Gibson Brands Forums

Be strill my heart...

Lungimsam

What kinda basses do you like the sound of?

To be fair, the EB-3 sounded OK (kind of like a bass) at low volume, with a clean amp.

In the mid '70s, that combination just never seemed to come up much when playing live. Maybe today, with DI's and PA's that can do the job, it might be different.

Otherwise, at volume, it sounded muddy and farty through some otherwise nice tube amps.

I like a bass that kinda sounds like piano strings, Clean, bright, with definition. I traded that EB-3 for a Kramer fretless with an aluminum neck. Night and Day.

There's lots of basses today that fit the bill, 'specially with modern amps that can kick that out at volume.

I played a long time ago, with sucky amps that mostly couldn't keep up, when PA systems were nothing more than simple amps for microphones.

I get all that.

I still don't miss the EB-3, as they guys with the same amps (and other difficulties in the day) that had the Jazz basses sounded SO much better.

I know that there are different stroke for different folks, but there it is for me.

I hear you Riverside.

I like Fender Precision Basses the best. I just love my PBasses. But I am a PBass kinda guy.

I like my SG Bass so far. It plays great and looks great. But the sound isn't as nice as a Pbass. Totally different than a Pbass. But neat in its own right. Can pull out some cool sounds that I haven't discovered on my Pbasses. It sounds like a keyboard when I play high notes right over the bridge pup. I usually play over the fingerboard for nice full tone. But the SG bass has a pinched, nasally tone compared to the full round tone of the PBass.

I hear you Riverside.

I like Fender Precision Basses the best. I just love my PBasses. But I am a PBass kinda guy.

I like my SG Bass so far. It plays great and looks great. But the sound isn't as nice as a Pbass. Totally different than a Pbass. But neat in its own right. Can pull out some cool sounds that I haven't discovered on my Pbasses. It sounds like a keyboard when I play high notes right over the bridge pup. I usually play over the fingerboard for nice full tone. But the SG bass has a pinched, nasally tone compared to the full round tone of the PBass.

I'd be the first one to stand up and testify about how good that EB-3 looked...

That's a nice looking EB3. I had an Epi EB0 and really liked the short scale. However, I really like the low B string and recently got a Fender Deluxe 5 string in ash. Using the same amp, there's obviously a huge difference in sound between the basses. I think it depends on the type of music you play.

IMO; Gibson makes the nicest guitars; Fender makes the best basses. Having said that, I would like to get an EB2 hollowbody! I've addressed the possibility of a reissue of an EB2 in the past; I think it would be an awesome bass that would sell well.

Unfortunately I think Gibson is spending too much of their time and efforts working on new guitars; like the latest 7 string "V".

I went back to a long scale Fender Jazz. The balance is better, and unlimited string combinations for the long scale. Gibson just seems to do more on the 6 stringers.

Having said that, I would like to get an EB2 hollowbody! I've addressed the possibility of a reissue of an EB2 in the past; I think it would be an awesome bass that would sell well.

You get no arguments from me about this.

To be fair, the EB-3 sounded OK (kind of like a bass) at low volume, with a clean amp.

In the mid '70s, that combination just never seemed to come up much when playing live. Maybe today, with DI's and PA's that can do the job, it might be different.

Otherwise, at volume, it sounded muddy and farty through some otherwise nice tube amps.

I like a bass that kinda sounds like piano strings, Clean, bright, with definition. I traded that EB-3 for a Kramer fretless with an aluminum neck. Night and Day.

There's lots of basses today that fit the bill, 'specially with modern amps that can kick that out at volume.

I played a long time ago, with sucky amps that mostly couldn't keep up, when PA systems were nothing more than simple amps for microphones.

I get all that.

I still don't miss the EB-3, as they guys with the same amps (and other difficulties in the day) that had the Jazz basses sounded SO much better.

I know that there are different stroke for different folks, but there it is for me.

I have to agree with you. In the '60s & '70s, I often tried Gibson basses in music stores and always came away with the same impression - great looking but muddy and undefined sounding. I used a Jazz bass for years, and then a Ric through the 70's. I had a Ampeg "Flip-Top" in the late '60s, and then Traynor and Sunn tube amps in the '70s with 15" speakers that probably didn't reproduce much high end anyway. Now I use cabs with crossovers and horns in them, and I can't imagine going back to the "good old days" of woof.

With the equipment I use today, I much prefer the sound of my Gibsons to the sound of my Fenders. I can pretty much get my Gibsons to sound like a Fender, but I can't get my Fenders to sound like a Gibson. Like you say - "different strokes".

I'm running an Am. Std. Jazz through a Marshall MB4410 that has a sound that is incredible. I used the Traynors, and the Sunns also. I'll go with this combination hands down.

I use a Boss GT-6B board in front of a Mark Bass SD-800 head, and run it through an Ampeg Pro series 15 and a Carvin 2X10 cab. In smaller rooms I usually use an Ampeg 4X10 cab. I almost always play my Les Paul or Double-Cut, and I'll use the Fender Mexi Deluxe P for at least 1 set. They're all different but great sounding basses.

Archived