Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zushin

Amps

Hey there,

So recently I just got my very first SG, and am now looking to buy an appropriate amp for it. Was just looking for some suggestions. My budget is around $700 AUD, and would prefer a tube amp if possible.

Thanks alot :)

Many choices possible new or secondhand

Mine sounds good through Laney VC 30 and Laney LH 50

And Roland Cube 80

All reasonably priced

Do you use FX too?.....

V

:-({|=

Many choices possible new or secondhand

Mine sounds good through Laney VC 30 and Laney LH 50

And Roland Cube 80

All reasonably priced

Do you use FX too?.....

V

:-({|=

Yeah I do. Thanks for the suggestions, so far I was looking at the Marshall Class 5, it's a bit more expensive then what I was looking for, but it might be worth the extra $$. Some other choices I found were the Fender Mustang II, VT40+ and the Roland Cube 40, do you have any thoughts on these?

Thanks.

post-10680-014860600 1303880361_thumb.jpgpost-10680-026056600 1303881348_thumb.jpg

Hey there,

So recently I just got my very first SG, and am now looking to buy an appropriate amp for it. Was just looking for some suggestions. My budget is around $700 AUD, and would prefer a tube amp if possible.

Thanks alot :)

HI there my friend and welcome.

Whjat makes this question HARD to answer is not knowing what tone you prefer. But I'll go with NORMAL answer for ya.

It is al old sayying that GIBSON guitars and FENDER AMPs arelike soup and sadnwhich.

But first I must ask you do you want GRIT or do you want that traditrional sound of warmth , beatifull clean notes that ring like a church belll or that ROCK N ROLL CRUNCH.

FOr what yo uare doing to give you the BEST tone yo need an amo from 15-under 20 watts.. I would suggest TWO amps

1...The PRINCVETON REVERB Re-issue though it says 899.99 it can be bbought for under 700.00 say 625.oo 15 watts, reverb and still useing ^l or 6 V tubes, The other the 65 DELUXE REVERB re-isue it seel for 999.99 but can beboufght for about the same as the PRINCTON keep inmind used they can be bougfht for 500.00 and inder and they DO have 4 year transferable warranty....so beforey a buy get the numbers off the AMP call Fender and see when it went into use, and see how much time you have left on your warrarnty.

Now what youllget tonally is a warmth , and tonal quality that is SECOND to none, Being LOW WATTAGE is a GOOD thing do NOT think MORE watts means better sound , just more volume and my DELUXE REVEB at 22 watts you could never trurn to 10 and be in the same room

What you get with the low wattage amp is the easy capability since you matched it correcly and BTW the DELUXE Reverb has been used on more albums than ANY AMP in history next to the 57 CHAMP or DELUXE/

I would have mentioned the BLUES JR but it has been ruined for profit.

They;ve made it cheap offered so many models that ya never know which ones to get some are GUITAR CENTER models only...so I would stay away from the BLUES JR,. also they put in EL-34 or 84's

SO what happens with the amps I suggested for you

AS you turn it up it will get to a certain point that the TUBES SATURATE and automatically it beging to get gritty and the more voume you add the grittier it sounds but it in a good way NOT DISTORTION but a nice GROWL.....

Back in the day when we all used 100 watt MARSHALL"S or 4 Super Reverb tied together was due to the fact that most clubs had small PA;s and all that was micd was the drums n the vocals and the Guitar sound came from the STAGE today everything is mic;d so you can get away with a lower wattage amp this giving you better conrto=ol of your tone. TONE NOT VOLUME , volume can be gotten at the board TONE is the Guitar, amp and how you manipulate the strings.

Now if your style ss HARD ROCK,thrash rock etc... you may wanna condsider a SUPER REBERB at 50 watts or PEAVEY CLASSIC with 50 watts a GREAT AMP

The MARSHALLL HAZE available in a 15 watt head and for 299.00 you ca nget a cabinet w 4x10's. It is also available in a 40 watt COMBO but to much wattage.

I recently got limited editon CLASS 5 MARSHALL..... if you get this you'll LOVE it.

For under 399.99 and a few bucks for an upgraded transformer from MERCURY MAGNETICS ask for PAUL.... he can set ya up with a tranny to replace it and have the sound of a BLUESBREAKERR one of MARSHALL's BEST AMPS EVER

It will hve the GRITTY SOUND at 1 on the volume....IMO why sound gritty all the time, You paid good money for a GIBSON known for it's tone...USE IT, LOVE IT, EXPLORE IT

I have been playing for 45 years, been on 25 albums, many world tours and European tours and getting ready for a BLUES CRUISE now.

I would suggest taking YOUR guitar to a store and try each amp I just mentioned also check out the PEAVEY CLASSIC 30 and DELTA BLUES, long with AMPEG REVERB ROCKETS

HONSTLY no-one can tell you the right amp for you...ONLY YOU KNOW THAT ANSWER for ONLY YOU KNOW what you want from the amp.

The few I sugested should get ya on the right track. If ya go to a GC remember what ever itis advertised say 500.00 it can be bought for the high 300.00 low 400.00. SO HAGGLE and you'll get it.

If I can be of any help for you Please sendme a message and I'llbe happy to answer any questions you have.

ALso if you MUST use pedals to achieve your tone it is OVERSIZED AMP and not the right one, The right amp will break up when ya want.Pedals are just small synthesizers that screw our natural tone and waste ruin your sound ,,,you might as well have bought a EPI LESPAUL 100 for 350.00 and a solid state amp and a DISTORTION PEDAL.

On stage my pedal board is simple....a wah, VOODOO LABS SPARKLE DRIVE, FUZZ FACE and a SONIC MAXIMIZER....and I use P90;s for they are the longest running pup ever and still going strong and give you that Vintage sound but also a nice gritty sound when pushed.

When you message me I can sedn you someODF:s that willhelp you get the right amp for whaty you want !!!!!

TiLLTHEN I'LL AWAIT YOUR MESSAGE AND GOOD LUCK...TAKE YOUR TIME N GET WHAT YA WANT REMEMBER IF IT HAS TO BE AT 6 TO GET YOUR TONE CHANCES ARE YOU WON;T BE PLAYING IT AT HOME

St James.

PS.I APOLOGIZE FOR MY SPELLING i HAD EYE SURGERY AND CAN;t SEE TO WELL

PIC 1...A super reverb AND A twin reverb

PIC 2...orange tiny terro excellent amp 7 AND 15WTTSA ...make that grEat amp