Gibson Brands Forums

Bill Gazzarri: The Godfather of rock-n-roll

Californiaman

Give a shout out if you ever played or went to Gazzarri's on the strip.

SO MANY LA bands got their start at Gazzarri's.

I spent a few nights there back in the day.

Usually, I was upstairs with a bottle of Jack while the band played.

It was always a rockin' good time. Even got to run the spotlight when I wasn't drinking.

Good times indeed.

Snapshot2011-04-1318-51-22.jpg

My Drummer payed quite a lot of money to play there back in the late 80's (perhaps early 90's). If you had $600 you could play just about any club on the strip, which was a great way to get a little notoriety, even though $600 at the time was a nice down payment on a PA (and I knew a few people that spent so much on playing the Strip they could have financed a Mobile Recording Studio).

Yeah, I miss that LA Scene. The more you had the more you played, quality took a back seat to capital. If you detect a hint of Sour in my recollection, you're right. That scene fizzled just as soon as I saved my first $600 bucks [cursing] !

My Drummer payed quite a lot of money to play there back in the late 80's (perhaps early 90's). If you had $600 you could play just about any club on the strip...

I wasn't a fan of Pay-to-Play.

If it's still going on, it's a shame.

Bands should be playing on their ability to play not their ability to pay.

But that's my opinion.

I wasn't a fan of Pay-to-Play.

If it's still going on, it's a shame.

Bands should be playing on their ability to play not their ability to pay.

But that's my opinion.

It still goes on to a certain extent. Say you want your band to play in an upcoming show with 4 opening slots and a headliner, you have to sell a certain amount of tickets to get your spot. If you have the money you can just buy the tickets yourself and pick your position.

As for the LA scene today, I honestly have no idea if you can pay to play anywhere anymore, I don't think so. I am pretty sure if you don't have an agent you don't play the strip.

I happen to agree with you about paying to play. I think that had a lot to do with the LA scene giving way to the Seattle Scene and why Metallica and Megadeth were more popular in San Francisco. Talent Will Out!

Archived