Gibson Brands Forums

SG Bass. How do I raise neck pickup?

Lungimsam

Please let me know how the flats work on you SG. I'd like to maybe change to flats. I just don't want to have to reset it up. It feels great as is. Have you given you SG a name?

If you use the same guage, I don't think you'll have to change the setup. But if you do, take measurements so you'll remember where everything was. I like higher action and 109's due to my playing style.

No name. I have never really named my basses.

I'm looking forward to your words on the new set up all around.

The flats sound great. I am so glad. When I first got the SG, I was a little concerned because it had sort of a "quack", or gurgly sound to the tone. But the flats mellowed that out alot. I guess because they aren't as bright as the rounds. Now it has a nice round and full tone.

The tech raised the whole neck pickup because I needed more power out of that puppy. Sounds much better. The bridge pickup was fine from the start, but was much louder compared to the neck pup. He said the neck pup pole pieces were only in 25% into the magnet or something. And now they are in 75%, so that should give it more power. The whole thing is closer to the strings now. I guess I can tweak the pole pieces as desired at this point if I need to.

Anyhow, I think it sounds great. Don't hesitate to give 'em a whirl. I have tried lots of brands of flats, and the ones with the fullest and nicest tone I think are the LaBella 760FM 45-109 set and the Fender 9050M set.

Very cool. My strings are still stretching a little. I just may hang in there with the stock rounds for a bit. That was a good way of having the the pup set by a tech. At least for the first time.

That neck pup is quieter than my Pbass pups, even though you would think that massive SG humbucker would be an atom bomb. It is still quieter even though is set much closer to the strings than on my Pbasses. I don't get it. Maybe I'll replace it with an original Mudbucker if I ever get my hands on one.

Shows how different one SG is to another. I lowered my gain and volume settings by close to three full numbers. Fender to the SG. The whole room is shaking more now too.

Archived