Gibson Brands Forums

1960's LG1

Acousticologist

Hey,

really after a vintage Gibson LG1.

Does any one know the kind of neck profile it has??

I'm really happy with the current J45 style neck, wouldn't want to go any bigger.

I have a 1957 LG-1 and the neck is very much like a J-45. I have played some early 60s models with similar necks but its seems like the later in the 60s you go, the narrower the necks. However, they do vary. In my opinion, the 1950s LG-1s are the one to get. They have better bridges made of Brazilian rosewood. Plus, I greatly prefer the non-belly bridges from this era. LG-1s from the mid 60s came from the factory with plastic bridges (failure prone) so watch out for those and/or price them accordingly assuming you will need to change the bridge as some point. It improves the tone as well.

DSCF2689.jpg

DSCF2693.jpg

I had a mid-60s LG1 for 25 years. In my opinion, it was never very easy to play (admittedly I never got a pro setup) and didn't sound all that great compared to the Gibson Gospel I got to replace it. I frankly don't understand the attraction.

The difference between the neck profile on 1957 and 1960s LG is gonna be pretty large. In 1960 Gibson went to what they called a low action, fast playing neck or something which basically just meant a thin neck. For the rest of the decade, neck profiles were all over the place. They seem to get a bit heftier around 1964 and then thin out again. While there is no good or bad regarding neck profiles, it is all a matter of preference, in my book no neck shape in the 1960s came close to that roundback neck you found on 1950s guitars.

I had a mid-60s LG1 for 25 years. In my opinion, it was never very easy to play (admittedly I never got a pro setup) and didn't sound all that great compared to the Gibson Gospel I got to replace it. I frankly don't understand the attraction.

I think different tastes in different types of music cause us to look for different sounding guitars. The biggest difference in the LG1s (I bought one new in '64 and finally gave it to my son a few years ago) is the ladder bracing and the slightly smaller size. They're preferred by some for blues. I agree - I prefer the overall 'sound' of my SJ200 and Hummingbird TV, but that might be in part because I played nothing buy the LG1 for ... a long time. Mine was very easy to play. never really needed a setup...

in my book no neck shape in the 1960s came close to that roundback neck you found on 1950s guitars.
Agree though Gibsons seem to vary all over the place.

I love the early '50s Gibson dreadnaught necks and have had a few of them. They fit me. Got a 2003 Advanced Jumbo RI that I selected--new--because the neck was like the early '50s Gibsons. They are not small but not huge. Had a '44 SJ w. a huge neck even w. a truss rod, but played plenty of old J-35s and even a couple old AJs that were pretty manageable for me.

Still have a '52 J-45 and a '62 LG-1 and the necks are surprisingly quite similar. The LG-1 has an original 'straight' wood bridge though most I've seen have been plastic. Had several other mid-60s Gibsons that varied from nice to quite thin in profile. They did go to the really thin + narrow neck in the mid-'60s but had a '65 C&W with a good round neck + 1 & 11/16" nut that was great, also a couple '65 Hummingbirds that had the narrow net/low profile 'fast action' thing going. I think they really got started on the 'fast' neck with the Hummingbird a couple of years after it's intro--some of the early ones have more typical Gibson necks--and then the neck style moved on to most Gibsons...but one never knows in Gibson land.

Guess what I'm saying is: hard to be certain on Gibson necks. Ryanfender, that LG-1 is a beauty.

Archived