Gibson Brands Forums

New Hummingbird brought home today

gijs

Thanks for the warm words guys!

@EuroAussie: open chords are amazing, especially when playing chords somewhat higher up the neck combined with open strings. That's how I fell in love with the Bird.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey!!!

Just got my HB in the mail today! It´s beautiful and the more I play it the better it sounds. I have a crappy camera but here is a pic.

26052011080.jpg

Problem is Im bugged out about a round spot that appears on one of the frets. It´s flat but it seems as if there was a tiny hole and it was filled with other wood. I don´t know, maybe I´m bugging out for no reason.

Can you please check it out and let me know what you think? Is this a problem? Should I return it and ask for another one?

26052011091.jpg

The hole is pretty weird, and the binding should be over the frets...did you buy the guitar new or used? Looks refretted...

I bought it new at an online store. Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean the binding should be over the frets??? What should I be looking at?

I bought it new at an online store. Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean the binding should be over the frets??? What should I be looking at?

Usually Gibson fingerboard have the binding cut at the same height of the fret, as you can see here:

Neck-Inlays-jpg.aspx?width=300&height=174

Well it's not the best picture, however you'll see the binding on the edge of the fret, not the fret over the binding...besides that the frets of your Hbird look very round, while they should be squared...of course I might be wrong and I'll leave people more expert than me to intervene...

Usually Gibson fingerboard have the binding cut at the same height of the fret, as you can see here:

Neck-Inlays-jpg.aspx?width=300&height=174

Well it's not the best picture, however you'll see the binding on the edge of the fret, not the fret over the binding...besides that the frets of your Hbird look very round, while they should be squared...of course I might be wrong and I'll leave people more expert than me to intervene...

You mean that the fret should stop right where the binding begins? The fret should not go over the white binding?

Binding is fine. I have seen three new birds over the last two years, none of them had binding over the frets. Guess they stopped doing that to make a refret easier. At least I am happy about it.

@ferm: weird spot on the fingerboard, could be a filled hole in the wood, but hey if it plays great I would not worry about it.

Binding is fine. I have seen three new birds over the last two years, none of them had binding over the frets. Guess they stopped doing that to make a refret easier. At least I am happy about it.

@ferm: weird spot on the fingerboard, could be a filled hole in the wood, but hey if it plays great I would not worry about it.

Strange, I have a 11/2010 SC and it has the binding over the frets, I thought that the guitars were basically the same,I apologise if I made the spanish friend worry for nothing! [mellow]

Strange, I have a 11/2010 SC and it has the binding over the frets, I thought that the guitars were basically the same,I apologise if I made the spanish friend worry for nothing! [mellow]

An SC?

My new Bird doesn't have the binding over the fret's either....brand new out of the box...

Thought it was strange as this is usual Gibson thing, but as gijs says, makes re fret easier and cheaper...

That mark is odd, but look at it like a beauty spot on a woman..if it doesn't effect playability then don't worry about it...it makes your Guitar unique..

She's still a beauty.. [thumbup]

Guys, when I bought the Sheryl I played a lot of guitars, two Martins (D-28 and HD-28S) and four Gibson (Southern jumbo Aaron somebuy I don't know, two J-45 and...an Humminbird)

I swear that the Hbird had binding over the frets...and it was recent, 2010 or 2011. Exactly same neck as the SC, which was a little disappointment, I thought the SC had a 43 mm nut.

However in the end mine sounded better than all these guitars! :D

That mark is odd, but look at it like a beauty spot on a woman..if it doesn't effect playability then don't worry about it...it makes your Guitar unique..

She's still a beauty.. [thumbup]

Hahahahahah! Dude you are awesome! Thanks man!

Archived