Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic and electric

brannon67

I orignally learned on an acoustic as its what I had handy at the time, now I play both, I also found that playing the acoustic strengthened my fingers quicker making playing on the electric a bit more simple. Some people are very biased to either electric or acoustic and I think its a stupid thing to do as they are both guitars but the method and sound varies so much between an electric and an acoustic.

I started acoustic - on a classical guitar back in the folkie era. Then got into playing rock electric and then...

I think I'm a bit odd in the sense that I wear very light strings on acoustic steel strings and I still almost inevitably play fingerstyle so... ain't much real difference for me whether it's one of my electrics or AE guitars.

OTOH, if I went back to pre-bluegrass or bluegrass stuff in a group, yeah, I'd probably put a little heavier strings on and flatpick.

m

I have three different guitar hats, Classical, Plectrum playing acoustic player (I love gypsy jazz especially) and also blues/rock electric guitarmsp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif I dabble with shred guitar mainly so I can keep up with some of the kids I teach who love all that kind of stuff

I learned on Classical Acoustic, then became interested in the various tones available with electric

Always enjoyed finger-style and play Bach etc on an electric

Currently exploring the 'semi' world of 335's etc

Most recent aquisition....a cheap J160e copy which is amazing plugged or unplugged....think Beatles

V

:-({|=

It's all in phases and whatever the current gig requires. I played acoustic guitar for a living in the early 90s. Then started playing electric regularly in recent years, and now I'm playing bass in my current gig. Whatever you gotta do!

Both, and both fingerstyle or with pick according to what the music requires. I started on classical like so many here, and for me keeping my fingers up to scratch is a bit like keeping the faith; I practise without a pick more than with. But I made beer money as a student playing trad jazz, and learned that in an acoustic setting there's nothing like a plectrum to keep you in the mix. Even when the band let me go electric, I found that a pick gave me definition through the rather muddy practice amp which was then my only available output. I also taught myself some **** Dale and Lou Reed tricks, and that sort of mix of speed and aggression requires a plectrum. Would like to achieve Matt's Gypsy Jazz chops, but from Misirlou to Minor Swing there is something more than just precision and speed. (I don't even have the precision bit most of the time...) Currently more acoustically slanted, as I've just bought a new Southern Jumbo, I have kids who need something a bit quieter at night when I mostly have time to play, and I am living apart from half of my possessions including my beloved but half-broken Fender Pro Reverb. That said, when I ordered my SJ, I also ordered a new packet of strings for my electric, on which I recently broke the third string. So when the parcel arrived in the post, I got a new G string and a Woody all at once. Thankfully I'd also ordered a humidifier. Nothing like a damp sponge to calm things down when it all gets overexcited.

oddly enough lately I've been messing around with an old squier strat my brother gave me. First time I ever played an electric, I guess I didn't realize how easy it can be to add some distorsion and make pretty killer sounds!

I play both. Even got a couple of Semi-hollow bodies trying to sound acoustic on my electric. I love to play both and I play lots of different styles of music.

Can't beat sitting on the front porch playing on an acoustic and watching the sunset. Wouldn't want to go a day without blowing the cobwebs off the wall with the various Electrics either.

Myself, I find I play more acoustic now more then ever. I was always playing electric years ago, in hair metal bands, but the older I get, the more I want to mellow out, plug in less, and just kick back and play acoustic more and more. Although, I sometimes plug in my acoustics. I find myself liking and playing more acoustic music also. I love sitting around with my friends who play, and jut jamming, picking stuff out, etc on acoustics.

Bluesrob...

Try 9s on an AE, at least if you're a fingerpicker. I'm giving a shot at the "Zebra" AE 9s.

You don't get the depth of heavier strings, and you probably will have to mess with the truss rod if the action already is low, but it works rather well.

m

Have been playing strictly acoustic for about 9 years. Living a a solar house had something to do with it, but getting into Piedmont-style pretty much turned my world around, musically. A whole world to explore, right there.

Bluesrob...

Try 9s on an AE, at least if you're a fingerpicker. I'm giving a shot at the "Zebra" AE 9s.

You don't get the depth of heavier strings, and you probably will have to mess with the truss rod if the action already is low, but it works rather well.

m

Milod, thanks for the info on the strings. I'd like to play an acoustic. Didn't know there were 9s for AEs. Don't know much about acoustics! Do they have truss rods that adjust? Can the bridge be altered? I suppose it depends on the make and model. Well, it does give me another guitar to research, and that's always fun! I play with a pick, by the way. Basic blues.

Bluesrob...

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DR-Strings-ZEBRA-Acoustic-Electric-Lite-942?sku=456035

They also make 10s and 11s for AE usage.

I'm not sure how much "better" they are than, say, Ernie Ball electric strings. I'm still experimenting for myself.

As far as I can tell, all current Gibson and Epiphone acoustic and acoustic electric guitars do have truss rods, even the least expensive Epis.

I do a lot of blues too - but fingerpicking as I've done basically since 1963. If you flatpick the 9s, depending on the technique and the type of "electric" pickup/piezo setup, you may not be all that happy. The light strings do not, in my opinion, respond very well in terms of sound to harsh technique.

m

Archived