Gibson Brands Forums

How Often Do You Change Your Tubes?

Tman5293

IMHO It is pretty much based on how much and how long you play as well as bias setting. If you play 5 hours a year then your tubes will probably last forever. If you play 5 hours a day you might not make it a year. When tubes die it is usually pretty obvious as mentioned above. If they wear naturally you will eventually notice the tone, response, output, harmonics, sustain and gain of the amp just aren't what they used to be. You will know it when it gets to that point because you won't be able to get "That sound" out of your amp anymore and will spend more time trying to dial in your tone...

Andy

+1

Let me add that it also depends on how you biased you amp. You can bias the tubes with a higher voltage reading thus making a hotter sounding amp. When/if you do this then it will burn up the power tubes quicker. I believe part of EVH's brown sound was from pushing his powertubes to the max (and then some lol).

As for pre-amp tubes - they can last many many many years. Only replace them when needed or as mentioned as a tone shaper.

For those of you who change all the tubes if only one goes - You can send me your old unused tubes.

Actually, most of what I read said that they should be change in order to avoid tone loss. The tone tends to fade through heavy usage.

Well then there is your answer! When you "think" you are experiencing "tone loss" then you should change them.

I have a Peavey 6505+112 & a ValveKing112 and I've not changed the tubes yet (6505 is a year+ old and I'm the 2nd owner of the VK and have had it about 3 years (have no idea about the original owner maintenance habits)).

Actually, most of what I read said that they should be change in order to avoid tone loss. The tone tends to fade through heavy usage.

Well if the tone starts to sound like dookie, I might call that "broke needs fixing." I dunno, maybe that's just me... "Hey Wally my amp sounds bad!" "Gee maybe it's malfunctioning, Beav."

Teasing aside, feel free to throw out your tubes every year, it's your money... at least mail them to me-- I'd love to have practically-new, perfectly good spares laying around.

I had tubes replaced when they started to sound bad. It was a 1994 I believe Sunn and all the tubes were weird Chinese off brands. Had em replaced and it sounded better.

If I was seriously gigging and making good money with music, I would probably change them every year just because I would hate for something shitty to happen on stage

Teasing aside, feel free to throw out your tubes every year, it's your money... at least mail them to me-- I'd love to have practically-new, perfectly good spares laying around.

Hey man back off - I asked first!! [flapper]

It's good to always carry some spares to a gig or practice for that matter.

Amperex and Mullard. Amperex and Mullard. Amperex and Mullard. IS this...heaven?

it was pure "Eutonepia" [biggrin]

it was also a "master volume" equipped amp, so I usually wrung up the preamp , then used enough master to get the job done........but with both "wide open" it was heard clearly over 1/2 mile away several times.

I still have all 6 preamp tubes, undamaged......and 3 of the Ampe's (wiped 1 off to chk the spelling [thumbup] )are still fine.

Put up safely for future use in other amps.

Well if the tone starts to sound like dookie, I might call that "broke needs fixing." I dunno, maybe that's just me... "Hey Wally my amp sounds bad!" "Gee maybe it's malfunctioning, Beav."

You are obviously ( and rightfully so) to be skeptical about tone/power loss as tubes are (keyword) used. I can say that my ears don't tell me I need to go out and spend $300.00 on tubes without a good argument with my skeptical side. If I am unsure I take them to my buddies tube amp repair shop and have him run them on his tester to see where they are at concerning peak operating specs. I have found a few times that maybe 1 or 2 tubes were further out of operating spec and only replaced them and tone/volume came back. I also think that tube wear is less evident maybe even caused less if you play with low gain and distortion and definitely volume.

I agree I wouldn't change tubes just because a year passed by or ten for that matter but when they get weak I know it. I would be happy to send you my spent tubes and Filter caps for that matter[biggrin] They might still sound great in a clean amp.

You are obviously ( and rightfully so) to be skeptical about tone/power loss as tubes are (keyword) used. I can say that my ears don't tell me I need to go out and spend $300.00 on tubes without a good argument with my skeptical side. If I am unsure I take them to my buddies tube amp repair shop and have him run them on his tester to see where they are at concerning peak operating specs. I have found a few times that maybe 1 or 2 tubes were further out of operating spec and only replaced them and tone/volume came back. I also think that tube wear is less evident maybe even caused less if you play with low gain and distortion and definitely volume.

I agree I wouldn't change tubes just because a year passed by or ten for that matter but when they get weak I know it. I would be happy to send you my spent tubes and Filter caps for that matter[biggrin] They might still sound great in a clean amp.

I might take you up on that, but I have a feeling that when you think a tube is spent, that tube is SPENT!

Thought of something I might add.

I used to see MANY occasions where a guy would take his amp in to be checked, and be told sinse it had been so long that the tubes should be replaced, then only to have some perfectly fine, good QUALITY old tubes be replaced and biased with cheaper, low quality tubes. It may have fresh tubes, but the amp ends up sounding no where near as good as it did before it was serviced.

Just something to be aware of, and a good reason to have your old tubes returned to you whenever you have amp work done.

I might take you up on that, but I have a feeling that when you think a tube is spent, that tube is SPENT!

He he Yep Not much left but the faint glow of the heater....[flapper]

Thought of something I might add.

I used to see MANY occasions where a guy would take his amp in to be checked, and be told sinse it had been so long that the tubes should be replaced, then only to have some perfectly fine, good QUALITY old tubes be replaced and biased with cheaper, low quality tubes. It may have fresh tubes, but the amp ends up sounding no where near as good as it did before it was serviced.

Just something to be aware of, and a good reason to have your old tubes returned to you whenever you have amp work done.

+1 for that.

TUBES NEED TO BE BROKEN IN LIKE A CAR.

SLOWLY AND GRADUALLY.

I HAVE 4 DELUXE REVERB;S ALL 1965;S ALL ORIGINAL AND TUBES INCLUDED.i HAVE A 457 TWIN DELUXE AND IOT STILL IS 100% ORIGINAL

LET EM WARM UP BEFORE PLAYING N COOL DOWN BEORFE TURNING IT OFF AND THEY'LL LAST LONGER

WITH TODAYS TUBES WHEN YOU NOTICE A LOSS OF SOUND OR REVERB OR EFFECTS ETC...TIME TO CHANGE

BUT THEY MUST ALL BE CHANGED OR ELSE THE OTHERS WILL BURN OUT AND

BE SURE THEY ARE BIASED.!!!!!!!!!!!

St James

REMEMBER ANAMPO TECH WILLTELL YOU WHAT HE NEEDS TO MAKE MONEY....GET TUBE AMPS 101 BY ALLESANDRO AND WITH A FEW TOOLS YOU CAN CHECK OUT 99% OF WHAT THE TECH IS LIEING ABOUT

YOUR HIS CUSTOMER NOT HIS FRIEND !!!

SPELL CHECK AND CAPS LOCK CAN BE USEFUL.................just sayin'........:blink: ..

NOT IF YOUR BLIND IN ONE EYE AND HAVE A TUMOR IN THE OTHER, YET I STLL MANAGE TO HAVE KEPT THE SAME LABEL FOR 35 YEARS OR SO AND CONTINUE TO OPEN FOR BB KING BUDDY GUY, JOE BONAMASSA AND OTHER NAMES THAT YOU HEAR AT THE SHOWS AND ON CD'

PLEASE LEARN SOME MANNERS

A NICE PRIVATE MESSAGE COULD HAVE AVOIDED MY LASH BACK

NEXT TIME PLEASE DO SO.

I AM AWAITING TRHE VA TO SUPPLY ME WITH A COMPUTER THAT TYPES TO MY VOICE ALL JUST FOR YOU !!!'

RESPECTFULLY

'JAMES

MY APLOGIES TO THOSE WHO SEEM TO NOT BE ABLE TO CONTRIBUTE TO A QUESTION DSUEW TO MY USEOF CAPS,

IT BOTHER NO ONE MORE THAN I,,,,,THE THOUGHT OF NEVER SEEING MY WIFE AGAIN IS A LOSS I'LL NEVER GET USED TO

I AM TO THINKING OF AN EXPERIMENTAL OPEATION IN A MONTH OR SO ON THE EYE NOT COMPLETELY GONE BUT IF IT GOES WORNG

I'LL BE TOTALLY BLIND AND THAT I AM NOT READY FOR.

DECISIONS DECISIONS..AT LEAST I KNEW HOW TO PLAY BEFORE THIS HAPPENED

THANKS FOR UNDERSTANDING

RESPECFULLY

JAMES

THANKS FOR UNDERSTANDING

Jeez, so sorry dude........................Disabled people rock.....[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .......no offence meant.........

I'm disabled myself, and lovin' every second of it..............

That sucks. Sorry to hear of your situation. I hope we can still hang out and be friends.

To spite your condition, you still have a lot to offer, and we can put up with bad spelling and such. There is more to seeing that what the eyes see. That is what Jesus said anyway. Poeple here put up with my spelling here as I learned how to type properly.

Archived