Gibson Brands Forums

Tonerite?? Or ToneWRONG??

Acousticologist

I know what you're thinking: not AGAIN!!!!

I just bought myself a Tonerite 3G..

I've read HUNDREDS of comments and opinions on these.

Just want to know: is there a definite answer on whether this thing works as it says, or not??

Or is beauty in the eye of the beholder -, and each to his own???

Just want to know: is there a definite answer on whether this thing works as it says, or not??

Too many variables across the people and guitars who report on the thing. I have used

one and my definitive opinion is... use your own ears and decide for yourself!

There's really no sense in seeking more opinions. There's been plenty of threads on the subject and arguments both ways on this forum. Having been here for most of them, it appears to me that some really like it, some think it's okay and some think it's bunk. In other words - no definitive answer.

My take - - If you've got the loot to throw down, get one and see what you think.

I tried one on one of my handbuilt guitars that I had just received from the builder that week and I noticed a big change for the better, the guitar was litterally a few days old. Also I used it on a guitar that I bought that had been stored in a case for over 10 years and not played and once again I noticed a big change for the better. I think it does what it says it does. That being said I don't own one and I didn't put one on my new 2011 J-200 Custom, I've been playing it too much too put a tonerite on it for now.

I know what you're thinking: not AGAIN!!!!

I just bought myself a Tonerite 3G..

I've read HUNDREDS of comments and opinions on these.

Or is beauty in the eye of the beholder -, and each to his own???

It probably works if you expect it to work. There is lots of anecdotal evidence that it works but I have yet to see any data from a controlled experiment. There was a guy on AGF that was renting one for $10/week plus shipping. That would be the way to go in my opinion, rather than spending $150.

I made fun of this for a long time, then got one. I find that there is some very good improvement on ROSEWOOD guitars.....Mahogany not so much. If your guitar is ALL mahogany, I didn't see ANY improvement. Works on flat tops AND Archtops....I like it...and give my guitars an "overnight" once in a while, especially after I change strings.....Eric Schoenberg uses them on all his vintage guitars in his shop, claims the "waken" the old ones....I like it....warm up a guitar before playing....or give it the three day treatment.....go for it!!

It W O R K S.

I have one since one year. I used on my M-R GIBS (SJ 200), also on my "GALE" - a cedar/rosewood master luthier guitar, and also on the guitars of some of my friends. This device improved the tone of all the guitars. Even ot the laminates. I don't regret that I gave the money for this - this is just a wonderful small tone-opening mashine.

Buy it.

Never used one. I will say that there was always the 'belief' that you could place your acoustical instument in front of a stereo loudspeaker(large one) with music on fairly loud for several hours to up to 2 or 3 days and the instrument would 'open up'.

Sounds like the same theory....moving the top so as to open up the projection.

There is no doubt that an 'instrument played' is going to sound better than instrument 'at rest'....

My ears are not perceptive enuff to tell the difference. Seniority DOES have its 'benefits'.... :rolleyes:

It W O R K S.

Did you pay full price?

I'm only half joking.

I've heard some say that it works on some of their guitars, and not so much on others.

Some people buy $500 power cords, too.

I wish there was a definitive answer.

I wonder if Woody or Johnny or (whoever) used such a thing?

Wouldn't we all like our stuff to sound better?

I think so.

[wink][glare][glare][glare]

Did you pay full price?

I'm only half joking.

I've heard some say that it works on some of their guitars, and not so much on others.

Some people buy $500 power cords, too.

I wish there was a definitive answer.

I wonder if Woody or Johnny or (whoever) used such a thing?

Wouldn't we all like our stuff to sound better?

I think so.

The deeper the pockets....The better this **** works!!!....

Tonerite worked on my Epiphone EL00 - had some shrill tones smoothed out after treatment. Needed the full 1 week treatment.

Didn't work on a Martin X series dread.

Smoothed out my Blues King a bit. Didn't need it on my 000-15 Martin hog.

Didn't need it on my 2010 J45 - beautiful tone straight from the Gibson shop!!!

Didn't bother with my old metal dobro.

Regards BK.

Tonerite worked on my Epiphone EL00 - had some shrill tones smoothed out after treatment. Needed the full 1 week treatment.

Didn't work on a Martin X series dread.

Smoothed out my Blues King a bit. Didn't need it on my 000-15 Martin hog.

Didn't need it on my 2010 J45 - beautiful tone straight from the Gibson shop!!!

Didn't bother with my old metal dobro.

Regards BK.

Oooooh, I never even thought of trying it on the Epiphone. I'm going to do that tonight!

I love mine and, yes, it works. [biggrin]

Putting your guitar against a loudspeaker will not make the guitar vibrate like the Tonerite does.

I payed around 180USD (internet purchase). As I know I have the only one device in my country, but here people don't play much acoustic guitar and I have also the only Gibson SJ 200 in the country.

And about the "deep pokets" - well, I'd like to make onother paralel: explayning the action of the Tonerite and the results to a person who never had it is like trying to explayn how someone feels during a parashute jump. I have made parashute jumps in the past and I know the feeling, but those of you who never did this doesn't have a chance to have the real feelings.

Or, with other words: talking about making music is not making music.

Once again I say: if someone wants to know the action and the results of the Tonerite, he/she must try this on his/her own guitar/s.[biggrin]

The ToneRite works, but don't expect it to turn a plywood Esteban into a pre-war J-45 or D-28. That's just not what it does.

I've got one and tried it on the three acoustics I have: a '98 J-45, an Epiphone IB'64 Texan that I bought last year, and a kit-built guitar with D-18 specs that I commissioned back in '05. Each seemed to respond differently, and I consider all the responses to be positive changes in the guitar.

The Epiphone saw the biggest change, which I might expect since it was the newest of the three and had been played a lot less. It warmed up and improved the tone, and added a bit of volume as well. It was a definite, audible improvement. That said, when I later had the thickness of the guitar's poly finish sanded down, the tone improved even more. Of the two operations -- ToneRite and the sanding of the finish -- I think the latter made the biggest difference, but it might have made a big difference because the ToneRite had already "opened" the guitar up.

The kit-built guitar was already a tone and volume monster, just as it should be. The ToneRite didn't do much for the tone, but I did notice a bit of added volume.

The J-45 probably saw the least change. There was a bit more "sparkle" added to the sound, but not a lot and I doubt anyone unfamiliar with the guitar beforehand would notice the difference afterwards. I did. I wasn't expecting much of a change because the guitar is older and has been played a lot.

I recently loaned the ToneRite to a co-worker who wanted to see if it would do anything to a new National reso he bought. I told him beforehand that I was doubtful he'd see much change in a metal-bodied instrument. But he wanted to see if it would help break in the cone, something I'd not thought of. Since I loaned it to him for free (he's done favors for me over the years) and he has no financial investment in the device, he was free to call it crap if he wanted. Here is what he wrote to me later:

The ToneRite has made a distinct and positive improvement on my National after a 3+ day massage. No question about it, the response from the cone is more relaxed. I hear it in the sustain between strings...the notes seem to overlap in a transparent and harmonic way that is pleasing to my ear. The guitar REALLY does sound and feel more "played in". Truth in advertising? Who woulda thunk it?

After seeing Benedetto's endorsement saying "After 5 days I could hear a magical vintage sound emerge...." I'm into the day 3+ on my archtop and, yes, its happening. The archtop change is slower and more subtle at this point, but it feels like I'm hearing the sound/tone emerge more from the body and less from simple string vibration. Make sense?

I made fun of this for a long time, then got one. I find that there is some very good improvement on ROSEWOOD guitars.....Mahogany not so much. If your guitar is ALL mahogany, I didn't see ANY improvement. Works on flat tops AND Archtops....I like it...and give my guitars an "overnight" once in a while, especially after I change strings.....Eric Schoenberg uses them on all his vintage guitars in his shop, claims the "waken" the old ones....I like it....warm up a guitar before playing....or give it the three day treatment.....go for it!!

OWF...I disagree with you on the TR not working on Mahogany! I used the TR on my all hog Martin 00-15S and it did improve the sound.

What I usually do it is put the TR on my guitar the day before I change strings. I just let it run about 24 hours then change the strings. I do this because I find that the TR completely kills the strings and causes them to go dead. Talk about feeling like I have a new guitar.....TR+new strings just make my guitars sing!

I do believe the TR works and sometimes doesn't work completely differently on a guitar to guitar basis...and I don't think you can predict. Too many variable from guitar to guitar to make any blanket statements.

It's kind of amazing how attitudes have changed about the tonerite. A few years ago on this board the topic came up and most pooh-poohed the idea. Really mocked the very notion and there was one guy who rode off in a huff because of how unreceptive board members were to his experiment with tonerite... Now many of those same folks swear by them [rolleyes] . I never did get one. I have a tendency to beat the crap out of my guitars anyway so it probably doesn't make much difference.

i don't doubt that it changes the tone... perhaps even for the better.... but nothing replaces real playing. the body will resonate at frequencies it is used to. i tune my guitars down 1/2 step. when i tune up, you can hear the string resonate differently when it hit the right note. it has learned how i tune.

so, the tonerite works.... but not the same as real playing. real playing will always give better results.

Archived