Gibson Brands Forums

Hello

Larps

Hello there

Larps here. I just signed up and I'm just trying to get acquainted. I have been a Gibson player for over 40 years and I don't think there's a Gibson guitar that I don't like.

I only have one right now. 1966 ES 355TDC that I bought new. Actually my dad bought it and I painted the garage to pay him back. That was one expensive paint job, even back then, ($367.50 before taxes).

I have played just about everything. Including Fender, Gretsch, Martin, etc., I always come back to my 335. Right now I do have a Strat and a Martin D-35. I do love the sound of the Strat, but I'm just not comfortable playing it. I can play it but it doesn't fit right, not like my 335.

I am a fan of Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour and others. Some day when I can afford one I would like to get a 335LC I have read up on those and I like what Gibson has done with the fret board and other little tweaks that are there. Maybe someday.

For amps, they are both Fenders. 1975 Twin Reverb, and a early 90's Blues Deluxe, (main work horse). My pedal board is humble, which consists of Boss tuner, Blues Driver, Delay, with a Electro Harmonix chorus and a Sho Bud volume, and that's it. I want to change the Blues Driver to more of a Dumble overdrive sound, but that will have to wait.

Well, that about covers it for now. My thanks for those providing this forum and I look forward to spending a lot of time here.

I do have one question. What is the current status of the Gibson amps, the GA RVT 40 and 42, (is that the right model numbers)? Are they still being made and if not what are the current or future Gibson amp offerings? They look great, cosmetics etc., and how do they sound? I am interested.

Thanks again

Larps (Larry)

Hey, Larry!

Welcome to the forums! It's a fun place here, and there are a lot of really knowledgeable/helpful people. Even if you don't have any questions you need answered this place is also just a great way to waste time! msp_flapper.gif

Welcome, if you could share some pictures of your guitar that would be awesome, we'll post the links if you need help uploading. However judging from your proper forum formatting for long posts I don't see you having any trouble. Welcome to the zoo!

Welcome, if you could share some pictures of your guitar that would be awesome, we'll post the links if you need help uploading. However judging from your proper forum formatting for long posts I don't see you having any trouble. Welcome to the zoo!

Pics or it didn't happen!! eusa_dance.gif

Hello there

Larps here. I just signed up and I'm just trying to get acquainted. I have been a Gibson player for over 40 years and I don't think there's a Gibson guitar that I don't like. I only have one right now. 1966 ES 355TDC that I bought new. Actually my dad bought it and I painted the garage to pay him back. That was one expensive paint job, even back then, ($367.50 before taxes). I have played just about everything. Including Fender, Gretsch, Martin, etc., I always come back to my 335. Right now I do have a Strat and a Martin D-35. I do love the sound of the Strat, but I'm just not comfortable playing it. I can play it but it doesn't fit right, not like my 335. I am a fan of Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour and others. Some day when I can afford one I would like to get a 335LC I have read up on those and I like what Gibson has done with the fret board and other little tweaks that are there. Maybe someday.

For amps, they are both Fenders. 1975 Twin Reverb, and a early 90's Blues Deluxe, (main work horse). My pedal board is humble, which consists of Boss tuner, Blues Driver, Delay, with a Electro Harmonix chorus and a Sho Bud volume, and that's it. I want to change the Blues Driver to more of a Dumble overdrive sound, but that will have to wait.

Well, that about covers it for now. My thanks for those providing this forum and I look forward to spending a lot of time here...

Thanks again

Larps (Larry)

Larry, welcome aboard the Gibson Forum. Looks like you've been playing quite a number of years (40). Sounds to me like you're a 335 man. Nothing wrong with that.

I once had a Cherry Red Gibson ES-335 (1988), but had to part with it. 335's are great guitars and being a fan of both Larry Carlton and Lee Ritenour you've got

the right axe. I always wanted to get another 335, but since I had a 335 style guitar in my Epiphone Sheraton guitar I went for the Gibson CS-336 when I had the

money. It's a smaller body size, but looks just like a Dot ES-335. The body is semi-hollow with a carved Mahogany back and carved Maple top w/ 2 '57 Classic

humbucker p'ups. So I can get the sound of both the Les Paul and the 335 all in one package. Pretty cool. [thumbup]. You've got a nice and foot pedal mix, too.

Still play your Martin D-35? I have one of those (1983 150th anniversary model). I just got it totally refreted and it plays like brand-new again. Hope to see you

'round the Forum. Got a great bunch of guys and gals of all ages and musical tastes.

Welcome Larps

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for 335's. Although I didn't always know it. My FIL went to some Ozarks musical production and bought the tape. We watched it at his house. It is primarily a family business with a few extra instrumentalists. They played a lot of contemporary stuff for most of the show. Then near the end of the show 'Dad', started playing some 50's and 60's country songs. "That sound! That is the guit tar sound of my youth! What is it?" It was a blue ES335. Just something about that guit tar that, to me, says 'Country.'

If I were to shell out money for an electric, it would be a 335.

Welcome!! I'm new here too, and I know nothing :rolleyes:

All the tech talk still making my eyes cross.

I'm mainly a vocalist/pianist, but I love guitars (pretty pretty) and hope to play someday with enough hours put in (which I don't have time to, right now). And I always need guitar players to co-write with and help me produce tracks -- the main thing I own is my vocal cords ... LOL.

Here mainly cuz Damian says it's a fun place to hang. And it is!

[biggrin]

Enjoy the ride!

Welcome!! I'm new here too, and I know nothing :rolleyes:

All the tech talk still making my eyes cross.

I'm mainly a vocalist/pianist, but I love guitars (pretty pretty) and hope to play someday with enough hours put in (which I don't have time to, right now). And I always need guitar players to co-write with and help me produce tracks -- the main thing I own is my vocal cords ... LOL.

Here mainly cuz Damian says it's a fun place to hang. And it is!

[biggrin]

Enjoy the ride!

Ya know, Linda... i have a couple of pianos in my house...so when you come by to jam, you can use them too!

Archived