Gibson Brands Forums

Question for Masterbilt Owners

SC_Wannabe

I have a Masterbilt AJ-500M and noticed that the saddle is tilted back towards the bridge pins. I asked about this on another board and was told that some high end guitars are designed this way. I'd like to hear from other Masterbilt owners if their saddle is tilted towards the pins. I've added a pic so you can see exactly what I mean. Thanks.

saddle.jpg

No Sir .. my 2 year old DR-500RNS bridge saddle is mounted straight up. So is my EPI 12-String. I've had Martins and Taylors in my history and have never seen that or heard someone say some 'high-end' instruments are like that. Intonation could be affected with that. Possibly, it's a factory defect. Call the Gibson Customer Service number and point them to this photo of yours. Who knows... everything is so upside down in our world today, maybe that's the way that model is made. Personally, I would NOT accept it.

My AJ500 MEVS has a B Compensated saddle that sits straight up.

I suspect your saddle is not seated properly or has been tampered with.

Easy fix, pull it out. Check for a spacer underneath, re-seat or replace it with another bone saddle.

Thanks for the replies. The saddle slot is routed at an angle (including the bottom), so there is no other way for a saddle to fit into the slot. I checked the intonation of each string, and they all read true at the 12th fret harmonic (the low E was a bit flat). This was with my Korg tuner, however accurate that is. Fretted intonation seems to be acceptable up the neck as well. I bluezguy's advice and sent an email to Gibson customer service tonight.

Thanks for the replies. The saddle slot is routed at an angle (including the bottom), so there is no other way for a saddle to fit into the slot. I checked the intonation of each string, and they all read true at the 12th fret harmonic (the low E was a bit flat). This was with my Korg tuner, however accurate that is. Fretted intonation seems to be acceptable up the neck as well. I bluezguy's advice and sent an email to Gibson customer service tonight.

Now that I think of it, I recall some folks having problems with their bridges rising.

Maybe this reverse slant was a solution for relieving tension.

Let us know what you find out from Customer Service.

A backward slant to the saddle is a feature of some high end hand mades - it redirects the forces in such a way that reduces the possibility of cracking the saddle slot, and it theoretically maintains constant intonation as the saddle height is changed, if the angle is chosen correctly.

Both my EF-500M and RCCE have the more expected forward tilt, with a slight gap behind the saddle. This distortion of geometry is exactly what a back-tilt would prevent. So if yours intonates correctly I'd say someone did you a favor.

I also notice that you have a lot more saddle showing than mine do. I'm jealous!

Fran

Here's what I got from customer service:

Normally the saddle sets straight. A new saddle may fix that problem. I recommend taking the guitar to an authorized service center for evaluation.

And then there was a link to find my nearest service center and a note about the warrantee.

I traded a guy for this guitar, so obviously the warranty does not apply. The bridge could be replaced, or maybe even filled and re-routed while still on the guitar, but I don't think either of these options would be worth it for the price for this guitar. Since the intonation seems to be good, I'll just keep it as is.

Both my Masterbilts have saddles just like yours. They both have the tilted slot bridge making them that way. My brother got a DR-500MCE a few months ago and his saddle is straight up. Maybe it was something Epi did for a couple of years only. I'll take a photo pof my guitars later tonight or this weekend.

edit - I forgot to add they sound amazing too! I wouldn't change them!

ok well I was bored so I went ahead and took the pics -

AJ-500MVS - tn_DSCF0476.jpg

DR-500MNS - tn_DSCF0484.jpg

If you guys like low action at the saddle, I thought I'd let you check out my Hummingbird's saddle. It's set up for ultra-low action to play leads on. Doesn't sound that great strumming cowboy chords though, it was only for when my brother and I play together.

tn_DSCF0478.jpg tn_DSCF0480.jpg tn_DSCF0482.jpg

Archived