Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson black finish

BluesKing777

The other half, when in her cups, says when I'm strumming 'why don't you get a black guitar?'

I reply, while busy strumming 'blah, blah, blah finish too thick doesn't sound blah, blah.'

One time I was quick enough to say 'you buy it for me, then.'

She mumbled 'yeah' (I think it was 'yeah'.)

Looky what I see:

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/8571/Gibson-J-200-Standard-Custom-Ebony-Finish/

and:

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/8573/Gibson-Southern-Jumbo-Ebony/

and a black Hummingbird somwhere else...

Regards and a good Easter to all.

BK.

I actually like black finish on guitars....HOWEVER.....those darn things show EVERY fingerprint and smudge, and are a pain to keep clean....but do-able....just a hassle

The other half, when in her cups, says when I'm strumming 'why don't you get a black guitar?'

I reply, while busy strumming 'blah, blah, blah finish too thick doesn't sound blah, blah.'

One time I was quick enough to say 'you buy it for me, then.'

She mumbled 'yeah' (I think it was 'yeah'.)

Looky what I see:

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/8571/Gibson-J-200-Standard-Custom-Ebony-Finish/

and:

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/8573/Gibson-Southern-Jumbo-Ebony/

and a black Hummingbird somwhere else...

Regards and a good Easter to all.

BK.

I wouldn't go for a black acoustic, but if I was to buy another electric (which might happen), it had to be a black satin 335.

My old full-band stage acoustic was a black Yairi, so I've been there. It had no sound-hole and instead I made the luthier cut a spades-shaped mirror in the same size, which was glued on behind the strings. By that I sometimes could reflect the spots and send coloured rays of light back at the audience. A delicate way to flirt with the girls or outblind the skeptical type of guys while jiving. ..

(To: BluesKing777:)

I have a Black Gibson Custom Shop "ES-355" in Mono (no Varitone switch) with a stop tail piece (no Bigsby), an Ebony fretboard, Gold hardware, and white "Tulip-button" tuners.

With its Pearl block position markers and the "Split Diamond" headstock inlay, it's about as impressive an "ES-Series" Gibson as I've ever seen... and yes, it helps to keep the fingerprints polished off the top, but that's well worth the effort.

That Black "J-200" in the ad that you posted the link to was especially stunning. Good thing for me it wasn't a "True Vintage" Series guitar. That would have been almost irresistible, and a Bozeman special-order Black "SJ-200 True Vintage" with an Ebony fretboard?.... Well..., I don't even want to think about it... Black Gibson guitars are really special.

Jack6849

..... a Bozeman special-order [black] "SJ-200 True Vintage" with an Ebony fretboard?.... Well..., I don't even want to think about it... Black Gibson guitars are really special. .....

+1

Jack, I'd love to see a pic of yer CS ES-355. Sounds gorgeous. B)

BigKahune:

I went back and edited the word "Black" into my description of the ("Black") Custom Shop "SJ-200 True Vintage" (with an Ebony fretboard) that I'm now trying very hard not to even think about ordering from Bozeman, so thanks for your helpful clarification.

I don't seem to have an individual photo of my Custom Shop Black "ES-355" right now, but I'll try to take one soon and see if I can figure out how to post it here. (It usually takes me a few minutes to recall the posting procedure...) Thanks for the interest. It is a very beautiful guitar.

I didn't mention it, but my Custom Shop "ES-355" also has "Vintage '50s-style" gold knobs, (which I've always preferred to the "355" Model's stock black ones). Perhaps an unusual selection for an "ES-355" (especially one finished in Black), but to me it gives the guitar a very "classic" Gibson look. Custom Shop Gibsons have unlimited possibilities for dreamers, wherever their tastes may lead them. Let's not talk about it... I'm weakening.... and I already have one "SJ-200 True Vintage" acoustic.... (of course, that one has the "Vintage Sunburst" finish. A "Black" one would be a completely different thing.... right?? .... I mean.... right??...)

Jack6849

A few days ago on network tv - "Girls Night Out" had a bevy of C&W females on. One, can't remember which, had beautiful black Hummingbird. I guess that I sort of view painting a Hummingbird black as something between a novelty and a sacrilege.

BigKahune:

Both the "SJ-200 True Vintage" and the Custom Shop "J-200 Jr." in the picture have Adirondack Spruce (Picea rubens) tops. Nice of you to notice.

Also, Gibson's original "J-200 Jr." didn't really have a bound headstock or fretboard, but I ordered that Custom Shop version and paid upcharges for the Adirondack Spruce top, the flamey Maple sides and back, and that extra binding. Sort of makes it look like a "miniature" version of my "SJ-200 True Vintage"... (At least that's what I was shooting for when I placed the special-order.)

Both those Adirondack-topped acoustics sound really great. So great, in fact, that when the "Jackson Browne Signature" was recently released, I bought the non-electrified ("Model 1") version of that design also. While it has an Adirondack top, tonally, that guitar is in a unique class of its own. A finger-picker's dream come true.

Gibson's advertisements for the model called the "Jackson Browne Signature" the "grand piano of acoustic guitars". Until I played one, I figured they were, well... to be polite... exaggerating. Turns out they weren't. I've never had an acoustic guitar that played as easily, or one that got as many compliments from listeners, both musicians and "laypersons".

Gibson is obviously capable of producing some truly amazing guitars these days, both electrics and acoustics. I have some great ones. (Including a new "Eric Clapton 1960 Les Paul Standard" that is beyond description. Serial # EC 020)

Thanks for setting me off... "discussing guitars" is always a guaranteed good time for me.

Jack6849

Jack -

Yes. . . . Glad to get you going.

I was wondering what exactly the other SJ-200 was - I was thinking maybe a Jr, but then the angle of the photo made me think I was being fooled about the size.

Very fine and interesting collection you've got.

Loved reading about it. [thumbup]

That's okay G

Not everyone can handle the bad a$ and very cool vibe of a black guitar - top, sides, back, neck and headstock - acoustic or electric. . . [flapper]

Johnny Cash always comes to mind ........But he could certainly pull it off.msp_thumbup.gif

Me.... "Not so much"

Archived