Gibson Brands Forums

I am becoming technology illiterate

Gilliangirl

I can't get the blasted LR Baggs I-Mix to work on my guitar. I hate that thing with every fiber in my body. I'm going to sell it. Waaay too much trouble. Mono sounds crappy and can't even get stereo to work. Plus who wants to drag two cables around with them?

Today I bought the Zoom Q3HD. The device itself works great but uploading videos from the device to my computer is proving to be impossible. I have installed/uninstalled three times now. It doesn't work. I am beginning to think it's me. It never used to be me. I was pretty computer-savvy not so long ago. But everything is getting so complicated now. "If you have version one, it should launch automatically" It didn't. "If you have version two, don't click on such-and-such or it won't work" "If you stick your elbow in your eye it might work but we can't guarantee anything". Shouldn't these companies get their **** together before they market this stuff?

I guess I'm just in a foul mood after spending HOURS trying to get this crap to work, to no avail. [cursing] Sorry for the rant. [crying]

It isn't an age thing recording technology is just wicked tricky sometimes. I still can't get my Tascam track pack to play the recording through my headphones while it is recording and I am almost a year in now. I am not tech savvy per-say but I'm of the generation that has been on computers since before we could walk.

As for advice Jannus guy is dead on. frustration has two possible endings you step away from it or whatever is frustrating you gets broken.

I can't get the blasted LR Baggs I-Mix to work on my guitar. I hate that thing with every fiber in my body. I'm going to sell it. Waaay too much trouble. Mono sounds crappy and can't even get stereo to work. Plus who wants to drag two cables around with them?

Today I bought the Zoom Q3HD. The device itself works great but uploading videos from the device to my computer is proving to be impossible. I have installed/uninstalled three times now. It doesn't work. I am beginning to think it's me. It never used to be me. I was pretty computer-savvy not so long ago. But everything is getting so complicated now. "If you have version one, it should launch automatically" It didn't. "If you have version two, don't click on such-and-such or it won't work" "If you stick your elbow in your eye it might work but we can't guarantee anything". Shouldn't these companies get their **** together before they market this stuff?

I guess I'm just in a foul mood after spending HOURS trying to get this crap to work, to no avail. [cursing] Sorry for the rant. [crying]

I went through the same kind of thing when loading my Sony video software on to this awful newish p.c. I work on. After I had the software working, I found the videos I spent hours editing went to youtube in the original unedited format!!

So- Jannus's advice - glass of wine.

Then:

Push ole computer out to the front gate and leave it for some passerby delinquent to shoot/run over.

Then: go buy new iMac (great!). You plug in the video gadget and it works with mac software! Usually, maybe!!!

Or: get one of the forum experts to come and make your video for you; process it for you; let you know when it's done. Like Mick and Keith do...

Good luck - and when are we seeing some product?

Regards

BK

It isn't an age thing recording technology is just wicked tricky sometimes. I still can't get my Tascam track pack to play the recording through my headphones while it is recording and I am almost a year in now. I am not tech savvy per-say but I'm of the generation that has been on computers since before we could walk.

As for advice Jannus guy is dead on. frustration has two possible endings you step away from it or whatever is frustrating you gets broken.

BB, that makes me feel much better, knowing it's not just me. And you are so right about the 'gets broken' part. Stepping away is the right thing to do. And the safe thing to do. And the smart thing to do.

I went through the same kind of thing when loading my Sony video software on to this awful newish p.c. I work on. After I had the software working, I found the videos I spent hours editing went to youtube in the original unedited format!!

So- Jannus's advice - glass of wine.

Then:

Push ole computer out to the front gate and leave it for some passerby delinquent to shoot/run over.

Then: go buy new iMac (great!). You plug in the video gadget and it works with mac software! Usually, maybe!!!

Or: get one of the forum experts to come and make your video for you; process it for you; let you know when it's done. Like Mick and Keith do...

Good luck - and when are we seeing some product?

Regards

BK

BK, at this rate, NEVER! LOL

I've been working on it too long tonight anyway. It's exciting getting new stuff but when it doesn't go well, in a reasonable amount of time, it's just not fun anymore. [bored] :angry:

I feel your pain.....sad.gif

Know exactly how you feel - At times it's just as if the pc-product developers are so clever they end up like complicated bricks.

In sheer solidarity I have poured a glass of red. Chinchin, , , as they say in France - or is it Italy. . .

Man, I can relate to this topic. I think part of the difficulty is that each manufacturer does things their own way, using their own conventions, so there's very little knowledge transfer from system to system. Also, most manufacturers are so paranoid that they build in "safeguards" that just make using their equipment impossible. Sony was really bad about this at one time. They still may be but I just never buy their products anymore. The other thing I hate is devices that decide for you how everything should be arranged and operated and make it nearly impossible to tailor important functions. It seems now that every device gives you a zillion choices of themes and color schemes (who cares) but makes it nearly impossible to tailor operational preferences. I guess this is a sure sign that I'm getting old.

Know exactly how you feel - At times it's just as if the pc-product developers are so clever they end up like complicated bricks.

In sheer solidarity I have poured a glass of red. Chinchin, , , as they say in France - or is it Italy. . .

LOL Thank you for the support Em7! I don't know if chinchin is Italian or French. I only remember Dean Martin hoisting a glass of something one day and someone saying 'skoal'. Dean's reply: "Of course it's skoal, it's got ice in it"

Station yourself at the nearest bus stop after school lets out. Ask he first 13 year old if you can hire him to install your software. He'll probably do it for pizza.

Tommy isn't that the truth. I've turned into my mom, who never understood 'new math'. [biggrin]

Man, I can relate to this topic. I think part of the difficulty is that each manufacturer does things their own way, using their own conventions, so there's very little knowledge transfer from system to system. Also, most manufacturers are so paranoid that they build in "safeguards" that just make using their equipment impossible. Sony was really bad about this at one time. They still may be but I just never buy their products anymore. The other thing I hate is devices that decide for you how everything should be arranged and operated and make it nearly impossible to tailor important functions. It seems now that every device gives you a zillion choices of themes and color schemes (who cares) but makes it nearly impossible to tailor operational preferences. I guess this is a sure sign that I'm getting old.

That is so true! And who cares about skins and themes, etc. Just give me the basics, and how to operate the basics, which is why I bought the product in the first place.

This whole topic reminds me of that Onion News Network video about the new product that everyone has to have. WARNING: explicit language (hopefully this doesn't get deleted by the mods, but if it does, go to YouTube and search for 'the onion, sony, piece of' and you'll get it.

I did finally get the Zoom software (or now they call it firmware) to work. I had to uninstall it a few times and play with it, but it is now working. Whew! Thre only problem I still have is my computer won't read a 4GB SD card that I have in one of my drives, but I'm thinking that might be because the 4GB overrides the capacity of that drive? Don't know, but I guess I'll just stick to 2GB SD cards.

I did finally get the Zoom software (or now they call it firmware) to work. I had to uninstall it a few times and play with it, but it is now working. Whew! Thre only problem I still have is my computer won't read a 4GB SD card that I have in one of my drives, but I'm thinking that might be because the 4GB overrides the capacity of that drive? Don't know, but I guess I'll just stick to 2GB SD cards.

I have no idea what this all means.

I don't have anything like that or need to know. I just thought you might like to know I have no idea what you are talking about, which is an indication you have reached the next level of technology.

I have no idea what this all means.

I don't have anything like that or need to know. I just thought you might like to know I have no idea what you are talking about, which is an indication you have reached the next level of technology.

ROFL!! [lol]

Thanks Stein (btw, still haven't heard any more about the roofing bill..... weird)

May times niche market software issues is caused by MicroSquish upgrading their software, you install the updated MicroSquish, then the non-MicroSquish software won't work or won't install. Some say it is by MicroSquish design. Some say otherwise.

Is the software you tried to install on CD or off the 'net?

On a (very slight) tangent:

At a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated, "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release stating: If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics (and I just love this part):

1. For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.

2. Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.

3. Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason you would simply accept this.

4. Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.

5. Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive - but would run on only five percent of the roads.

6. The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "This Car Has Performed An Illegal Operation" warning light.

7. The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.

8. Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.

9. Every time a new car was introduced car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.

10. You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.

Not new, nor can I take ant credit for it, but (speaking as someone who works in IT) I just love it, and so want it to be true.

Karen -- It's been a lousy day and I needed a good laugh. That video certainly delivered!

Bob, sometimes laughter's the best medicine. I hope today is a better day for you. I can relate to lousy days, being a social worker :rolleyes:

Archived