Gibson Brands Forums

New Hummingbird brought home today

gijs

BEAUTIFUL GUITAR GIJS!!!!! I´ve been after one of these for a long time and now that I finally have the money I came across this problem

I found a Hummingbird Pro that is waaaaay Cheaper!!!!

I can´t seem to find any differences appart from the pickguard, the color finish and the shape which is more like a songwriter.

BUT they are both Sitka spruce top and mahogany back and sides—all solid woods, hand made, etc...

They both come with LR baggs Element system.

How is this possible? Am I missing something out?

Thanks to anyone that can help!!!

FMF

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Especially when I answered this question on the AGF for him about 2 hours ago ...

What´s wrong with that? I don´t know forum rules. I just thought different people would get the different posts and I wanted opinion from as many people as possible.

If this is against this Forum´s policy my most sincerely apologies. Should I delete them?

I´m just trying to get some help. Sorry!

Thats not the point Ferms. You dont have to hijack a whole bunch of threads with your question.

Just one would be enough, the folks here will answer your question.

What´s wrong with that? I don´t know forum rules. I just thought different people would get the different posts and I wanted opinion from as many people as possible.

If this is against this Forum´s policy my most sincerely apologies. Should I delete them?

I´m just trying to get some help. Sorry!

Thats not the point Ferms. You dont have to hijack a whole bunch of threads with your question.

Just one would be enough, the folks here will answer your question.

The point is that I thought I was reaching out to different people. Should I delete my posts?

I did not mean to bother anyone with the same question.

The hummingbird pro and artist are models (I believe) that were an order from Guitar Centre, a sizeable enough order that they have been available outwith guitar centre too.

The body shape is different as is the finishes, however both the pro and artist have had many positive reviews, but if you want the Gibson classic Hummingbird model with the hummingbird body shape and Hummingbird appointments and finish you have to pony up the extra money. The hummingbird is one of Gibson's classic designs that never goes away, as such there is a fairly constant market for them (a market I am in myself at the minute) these newer modern hummingbird models have more in common with some other Gibson's than they do with the traditional design.

You have to follow your instincts and ears and choose the one you a) like the sound of the most. B) can afford. c) think that you can settle for a long time with.

Buying the wrong one (even if its just looks on the model) will cost you more on the log run as that will remain the one you want.

There are some people who even prefer the pro model to the traditional Gibson hummingbird design so they should not be discounted straight off the block, they may or may not be for you, the only way to tell is to try one (or more) of these models. If you can't try them locally ensure your store of choice has a no quibbles return period for which you may lose the cost of shipping one way but at least you know what you want then.

Hope this helps

The hummingbird pro and artist are models (I believe) that were an order from Guitar Centre, a sizeable enough order that they have been available outwith guitar centre too.

The body shape is different as is the finishes, however both the pro and artist have had many positive reviews, but if you want the Gibson classic Hummingbird model with the hummingbird body shape and Hummingbird appointments and finish you have to pony up the extra money. The hummingbird is one of Gibson's classic designs that never goes away, as such there is a fairly constant market for them (a market I am in myself at the minute) these newer modern hummingbird models have more in common with some other Gibson's than they do with the traditional design.

You have to follow your instincts and ears and choose the one you a) like the sound of the most. B) can afford. c) think that you can settle for a long time with.

Buying the wrong one (even if its just looks on the model) will cost you more on the log run as that will remain the one you want.

There are some people who even prefer the pro model to the traditional Gibson hummingbird design so they should not be discounted straight off the block, they may or may not be for you, the only way to tell is to try one (or more) of these models. If you can't try them locally ensure your store of choice has a no quibbles return period for which you may lose the cost of shipping one way but at least you know what you want then.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply PalourMan!

I wish I had the option to walk into a store and try it out but I live in Spain and stores just do not offer that option!

Here in Madrid not a single store has a Hummingbird or a Hummingbird Pro to try out...It sucks man!!

My only option is to buy it online and that´s where I saw the HB Pro. To be honest, I have been in love with the HB for a very long time but have never really had the money. On the other hand, the Pro is also beautiful and seems to be the SAME quality and wood and it is so much cheaper that it would make my life a lot easier for the next year.

So really, I´m know that in the end it´s all matter of taste and listening but I was hoping I could get some help on this dilemma. Opinions about quality and sound differences if any.

Thanks!

Even with 10 of the same model you will notice some variety, there's a lot of handmade aspects to Gibson lines, so while this is usually lambasted as grievous inconsistency elsewhere, it's something that's applauded in other companies such as Santa Cruz or Collings.

If you're forced online for a purchase then find a place with a no quibbles return policy for something like 30 days or so, give yourself a couple of days to try it, see if you love it, if not ship it back (taking a hit on the postage) and order the other one, best advice I can muster to be honest. You have to decide how much small factors will get to you, the pro may be a hummingbird in name but they are different guitars in shape (most likely in sound too). If this is going to annoy you 6 months down the line then the pro may be a bad choice for you on the other hand most complaints of back and shoulder pain from guitarists are associated with drednaught sized guitars, less so with slope shoulder models.

There will always be good and bad aspects to every guitar model, hence the variety that's available. Pick the one you will love is the only 'correct' advice anyone can offer.

The good old HB has the standard (shorter) Gibson scale length. I believe that the HB Pro and Artist are long scale (25.5), like the Songwriter. So effectively a mahogany-backed Songwriter with finish closer to an HB. I really don't think that the wood is of lower quality, and even if it were graded lower it would be a matter of cosmetics rather than tone, as Gibson do work with quality tonewood. Scale length is a significant difference, though. Many of your replies are coming from Europe, and we appreciate the availability problem. I've also had to buy sight unseen (I suspect that Gibson acoustics are even rarer in Hungary than in Spain), and it has worked out well, but I have to say that I had a clear idea of what I wanted in terms of sound, and a sense from my old, longer-scale acoustic that a shorter scale Gibson would be the thing. EuroAussie's Thomann link is a good thing. The HB Pro or Artist sounds good there, as does the HB, and they sound different enough for you to get a sense of which you prefer.

Thanks to all of you for the help! A lot of useful information!

I guess that since the HB Pro is pretty much a totally different model that I have never tried I will stick to the HB despite the price difference. I have always loved it. I just hope I get a good one on the mail, been reading about a lot of inconsistency on Gibson´s manufacturing...fingers crossed!

Thanks again and apologies for all those extra posts! Buying the guitar of your dreams can get pretty stressful!

hi I just put on some John Pearce 700M Med 13-56 Phosphor Bronze stings on my Gibson montana Hummingbird and I hit the mother load of Sound. Really pleased, great bass, blanced med's and fantastic high's really changed the sustain on my bird, it went from real good to Great. I will be trying the same strings on my Martin D-45 next and my Martin HD-28 too. These strings were recommened by a friend who is a player and works in a music store he does all there ordering. I had tried Elixer Nanoweb med. 13-56 and wasn't thrilled with them, then Martin Bluegrass Phosphor Bronze 4250 Med 13-56 not happy at all with that sound either. By the way congrat's on your new bird!!!

Thanks man! I´m new to forums but I liked the experience. It´s great to see how you guys share this passion. I´ll post some pics of my Bird when I get it next week.

I´ll also try out those strings!

My wife is always asking, why do I need another Guitar, she is always saying, you can only play one guitar at a time. So, now she doen't want to go with me to the music store's because she's afraid I'll buy another guitar!!! Well I just might, thats how the others got here looking gives me G.A.S.

Maybe she should go with you to the music store to stop you dragging out the plastic in moment of passion ..:-)

My wife is always asking, why do I need another Guitar, she is always saying, you can only play one guitar at a time. So, now she doen't want to go with me to the music store's because she's afraid I'll buy another guitar!!! Well I just might, thats how the others got here looking gives me G.A.S.

Hi all,

Did a first recording of the new Bird. The mp3 I recorded has 2m13 of short snippets, and that two times. First you hear all the clips dry without any FX or compression. Second part is the same snippets with some EQ, compression and reverb.

I am still finding my way in recording acoustic guitars, but I think the clip gives an idea of what she sounds like. While editing I noticed I had recorded some noise as well, too bad... Oh yeah, and I have just started playing bluegrass, so my Tony Rice wannabe lick sounds a little less smooth than when the master himself plays it [biggrin]

Alright, enough with the disclaimers, here it is: www.gijsdebakker.nl:/music/Bird_test.mp3

Regs,

Gijs

Fine example – Your Bird sounds terrific, especially if it's uncoated strings (which I prefer myself). Do you still use the EJ 16s and when were these put on.

Thanks for test'n'taste -

Thanx! Yes, it's still the EJ16s you hear. They have got a couple of hours play in them, so not super fresh anymore but far from old.

Maybe the weight difference is due to a change in neck shape? I know the Les Paul standard neck was changed to that assymetrical deal a couple years ago. Or maybe the truss rod is thicker/thinner.

I thought about the neck, as it feels somewhat thinner than the previous one. In fact this neck is truely amazing (to my taste at least).

But I thought with mahogany not being that heavy, a slightly thinner neck would not result in a considerably lighter guitar. But hey what the heck, she sounds and plays fantastic!

Thats a great sounding HB you got there !

Thanks for doing a sound clip, cool to hear the Thomann jingle again, you do it REALLY well !

I thought the second tune, after the thomann jingle was where the HB's strenght really lies, thse open chords just sound so lush and honey like, brilliant.

This guitar sounds great now and I can definitely hear that it will continue to mellow out in years to come and continue to have a gorgous nectar tone. This sounds like a keeper.

Congrats !

[thumbup] Really great sounding Hummingbird & playing. I just did a post to get advice on a Bird, Dove or J-45. Got till tomorrow to get the big discount so anyone reading pipe in please!!

Congrats on the new guitar. Beautiful looking and the new pins are perfect!!

Thanks

Aster

Archived