gold bracket from a ES-345 that I redid the hardware on. It had the original nut was in great shape and fit right on the Wes' bracket. So I am set once I fix the superglue joint that broke on the support block. I have done this before with Plastitruct cement and it never breaks again.

Jim Mucka

If you are simply just looking for a nut and you live in the USA, -- Ace Hardware... you cant beat their selection...

Jazz Guitar,

Jim Mucka

Jim,

Now that's doing the right thing.

Wes Montgomery is smiling right back at you man.

Enjoy her for years to come.

Jazz

[thumbup]

• 9 years later...

I have a L5 Montgomry, one day I opened the case and the inprint of the scratch plate had appeared on the shroud ,  that's strange ,  the next time I went to use the guitar it had got worse, till the shroud and the plate started to disintergrate, I called a pal and he said get he scratch plate off straght away ,he said it had gased it self ? I have been playing full time for 54 +years, and have owned 335's, 345's les pauls, 175s .SG 135s, and the list goes on,but I have never had that problem ,or known any  other guitar player's who have .   The scratch plate is now  a bag of brown crumbs,  and the shroud is shreded.   I am finding it hard to get a replacemente  scratch plate?