Gibson Brands Forums

65 ES125tcd with lyre vibrola

jkchrome

Hi,

I recently acquired a 1965 ES125tdc/tcd and it has a Firebird-style vibrola with the lyre cover and plastic handle (not a sideways vibrola). Belonged to a friend of mine that has had it for over 20 years but obviously not the original owner. At first I thought it was an add-on BUT then I looked down by the strap button and no screw holes from a trapeze (the Lyre vibrola has the bracket folded over and screwed into the top). So, either it was special-ordered like that or Gibson put out a one-off or a small number of them as I can't find another like it. Anyone else seen one? Serial number starts with 35. For what it's worth, this also has an old Bigsby bridge, which kind of makes sense with the tailpiece rather than a wooden one but I don't know if that's stock. If someone out there has another, it would be good to compare. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I recently acquired a 1965 ES125tdc/tcd and it has a Firebird-style vibrola with the lyre cover and plastic handle (not a sideways vibrola). Belonged to a friend of mine that has had it for over 20 years but obviously not the original owner. At first I thought it was an add-on BUT then I looked down by the strap button and no screw holes from a trapeze (the Lyre vibrola has the bracket folded over and screwed into the top). So, either it was special-ordered like that or Gibson put out a one-off or a small number of them as I can't find another like it. Anyone else seen one? Serial number starts with 35. For what it's worth, this also has an old Bigsby bridge, which kind of makes sense with the tailpiece rather than a wooden one but I don't know if that's stock. If someone out there has another, it would be good to compare. Thanks in advance.

I have never seen on like that. Please post pictures! I would like to see for myself. Congrats on the find!

jkchrome, the 125 is stunning. The burst is really growing on me. Where did you find it? I am a sucker for a p-90 in the neck position....

Hi,

As I said in the original posting, belonged to a friend of mine that used to use it when he had a band a long time back. He had some bills to deal with and called me. So it's not a "yard sale find" or pawnshop prize, just something that came available at a time when I fortunately had the money to get it.

Archived