Gibson Brands Forums

How can I tell?

IShootSharpStix

Sorry I should have been more specific. I have been looking at these guitars for about the last 2 months.

Prior to the most recent price change, GC, MF and others had been advertising R8,R9 and R0 VOS models for 3699.

In fact I can still see R8 and R0 models for that price at their PrivateReserve site.

Are those models any different from the VOS models I can find in my local Gibson authorized music store (that are priced about 2K higher)?

Perhaps a better question. Were there specific VOS models made for GC and could I easily spot them by any type of

serial number standard?

Thanks.

Sorry I should have been more specific. I have been looking at these guitars for about the last 2 months.

Prior to the most recent price change' date=' GC, MF and others had been advertising R8,R9 and R0 VOS models for 3699.

In fact I can still see R8 and R0 models for that price at their PrivateReserve site.

Are those models any different from the VOS models I can find in my local Gibson authorized music store (that are priced about 2K higher)?

Perhaps a better question. Were there specific VOS models made for GC and could I easily spot them by any type of

serial number standard?

Thanks.

[/quote']

you are talking about the GC exclusive 1960 Reissue (called a G0). this guitar is about the same price as an R8/R7. it has the same specs as the R0 except it has a plain top and tophat knobs vs the flame top and reflectors of the R0. i am not sure if it has double ring tuners like the R0. you can tell it is a G0 by all of these things and by the serial number: a 2008 R0 will say 0 8xxx, a GC exclusive serial will start with G0 xxxx.

So If I am looking at a 59 with a serial of 9 8xxx or 9 7xxxx I can be certain that it is not a GC model.

Would that be correct?

Thanks a bunch.

yes, the only GC exclusive is the plaintop '60 LP mentioned elsewhere. any '59s you are seeing there should be the same as ones you can get anywhere else.

Archived