Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Have the Seymour Duncan APH-2s Alnico II Pro Slash Humbucker Pickup Set ?

rjames1973

Hi,

I am thinking about upgrading the stock pickups in my Epi Les Paul Standard and am considering the Seymour Duncan APH-2s Alnico II Pro Slash Humbucker Electric Guitar Pickup Set (see link below). Does anyone have this pickup set installed in their Epi Les Paul(s)? If so, is this a product that you recommend for someone who wants that classic Slash tone from the 'Appetite for Destruction' period? Also, does anyone know if I can get the pickup set in the zebra style as opposed to all black? Thanks!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-Duncan-APH-2s-Alnico-II-Pro-Slash-Humbucker-Electric-Guitar-Pickup-Set-105930242-i1518367.gc?source=4WFRWXX&CAWELAID=589357094

I don't have them, but I've heard good things, even from people that don't like Slash. They should nail the Slash sound or be good for any kind of bluesy classic rock. Musician's Friend has the black and the zebra sets here.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-APH2s-Alnico-II-Pro-Slash-Humbucker-Electric-Guitar-Pickup-Set?sku=712624

Supersonic101,

Thanks for the link. OOPS!!! I just looked at the link I provided in my post and saw that you can order the zebra pickup set there as well.

BTW, does anyone have the Slash Seymour Duncan zebra pickup set for sale at a lower price than the list price on the major music retail sites?

I have those in this LP Classic GT.

They came stock and they are pretty cool for blues and classic rock.

They clean up nicely as well.

I don't look for Slash's tone (in any case, I can't really get it anyway) but they sound very good on an LP anyway.

They are clearly not as hot as a JB, somewhat mellower.

lpgt22.jpg

Thanks, guys. Before I switch to the Slash pickups, would you all recommend that I upgrade the stock caps, pots, etc.? Would it make that much of a difference with the tone I'm trying to achieve? I've never switched out the internal electronics on any of my guitars, so I'm not that knowledgeable about those things. If you all do recommend some additional upgrades to the electronics, are there any specific components you recommend?

I have the Epi Slash AFD that includes these pickups. The pickups are outstanding, I'm not really a Slash or GnR fan per se, though I do like them - I bought the guitar because it sounds great, looks nice and is a solidly built guitar.

Regarding changing internals, I would recommend just installing the pickups first to see if the tone is close to what you're looking for, if not, you may want to consider changing out the caps to the Orange Drops like the AFD models. That said, the pickups are great and you'll be very happy with them, I would guess the pickup swapout alone will give you what you want. Good luck!

mikelewis,

I am extremely jealous that you have the Epi Slash AFD! [thumbup] I was thinking about getting one myself, but they're a little above my price range. Plus, I love my Epi Les Paul honeyburst too much to get something else I don't really need. Thanks for the advice on changing the stock caps to the Orange Drops. I've read a lot of great reviews about those caps on other guitar forums. I think I'll just start by installing the Slash pickups and go from there. Cheers!

I would leave the pots alone, but i would definantly change the Bridge and the nut, these are the only other changes i made to my epi and it sounds great. As for orange drops, yeah i've heard the same but maybe after another guitar purchase would i start changing those. Ya know maybe i'll buy another EPI LP and turn it into a project hmmmm :)

Cheers

RevGD Fr33ze,

I also had a new nut installed on my Epi Les Paul. It is a tusq nut. I found that the guitar just would not stay in tune, so that fixed the problem. I also have a Dot, and I was considering doing the same with it, but now I might just get rid of it. I don't like the Dots nearly as much as the Les Pauls, but I digress. [rolleyes]

The Gibson LP in this photo has one in the bridge and it bas zebra bobbins. Works well in this guitar.

DSC_1055.jpg

The Slash bridge PU is one of the best pickups I've ever played for hard rock, it is sweet and dirty. If I had an LP Standard I would probably do just as you did and switch out the bridge for a Slash, I'd probably switch the neck pickup too. I really like these pickups paired with a Les Paul.

Archived