Gibson Brands Forums

Where to get a guitar refinished?

Stupify

I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio Vintage Mahogany in Worn Cherry that I'm thinking I'd like to get refinished (Solid Color, Glossy Finish, Faux Binding, etc) as I don't like the finish of the "worn" feel especially since purchasing my Les Paul Traditional a few weeks ago. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could get a quality job done at a reasonable price? I don't even have a clue as to how much it would cost or where to look. I'm located in NC. Thanks in advance!

Gibson Repair and Restoration in Nashville does finish work. You can email them at repairrequest@gibson.com or call 1-800-444-2766 extension 2283 Monday - Friday between 7:00 AM and #:00 PM Central time. Early mornings are the best time to reach them by phone. Thanks.

Although it may seem somewhat impractical monetarily, I'd like to keep the Studio and get it refinished. It was my first Les Paul so it has a special place in my heart. I love way it plays and the sound. I'd just like a color change and a little different feel on the neck with a new finish. Thanks for the responses to both of you!

Stupify,

Since you have an attachment to the studio and would like to keep it, I would follow BobB's suggestion unless you can find someone locally who does great work. After the work is done I would really like to see the before and after photo's.

Kenny V

The good news is that you are dealing with nitro, but the bad news is wrapped up in the binding and any other mods that you're looking at. Refinishing isn't cheap already, but you may be able find someone through www.reranch.com and the sites connected with it. It's really geared toward hobbyists etc. but you can probably locate a luthier through one of those websites that will do the work well. Watch out for cheap though! In guitar work you pay for what you get. Let us know how it goes.

• 7 months later...

Ed Roman in Hollywood California does color and even top wood changes and they are virtually undetectable as being not original. He builds guitars for celebrities and specializes in fixing broken guitar necks. I asked him about changing my black Les Paul classic to Alpine white and replacing the fret markers with white and he quoted the job at 1300 dollars. There are a lot of pictures of his work on his site. Google Ed Roman Guitars. You will find it. He has MANY pictures of celebrities from Ace Frehley ( a frequent client ) to Jake E. Lee to Chuck Berry to Ted Nugent.

Gibson Repair and Restoration in Nashville does finish work. You can email them at repairrequest@gibson.com or call 1-800-444-2766 extension 2283 Monday - Friday between 7:00 AM and #:00 PM Central time. Early mornings are the best time to reach them by phone. Thanks.

Yeah, great shop! BUT...you better have a boat load of money! I had an estimate done, there,

to rebind and refinish my '66 Gretsch...it was going to cost more than a NEW "White Falcon!" [scared]

Skilled Labor "ain't cheap!" [tongue]

CB

Third Coast Guitars in Chicago

or

Marty Bell http://www.martybellfinishing.com/

Both have done Les Pauls for me and both do nice work. Marty Bell, by far, is the best deal in guitar refinishing

Gibson restoration will change you more than the new price of the guitar....bunch of pretentious princesses (I said it, maybe they'll listen?)

RS same thing ---- way way over priced ----

Archived