Gibson Brands Forums

1978 Ibanez George Benson GB 10

red7654

Hello to you all. Has anyone of you owned one of these Ibenez guitars? I get conflicting info on them when I look them up.

At one point it says solid spruce tops and another sentence says laminated top.

Would love to hear from anyone who has owned one.

Thanks

Robert

I have never owned one ( I WISH ). They have always had lamanite tops, to reduce feedback and make the tone a little woodier ( which is what GB wants ). Ibanez has always made great instruments and pedals ( except for the tube screamer reissues---NOTHING LIKE THE REAL DEAL, and the 10 series of the late 80s, the Soundtank series of the 90s and the ToneLok series of now ). If you want one and have the dough then get one. They are awesome jazz cats.

I don't know that specific guitar, but I can tell you that in the mid 1970s - when some American designs were being copied outright in spite of no attempt at copying the name or documentation, Ibanez made some exceptionally fine production line jazz guitars with laminated tops such as Gibson uses. The necks of the mid 70s era were very Gibsonlike at the time. Assuming all else is aok, there still could be some finish issues at the intersection of the neck and body.

I'd wager that any Ibanez from that era likely would be of better quality than what they're building now even if the same people were making it in the same factory. But maybe I'm just saying that 'cuz I wasn't a entirely a kid even back then then and I'm not sure what woods might be available to wherever they're building stuff now. <grin>

m

I don't know that specific guitar, but I can tell you that in the mid 1970s - when some American designs were being copied outright in spite of no attempt at copying the name or documentation, Ibanez made some exceptionally fine production line jazz guitars with laminated tops such as Gibson uses. The necks of the mid 70s era were very Gibsonlike at the time. Assuming all else is aok, there still could be some finish issues at the intersection of the neck and body.

I'd wager that any Ibanez from that era likely would be of better quality than what they're building now even if the same people were making it in the same factory. But maybe I'm just saying that 'cuz I wasn't a entirely a kid even back then then and I'm not sure what woods might be available to wherever they're building stuff now. <grin>

m

I just recently had to sell my Ibanez scofield model (which is a replica of an old as-200) and I have to say, the production was at least as good as anything they used to do.

Happy to report.

And I agree that what Ibanez made back then as far as the pro models are truly great guitars.

Ibanez instruments seem to be well recieved.........I don't own any of their electrics, but, their basses are awesome, and their mid-level acoustics are top notch.......

Which means to me that their semi hollows and hollows would also be top notch...........

( Gretch imports seem to be, ah, pointless, and over priced.)

A couple of not totally unconnected musings....

I heard that Ibanez subcontract all their production

The GB 10 is a slimline beauty with floating pickups for feedback reduction

There is a great U Tube clip of John Scofield playing a Telecaster....

V

:-({|=

( Gretch imports seem to be, ah, pointless, and over priced.)

Au contraire mon ami...top line Gretsch's are beautifully made in Japan and offer interesting tonal alternatives to Gibsons

And at a comparable price....

V

A couple of not totally unconnected musings....

I heard that Ibanez subcontract all their production

The GB 10 is a slimline beauty with floating pickups for feedback reduction

There is a great U Tube clip of John Scofield playing a Telecaster....

V

Yes, they did subcontract the products but the way the Japanese companies did this is not the way we are familiar with the way we think of subcontracting, or the same way Epiphone subcontracts its guitars. The Japanese companies make business deals with each other involving products and the same company makes the same product for the duration, and not nessesarily like going to the lowest bidder. It is more like a partnership, and they stick to it as a matter of honor.

This would be a good thing for JOE JAPAN SAN to comment on.

Japanese QC is the same as in the US.......Touch and go..............There is high end, and low end...........

Ibanez Japanese basses are top notch.....................

I love all my Epis, haven't boughten a bad one yet....whom ever made them.....

I'll take an American made Gretsch....and MIM Fenders..........

Hello to you all. Has anyone of you owned one of these Ibenez guitars? I get conflicting info on them when I look them up.

At one point it says solid spruce tops and another sentence says laminated top.

Would love to hear from anyone who has owned one.

Thanks

Robert

I am not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread... Too lazy to read all of it... but 1978 was the first year of produciton for this model... That increases the value a bit...

Archived