Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite band from when you were twelve?

Shnate McDuanus

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was 12 in 1958, not a lot of "bands" back then. Doo-Wop groups, a few "teen idols", so around that time I was more interested in classical and jazz. Rock was just starting. I never cared much for Elvis but always liked Cash and Ray Charles but radio in central California back then didn't play a lot of that. It was even hard to find any Folk music. Surf music started showing up around '62 and in '64 the Beatles arrived and the age of "bands" began.

From 10 to 12 it was all about the Beatles...THEN Jimi came into my life along with Jeff and it really started to change my style a bit. THEN my older brother took me to see Van Halen in late 1976 at the Santa Monica Civic, and that was the biggest change in my guitar life....

hmmm that was only 5 years ago but I'm not sure if it was:

Zeppelin:

(quite ironic how i used to love Immigrant Song so much, and now it just sounds like garbage to me... I've discovered the rest of Zeppelin's music and immigrant song sucks compared to just about every other Zeppelin song [biggrin] )

or it might have been,

AC/DC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fSEjlLQcRY

Got to thinking a bit more on this...

I had a huge old console radio with an antenna stretched out to a tree, so I got all kinds of am radio - there wasn't much fm in those days.

Anyway, I remember hearing John Lee Hooker circa age 12. That made a big impression. It was a piece on the great flood at Tupelo.

But Grampa really nailed it. There were a lotta "name" folks, but even though Chuck Berry had stuff charted, it was as "Chuck Berry," not a band name. I dunno if you count the Everly Brothers as a band... Buddy Holly had the Crickets, but it was Buddy Holly that everybody thought of, the band was kinda irrelevant.

m

Well then, for those who grew up in the "name" or "soloist" era...let's just say "favorite act" or "favorite artist" from when you were twelve.

And trust me, I meant age 12 to be completely arbitrary. It's just that I figure that that was, for me, pretty much the time when I first started to really get into music instead of just whatever was on the radio or whatever mom and dad played in the car.

Got to thinking a bit more on this...

I had a huge old console radio with an antenna stretched out to a tree, so I got all kinds of am radio - there wasn't much fm in those days.

Anyway, I remember hearing John Lee Hooker circa age 12. That made a big impression. It was a piece on the great flood at Tupelo.

But Grampa really nailed it. There were a lotta "name" folks, but even though Chuck Berry had stuff charted, it was as "Chuck Berry," not a band name. I dunno if you count the Everly Brothers as a band... Buddy Holly had the Crickets, but it was Buddy Holly that everybody thought of, the band was kinda irrelevant.

m

Well, given what you've said, then I'd have to say The Beach Boys and Kingsmen! All the others, that I liked, even "blues" guys, were "front" players, with back-up bands, as was the "norm" most often, Way Back Then! LOL And yeah, even the Everly Brothers, were a Duet, and not a "band," per se. Kind of the Simon & Garfunkle, of their day.

So...???

CB

Archived