Gibson Brands Forums

Explorer Knobs

ne14t?

Ok so on the Explorer there is two volume knobs and a master tone knob, I have noticed that when I drop the volume on one pickup to zero it cuts both pickups out regardless, so I was thinking about rewiring the knobs to a master volume and individual tone, has anyone here done this with there guitar and was the outcome good or unnoticeable?

THere's a short between the volume pots, or another wiring fault. Get a tech to look into it.

You do not need to change the function unless you really want to.

Or try guitarwiring.blogspot.com, as he makes great diagrams....

Yeah I found some schematics on the Seymour Duncan web page, in the long run I do want to change it over to individual tone and master volume, I play with the volume cranked on the guitar anyways much rather have a bit more flexibility in tone, I ams a tones chaser!

• 3 months later...

I tried it once and went back to 2 vol, 1 tone.

I have a V, Explorer and 2 Hamers with 2 Vol 1 tone, most of which have been coil tapped (tone is push/push). Its the most usable setup for me.

Your needs will be different. Nothing of this is irreversible. Good luck.

I have an Explorer and I noticed that the top volume is for the neck and the middle one for the bridge.

But if you leave the switch in the middle the top knob acts as the master?

is this correct?

thx,

C

Yes with the pickup selector in the middle position when you turn down one knob all the way to nothing it will cut out both pickups completely. I was letting my buddy rip it up on my rig this weekend and he preferred playing on the bridge PUP only using the pickup selector as a kill switch.

Archived