Gibson Brands Forums

J-200 strap button

jenniferk

It's been 4 weeks with my new J-200 and am going to a luthier tomorrow for installation of neck strap button. Please does anyone have a diagram with specific location and measurements reccommended by Gibson for correct placement? I saw one online before I got the guitar but cannot find it now. Want to make sure I am doing the right thing!

It's been 4 weeks with my new J-200 and am going to a luthier tomorrow for installation of neck strap button. Please does anyone have a diagram with specific location and measurements reccommended by Gibson for correct placement? I saw one online before I got the guitar but cannot find it now. Want to make sure I am doing the right thing!

I had bought this Gold Gibson brand strap peg set a while back and I just installed it on my brand new Gibson J-200 Custom. I just put it in the middle on the ebony or rosewood line. It works great and it looks really professional. Its a tough thing to do to spend as much as I did on this guitar and then take a drill to it the first day I got it!!

100_2823.jpg

100_2824.jpg

Here's a picture of the generally acceptable options (from stewmac):

I myself don't use one on my acoustics but the general consensus otherwise seems to be position 5. treble side of the heel. . . .

+1

Yes, we just had a thread on this topic - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/66709-j45s-strap-button/

And as Jchabalk says, most guys like position 5. . . . . (I've had a couple non-Gibsons with buttons in positions 1 & 2).

Position 5 definitely gets my vote. The weight of the guitar doesn't tend to pull the strap off of the button the way it can with some locations. On instruments with a sufficiently wide neck block, you can go through the side right next to the neck heel and the screw will be anchored in the block. I've done that on a tenor guitar that was quite light and had a nice substantial neck block. 1 and 2 are my least favorite and can mess up the way the guitar fits in the case. In fact, think about case clearance for any strap button location before you make a final choice.

That Stewmac diagram is mis-leading. Please ignore the positions that go straight into the body -- not a good idea on an acoustic. The ideal position is on the treble side of the neck heel. Please also note that any damage that occurs from this installation will not be covered under warranty.

• 6 months later...

Position 5 definitely gets my vote. The weight of the guitar doesn't tend to pull the strap off of the button the way it can with some locations. On instruments with a sufficiently wide neck block, you can go through the side right next to the neck heel and the screw will be anchored in the block. I've done that on a tenor guitar that was quite light and had a nice substantial neck block. 1 and 2 are my least favorite and can mess up the way the guitar fits in the case. In fact, think about case clearance for any strap button location before you make a final choice.

Devellis, Do you mind telling me what kind of tenor you did this for? After years of longing, I have finally got myself a '37 TG-50, but like the control of the strap button rather than tying the strap on. I just don't want to put it in the wrong place and can't see inside since it's an arch top. Thanks.

Devellis, Do you mind telling me what kind of tenor you did this for? After years of longing, I have finally got myself a '37 TG-50, but like the control of the strap button rather than tying the strap on. I just don't want to put it in the wrong place and can't see inside since it's an arch top. Thanks.

I did this on a 1945 Martin 0-17T. Nice guitar and the button position works well on it. No relevance to your situation, unfortunately.

No offense but...it's a strap button. Position 5, poke a nice center punch, drill a hole a tad smaller than the screw thickness and screw the thing in. A little care is all it takes, it's a strap button. You don't need calipers to do it.

That Stewmac diagram is mis-leading. Please ignore the positions that go straight into the body -- not a good idea on an acoustic. ...

In their defense, the diagram is part of an article which explains that not every position is appropriate for every guitar -- you have to check the neck block width and whether there is any hardware that would get in the way -- and in particular that position #3 often requires adding a reinforcement block (and shows how to add one). The standalone diagram may be misleading, but the article it was extracted from is pretty good.

-- Bob R

So the real question is, will some rocket scientist look at the picture, not read the article, and end up putting 5 strap buttons on a guitar?

If you think no one could do something that dumb, here's a story. My niece is a physician and one of the nurses she works with was planning a trip and asked my niece if there was anything she should do to stay healthy and comfortable during the long flight involved. My niece has often bought Ocean, which is a brand of saline nose spray and used it on long flights to keep the inside of her nose from getting all dried out and she passed on the suggestion, which the nurse welcomed receiving. One of the other nurses had a flash of insight and said, "Oh-oh, I need to check something," and went and talked to the first nurse. As she had feared, the first nurse was planning on spritzing her nose with Ocean Spray cranberry juice for the flight rather than the saline solution. Wonder how that would have worked out.

Oh, and no offense intended toward anyone with five strap buttons on their guitar.

Archived