Gibson Brands Forums

Dave Brubeck Quartet

dem00n

Bill Evans was one of my stepdad's heroes. Check out his stuff, esp. the album "Sunday at the Village Vanguard."

Bill Evans is one of my favorites, too, but probably a little too "piano bar" for many here.

dem00n, if you like Miles Davis, you should read his autobiography and listen to his stuff as you get thru it. I learned to love Bird by reading Miles' book, Miles. My favorite jazz artist is Wayne Shorter, and with him and Miles, I prefer their later stuff.

Wow I must be the odd man out for being perhaps the only one who doesn't care for Miles Davis. Oh well.

A lot of greats already mentioned - one was mentioned but almost under the radar - Thelonius Monk.

I like more newer jazz players so they are probably not in the same category but you may want to check out Russel Malone and Grant Geissman.

Wow I must be the odd man out for being perhaps the only one who doesn't care for Miles Davis. Oh well.

A lot of greats already mentioned - one was mentioned but almost under the radar - Thelonius Monk.

I like more newer jazz players so they are probably not in the same category but you may want to check out Russel Malone and Grant Geissman.

Funny you should mention Geissman. I did a post on him last Saturday...

Bebop as a style is a little hard for most people to digest. Artists like Dizzy Gillespie, Bird Parker, T. Monk, Miles Davis, et. al. are, no doubt virtuosos, but the style and rhythms are complex, the notes come faster, and the music is more cerebral in that it takes an understanding of theory and chord structure to fully appreciate. The modal jazz of Miles Davis and Bill Evans encompassed melodic phrases that are much more aesthetically pleasing to me.

I love "Time Out" and "Blue Rondo Ala Turk" is my favorite cut on the album.

My first recommendation would be "Time Further Out", also by the Dave Brubeck Quartet.

If you like Desmond's alto sax playing, I would also recommend tenor players Lester Young and Stan Getz.

As far as Gets is concerned, "Jazz Samba" (with Charlie Bird on Guitar), "Jazz Samba Encore" (with Luis Bonfa on guitar), and a couple of later 'cool school' albums, "Pure Getz" and "The Dolphin".

BTW, Desmond and Getz are my two favorite cool school sax players.

If you like Bebop, I'd of course recommend Charlie Parker and add Richie Cole to that.

Notes ♫

Time Out is one of my all time favourite albums, nice to see that so many people like it! I went along thinking the title track was in 4/4 for quite some time, but then it hit me one day (when I learned how to play it on the drums) that it's actually in 5/4, and it became a whole new song...

I'll be looking into what other recommendations you guys posted in this thread, seems to be worthwile [thumbup]

Back in the 50s and 60s Ruby Braff trumpet took the direction I personally rather like of pretty straight jazz variations of standards - a couple of different players on vibes and guitarists such as unknowns <grin> Barney Kessel and Mundell Lowe...

Alas my one 60s record of Braff, Lowe, etc., was destroyed in a fire around 1970.

I never much cared for odd time signatures myself, and even as a kid liked standards with various improvs on top. So... even at 14 or so I was considered an old stick in the mud. But in those days if you played trumpet and admitted you liked Armstrong or Harry James you automatically were "out."

Some of the early trio stuff with Julie London singing, one album with Kessel, one with Herb Ellis as I recall. Kessel's simple guitar backing was far more than the notes in "Cry me a river."

Back in those pre-folkie days of mine I used to say I loved fat chords and skinny women. I really was young, once upon a time.

m

Yes Milod, Kessel on Cry me a River + n! Funny how he could turn up the speed for Charlie Parker and Lester Young though. Jammin' the Blues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1EYOdIr-HE

Archived