Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite band from when you were twelve?

Shnate McDuanus

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12 was a long time ago.

I think I performed "John Barleycorn Must Die" in a "Gifted" class around then...

But I was really mesmerized by the Cream "Goodbye" album. "Sitting on Top of The World" was a powerful piece in my mind then.

That, and everything Beatles.

The young guys will laugh at this one, but at 12 I also was putting a motorcycle battery onto my big old bicycle so it could drive a tube AM car radio set on the handlebars. The speaker was below the handlebars.

That's before transistors and ICs, so... I got to listen to radio on the bike anyway, and Dad's car/motorcycle shop had a big charge so I could keep the battery charged.

For extra summer cash Marvin Johnson and I would pick up pop bottles at the ball field and turn them in at 2 cents each. But a Hershey bar and a bottle of Coke were only 5 cents each at the time, too. We'd pick up one of each, then head to the graveyard hillside to roll ciggies of Prince Albert tobacco and talk about the girls at school and how we'd mod such cars as a '50 flathead Ford or a '53 Plymouth straight six.

m

The young guys will laugh at this one, but at 12 I also was putting a motorcycle battery onto my big old bicycle so it could drive a tube AM car radio set on the handlebars. The speaker was below the handlebars.

That's before transistors and ICs, so... I got to listen to radio on the bike anyway, and Dad's car/motorcycle shop had a big charge so I could keep the battery charged.

For extra summer cash Marvin Johnson and I would pick up pop bottles at the ball field and turn them in at 2 cents each. But a Hershey bar and a bottle of Coke were only 5 cents each at the time, too. We'd pick up one of each, then head to the graveyard hillside to roll ciggies of Prince Albert tobacco and talk about the girls at school and how we'd mod such cars as a '50 flathead Ford or a '53 Plymouth straight six.

m

Sounds like, you must have been the Rube Goldberg, of your neighborhood, back then, Milod! Good show! :>)

CB

m

Ha!

We used to swim in the canals that irrigated the orange groves - there was a sump (about 15' deep, as I recall) where we could find pop bottles (2 cents from the small ones, 4 for quart-size) that we would turn into candy at the local grocery.

I never did the Prince Albert thing - we just used to lift the Parliaments from the old man's carton he kept on the workbench.

It's a wonder... never mind.

I was 12 in 1958, not a lot of "bands" back then. It was even hard to find any Folk music. Surf music started showing up around '62 and in '64 the Beatles arrived and the age of "bands" began.

I was 12 in 1960. I can remember the first 45s I bought were MTA by the Kingston Trio and Bim-bom-bay by Jimmy Rogers (at least I think I remember). I wasn't much of an Elvis fan back then either. I agree, the Beatles and the Beach Boys got me started on rock and roll.

1991-1992 Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

Images that are permanently stored in my head

- Hearing the song on the radio on my way home from basketball practice. We get home about halfway through the song and I get my mom to let me stay in the guitar to hear the rest of the song. When she gets out I crank the volume all the way up. Lucky the speakers didn't blow

- The song coming on at a school dance and my group of friends "headbanging" to it. Until some teacher or administrator told the DJ to turn off the song and warn us that they wouldn't play it as long as we danced violently.

Well at 12 I asked for a stereo for Christmas and discovered a whole new world of FM bands. It was 1972 and they played songs by bands I'd heard of but they didn't play the AM hits. These were strange heavier songs. Album tracks by Hendrix, Cream, Allmans and the Stones. It certainly opened up a whole new world for me but my favorite band from the age of 4 until today is, was and always will be...

The Beatles.

Archived