Gibson Brands Forums

Holy smoke!!!

Gilliangirl

I just got home from work and there's two fully-equipped fire trucks, two District Chief fire trucks, two ambulances and a police van parked in front of the house two doors down. There's a large bright yellow hose running into/out of the house from one of the fire trucks. What would that be? Gas leak? Scary stuff!

I just got home from work and there's two fully-equipped fire trucks, two District Chief fire trucks, two ambulances and a police van parked in front of the house two doors down. There's a large bright yellow hose running into/out of the house from one of the fire trucks. What would that be? Gas leak? Scary stuff!

Dont worry, last week I came home and there was a fire truck, a fire Marshal SUV and 3 cop cars next to my house. It turns out the neighbors kid had nothing better to do then get drugged out and lock himself in his room & freak out the parents!-)

Dont worry, last week I came home and there was a fire truck, a fire Marshal SUV and 3 cop cars next to my house. It turns out the neighbors kid had nothing better to do then get drugged out and lock himself in his room & freak out the parents!-)

That seems a bit overkill, doesn't it? Hopefully that's what this is too. That kid needs to get a job! [biggrin]

Karen...

The two ambulances may be the best clue. I can't see the "big yellow hose," but it likely would either carry water in or out or... if it's even bigger, it could be exhausting something. If it's exhausting something or pumping fresh air in, my guess would be carbon monoxide which is not frightening except that it will kill you if that's what you're breathing. A worst case scenario would be a sufficient concentration of sewer gas to injure folks.

There are variations on the theme, but those tend to be most frequent.

m

when i was a volunteer, we used to use rigid hose for pumpouts: do you see a waterflow anywhere in the street? flooded basements can be a mess.

Holy smoke part two.... we have had record snowfall this year. We got another 35 cm last night, then above zero temps today. We live on a sloped hill. When I read your post I headed downstairs to see if my basement was flooded. Well, it's not flooded but one corner is dripping soaking wet! So I'll bet that's what's going on!

Holy smoke part two.... we have had record snowfall this year. We got another 35 cm last night, then above zero temps today. We live on a sloped hill. When I read your post I headed downstairs to see if my basement was flooded. Well, it's not flooded but one corner is dripping soaking wet! So I'll bet that's what's going on!

we always did our worst pumpouts this time of year, frozen pipes thawing and subsequently bursting, snow melting, sumps backing up, etc.

In the middle of the day? I thought the aliens only did their abductions at nighttime on a lone stretch of road in front of someone named Vernon in his 1969 Ford F-150?

That is for American abductions, i.e. when abducting rednecks that is the procedure.

Canadian abductions can happen during all hours, and I hear many happen when poeple are at work.

Where in the world are you, those fire trucks are camper vans!

Haha no those red camper vans are the deputies' vehicles. The firetrucks are hard to see in the photo. The whole show has dissipated now. The last to leave were the firetrucks and deputies. Might never know for sure what happened but it was exciting. [thumbup]

Glad you're okay and the situation is over.

I just got back from a work meeting at our emergency dispatch center and a paramedic was dispatched to a 50-y-o lady who had fallen semi-consciousness. Trips like that make one recognize at times how fragile we all can be.

Yeah, this weather is hard on basements. The radar is showing that your snow is kinda turning around and coming back at us.

My s-i-l had an interesting day. Her boss ran into her vehicle - boom and damage; she came home to the roof leaking and dripping through the kitchen light onto the floor; and their well stopped working so no water to clean up the water dripping into the house. Sheesh.

I'm just working late and ain't gonna complain.

m

Glad you're okay and the situation is over.

I just got back from a work meeting at our emergency dispatch center and a paramedic was dispatched to a 50-y-o lady who had fallen semi-consciousness. Trips like that make one recognize at times how fragile we all can be.

Yeah, this weather is hard on basements. The radar is showing that your snow is kinda turning around and coming back at us.

My s-i-l had an interesting day. Her boss ran into her vehicle - boom and damage; she came home to the roof leaking and dripping through the kitchen light onto the floor; and their well stopped working so no water to clean up the water dripping into the house. Sheesh.

I'm just working late and ain't gonna complain.

m

I sure hope you're not getting this weird weather pattern down your way. We got 35 cm over night, and the temps are higher, it's almost water. Very heavy to shovel! I attended a seminar a few years back (quite a few years back) about first aid/CPR. It was taught by some of the EMS guys. One of them told me something I've never forgotten...... if you hear an ambulance siren on a snowy winter morning, it's likely someone who was out shovelling snow and suffered a heart attack!

You're right milod...... life could be worse I suppose [biggrin]

Archived