Gibson Brands Forums

Help me identify my ES 335, Please. Serial Number

JPMike

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forums and definitely not my last.

I got a ES 335 Dot Figured Gloss in cherry red. I bought this guitar new from a guitar store back in late 2009. I wanted it to check the Serial Number just out of curiosity to see when exactly it was made etc.

The result I got is 26th October of 2001 , Production number 30 from Nashville plant.

It's really weird, cause I bought the guitar after 8 years it was made? for the price of a new?

This is the SN: 02991330

I would like some info on this if possible, please.

Thank you in advance,

Mike

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forums and definitely not my last.

I got a ES 335 Dot Figured Gloss in cherry red. I bought this guitar new from a guitar store back in late 2009. I wanted it to check the Serial Number just out of curiosity to see when exactly it was made etc.

The result I got is 26th October of 2001 , Production number 30 from Nashville plant.

It's really weird, cause I bought the guitar after 8 years it was made? for the price of a new?

This is the SN: 02991330

I would like some info on this if possible, please.

Thank you in advance,

Mike

According to the serial number that info seems correct. It was made on the 299th day of 2001.

Below is from Gibson's site.

"In 1977, Gibson first introduced the serialization method that is in practice today. This updated system

utilizes an impressed eight digit numbering scheme that covers both serializing and dating functions. The

pattern is as follows:

YDDDYPPP

YY is the production year

DDD is the day of the year

PPP is the plant designation and/or instrument rank.

The numbers 001-499 show Kalamazoo production, 500-999 show Nashville production. The Kalamazoo

numbers were discontinued in 1984."

• 2 weeks later...

According to the serial number that info seems correct. It was made on the 299th day of 2001.

Below is from Gibson's site.

"In 1977, Gibson first introduced the serialization method that is in practice today. This updated system

utilizes an impressed eight digit numbering scheme that covers both serializing and dating functions. The

pattern is as follows:

YDDDYPPP

YY is the production year

DDD is the day of the year

PPP is the plant designation and/or instrument rank.

The numbers 001-499 show Kalamazoo production, 500-999 show Nashville production. The Kalamazoo

numbers were discontinued in 1984."

PLEASE TELL ME YOU DID NOT BUY FROM GUITAR CENETER FOR THAT SOUNDS LIKE WHAT THEY DO,,,

THEY GET ALL LEFT OVERS FROM GIBSON,FENDER EACH YEAR AND BY SEELING HEM AT TODAYS PROCESONLY INCRFEASES HERE PROFITMARGAIN.

WHY NOT CALL 1-800-GIBSON AND FIND OT WHERE THE GUITAR CAME FROM

THEY KNOW WHAT DEALER HAD IT=... AND IF YOU WERE OVER CHARGED THEY WILL INTERVENE

PERSONALLY IF IT WAS BOUGHT RECENTLY I WOULD RETURN IT AND GET IT ROMA REPUTABLE EALER....

REMEMBER THE 1ST AND 5TH NUMBERS TELl YOU THE YEAR

RETRUNR IT IF YA CAN...IF NOT SPEAK TO THE MANAGER, IF YA BOUGHT IT ONA CC CALLTHEM AND DISPUTR THE CHARGE AND ATTEMPT TO RETURN.YOU'LLBE SURPRISED HOW MUCH GIBSON WILL DO

St James

psSORRY ABOUTTHE SPELLING JUST HAD EYE SURGERY AND CAN;T SEE WELL

JUST BE NICE...

If it is an old guitar sold new, it is not that unusual. Today we have the innernets to look stuff up, the old days of Serial Number Mystification are gone.

GC gets leftovers? Funny. That isn't how it works.

Gibson will intervene if you are overcharged? Good luck with that.

You have what today is called NOS guitar. You don't say whom you bought it from, I am going to guess a mom and pop and onea the prolly not so well paid kids sold it to you. GC or Sam Ash PROBABLY wouldn't have sold it as new, prolly woulda put a NOS tag on it or something to that effect, still woulda charged the same though.

Or, as is often the case in the distant land of Serial Numberization, they started over with the numbers. Again. Either way, if it's a good guitar it's still a good guitar. If you sincerely doubt the authenticity of whatever deal you made, I would take it back to the dealer and talk about it. You may leave with an amp, couple boxes of strings or something, once it is made clear that you understand what is up with this. Since you were willing to throw down for a 335 he'll probably want to keep you coming back.

Good luck with it.

rct

Archived