Gibson Brands Forums

How Often Do You Change Your Tubes?

Tman5293

I was just wondering how often everyone here changes their tubes. I just replaced all five of my tubes and re-biased my amp to use the new power amp tubes. I was wondering when the next time is that I should replace them. Most websites I read said I should replace the power amp tubes once a year and the preamp tubes every 5-6 years.

So how often do you change your tubes? msp_cool.gif

That is a good question, but there is no one answer. The once a year thing (or every 5 for preamp) thing really doesn't apply to reality, because we ALL play our amps at different amounts. Tube wear varies GREATLY depending on what kind of amp it is and how the amp is biased.

The only reason I ever change tubes is for an improvement. Tube quality varies so much that you can't really determine how long it will last, and when one goes bad it doesn't really say much about the rest. Sometimes you can have a preamp tube last almost forever. I am one of those guys that likes to try tubes tho, so for me chances are that a tube might already be changed before it goes dead, while at the same time I'm gonna run a tube to the bitter end if it is the best sounding tube.

One way you can tell if a tube has wear (both preamp and power tubes) is to look at the insides. That grey stuff that collects on the inside is particles that shed off the tube. That can be handy if you have an amp that likes to eat power tubes and you want to get an idea if you have put wear on them and might get an improvement replacing them.

Also, 9 times out of 10, a tube will start to make funny noises and pops rather than just quit at once, so having spares works if you have them with you and can quickly replace them when it comes up. The trick is to have a full set with you.

Besides all the useless info I just gave, it would be of help to know the amp and what type/brand of tubes we are talking about.

I was wondering when the next time is that I should replace them. Most websites I read said I should replace the power amp tubes once a year and the preamp tubes every 5-6 years.

BS. They're trying to sell you tubes. If it ain't broke don't fix it... but if one blows change em all at the same time. I am sure there tone chasers who will disagree but they are full of it IMO.

BS. They're trying to sell you tubes. If it ain't broke don't fix it... but if one blows change em all at the same time. I am sure there tone chasers who will disagree but they are full of it IMO.

Actually, most of what I read said that they should be change in order to avoid tone loss. The tone tends to fade through heavy usage.

That is a good question, but there is no one answer. The once a year thing (or every 5 for preamp) thing really doesn't apply to reality, because we ALL play our amps at different amounts. Tube wear varies GREATLY depending on what kind of amp it is and how the amp is biased.

The only reason I ever change tubes is for an improvement. Tube quality varies so much that you can't really determine how long it will last, and when one goes bad it doesn't really say much about the rest. Sometimes you can have a preamp tube last almost forever. I am one of those guys that likes to try tubes tho, so for me chances are that a tube might already be changed before it goes dead, while at the same time I'm gonna run a tube to the bitter end if it is the best sounding tube.

One way you can tell if a tube has wear (both preamp and power tubes) is to look at the insides. That grey stuff that collects on the inside is particles that shed off the tube. That can be handy if you have an amp that likes to eat power tubes and you want to get an idea if you have put wear on them and might get an improvement replacing them.

Also, 9 times out of 10, a tube will start to make funny noises and pops rather than just quit at once, so having spares works if you have them with you and can quickly replace them when it comes up. The trick is to have a full set with you.

Besides all the useless info I just gave, it would be of help to know the amp and what type/brand of tubes we are talking about.

Thanks for taking the time to type out such a lengthy and well detailed response. msp_thumbup.gif

My amp is a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212. I just put a whole new set of Groove Tubes in it.

IMHO It is pretty much based on how much and how long you play as well as bias setting. If you play 5 hours a year then your tubes will probably last forever. If you play 5 hours a day you might not make it a year. When tubes die it is usually pretty obvious as mentioned above. If they wear naturally you will eventually notice the tone, response, output, harmonics, sustain and gain of the amp just aren't what they used to be. You will know it when it gets to that point because you won't be able to get "That sound" out of your amp anymore and will spend more time trying to dial in your tone...

Andy

Thanks for taking the time to type out such a lengthy and well detailed response. msp_thumbup.gif

My amp is a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212. I just put a whole new set of Groove Tubes in it.

ah..ok..

Groove tubes are the VENDER. I am pretty sure they are the best still, but Mr. Pittman has sold the company to Fender, but they still should use the same care they always have in the testing and selecting and such. So whatever brand or type they are can still be anything. They get their tubes as cheap as Chinese and as good as rescent American made as well as some NOS.

As for the amp, that amp is fiarly hard on tubes but doesn't absolutely eat them like some amps do. I have personal experience with the Blues deluxe, but not the deville. I say that because 6l6's are pretty robust as a whole (not like el84's in some amps that just get wore down fast) but at 60 watts the tubes will be running at the max a 6l6 can do, and therefore running pretty hot. Just maybe an idea (an faux experienced uneducated guess) about 100 to 400 hours playing time, depending on the make.

If it interest you, I found the the blues deluxe to be very reactive to power tube type, as in making a big difference in tone, but not so much difference in preamp tube type compared to most amps.

couldn't agree more !!

I burned the same quad of early 70s Amporex 6L6GCs for 12, yes TWELVE years of moderate/sometimes heavy use.

Also burned the same twin trios of Mullard Ecc82s and Mullard Ecc83s for the same amount of time (normal & bright).

Heres the kicker....this amp was bought new in '71 (by the friend that gave it to me before cancer took him) and my buddy SWORE he'd never installed new tubes......it was in storage for most of the '80s, but it ran on these same tubes until 2005 !!!

My new(ish) Blackstar had a pre-amp swap to boost the tone, but i'm gonna see how long the stock power lasts....

As others have said I change tubes for two reasons:

1. Catastrophic failure when a tube fails

or

2. When the sound starts to deteriorate and gets bad enough that I wish the tubes would fail

Too many variables but to just change them based on a calendar date makes no sense to me after all tubes wear out but they don't deteriorate just with age...

As others have said I change tubes for two reasons:

1. Catastrophic failure when a tube fails

or

2. When the sound starts to deteriorate and gets bad enough that I wish the tubes would fail

Too many variables but to just change them based on a calendar date makes no sense to me after all tubes wear out but they don't deteriorate just with age...

I agree with Retro on this; Perhaps because I'm NOT BIASED.......[flapper][thumbup] :unsure: ....

couldn't agree more !!

I burned the same quad of early 70s Amporex 6L6GCs for 12, yes TWELVE years of moderate/sometimes heavy use.

Also burned the same twin trios of Mullard Ecc82s and Mullard Ecc83s for the same amount of time (normal & bright).

Heres the kicker....this amp was bought new in '71 (by the friend that gave it to me before cancer took him) and my buddy SWORE he'd never installed new tubes......it was in storage for most of the '80s, but it ran on these same tubes until 2005 !!!

My new(ish) Blackstar had a pre-amp swap to boost the tone, but i'm gonna see how long the stock power lasts....

Amperex and Mullard. Amperex and Mullard. Amperex and Mullard. IS this...heaven?

Guest FarnsBarns

I have a Marshall TSL 60 (can't remember what valves are in it). I've used it for about an hour a day for 8 years or 2970 hours, other than pulling one, once, and reseating to clean up the contacts, there has never been a reason to change them. The amp went back to Marshall for a service recently and they said nothing about the valves. Clearly they would have known that if they had suggested a replacement of all the valves i'd have agreed it but still they didn't. In fact, they said everything was fine and sent it back with no charge.

Guest FarnsBarns

It's a darn shame..........Brits don't use tube amps; They have to settle for valve amps......

I feel so sorry for them.........[flapper][crying] :unsure: [scared][lol] [lol] ...................

It's because our front panels are made from aluminium but you guys have some strange metal called alooominum. [biggrin]

It depends on how hard you drive them, if you play with your amp on 10 all the time you will go through tubes a lot quicker. If the bias is set too high it will eat tubes quicker. Also the amp class, class A will not last as long as class A/B. Heat is also a big killer, bad venting and physical abuse like vibrations, shock from rough transportation as well as non use of the stand by switch. all wear on tubes. The old days you brought your tubes down to the drug store and checked them for free on the meter.

Kinda related to this thread... I have, on more than one occasion, forgotten to shut of my amp when leaving my studio. needless to say the amp stayed on all night long. It wasn't being used, just on all night, would that damage the tubes? I may ask the same question in a new thread...

Kinda related to this thread... I have, on more than one occasion, forgotten to shut of my amp when leaving my studio. needless to say the amp stayed on all night long. It wasn't being used, just on all night, would that damage the tubes? I may ask the same question in a new thread...

It would keep the studio nice and warm [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

I've changed the tubes in my 1978 Music Man 2x12 (which I bought new/ex-demo in 1980) once when the tone started to 'mud-up' about 12 years ago.

So, to answer the OP, once in 33 years (and counting...)

P.

Archived